The campaign is really fantastic for those than normally skip them

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions The campaign is really fantastic for those than normally skip them

This topic contains 11 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Sathra 8 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

jpinard

I know a lot of people don’t necessarily play campaigns in games where you have random maps to play, but I’d suggest everyone should give it a try. I’ve become very attached to my Leaders over the course of the 6 campaign maps so far. The later Elven campaign maps do get very hard, but you can always get some advice here to complete them (though you may need to replay a map a few times). Just make sure you have a lot of spare time 🙂

SpookerT

I enjoyed the campaign, but I have one problem with it. It will be either too easy or too hard on the top difficulty level depending on the playstyle that appeals to you, and the easy way is contrary to the narrative.

The computer starts with many fully developed cities and leveled up leaders. You start with just your heroes, a few units, and whatever other units you can pick up quickly from event triggers near you starting location. This means that AI could easily crush you like a bug within a few turns if it was not held back by the scripting. If you play the map the intended way you will spend many turns trying to build an empire before you engage the computer. But chances are that you can never overcome its huge advantage in cities pumping out the best units, so once it starts really warring with you it will still crush you after all your labors and time spent building a kingdom.

But on the other hand the computer starts with poor forces defending its cities and isn’t in any hurry to build better/more in the beginning. That means you can take your heroes (who can be quite fearsome if they leveled up enough in previous scenario) and whatever ragtag army you can round up really quickly and go take the computer’s cities over in a rush. You instantly get access to all that gold income and production of best units, and the rest of the map is just mopping up. You won’t even be using your own races, you will become your enemies and and use their own racial troops to finish them off.

It may have been better if the computer started with much less developed infrastructure but more numerous armies and was more proactive about holding on to its cities and counterattacking in force if they get captured by the player.

jpinard

Very fair points SpookerT. I do have to admit, I got very angry at one of the maps as I had to replay it so many times – but… the campaign was so interesting I did not want to give up. That rarely happens.

Jet Jaguar

The developers have mentioned that they have plans to really improve diplomacy. This will help the random map games far more than the campaign (where diplomacy and diplomatic stances are meant to be pre-set).

So I’m going to play the campaigns now and wait to play random map games (against several AIs) when the developers introduce their additions and improvements to diplomacy. I’m very glad to have the campaigns while I wait because this is a fantastic game and I’d hate to stop playing it while waiting for diplomacy improvements.

If you play the map the intended way you will spend many turns trying to build an empire before you engage the computer. But chances are that you can never overcome its huge advantage in cities pumping out the best units, so once it starts really warring with you it will still crush you after all your labors and time spent building a kingdom.

Actually, that’s not the intended way to play the campaign. As someone else said turtling in the campaign is akin to Frodo and Sam taking a month off of their quest to grow potatoes. The whole jist of the campaign is that things are happening and they’re happening fast. Sundren doesn’t have time to dwaddle in the swamps with Goblins building “an empire.” She has shit to do, and it needs to be done now.

There is a sense of urgency in the game and you’re meant to keep moving forward, not to stop for 100 turns to get all your cities to metropolises. This is one of the biggest problems people have struggled with.

As for the OP, I have to agree. This is the only TBS game that has a story really worth following and missions interesting enough to keep you playing. I’ve always loved that about AoW. I don’t even know how many times I’ve played through AoW1 campaign I did it so frequently.

Sathra

Yeah, playing through the 4th Court mission (islands), I’m really enjoying. Blitz the AI so they stop bothering me, then look around at the map and various little vignettes scattered around.

The small lake with the trolls, nymphs and scoundrels (kinda disturbing), the earth elemental sitting alone in a blasted pocket, the pirate cove.

Flyingpenut

I feel like the single player campaign is way underrated these days. It not only gives you a way to gain a better perspective of the game but also gives you a chance to play the game in a relaxed atmosphere when you just want to play a quick game. AOW has always excelled at this.

melkathi

Actually, that’s not the intended way to play the campaign.

Thanks for pointing it out. Saves me the trouble of doing so… again 🙂

But I have to admit, it is an interesting way to look at things:
    If way A can make it nearly impossible to beat a mission, and way B allows you to beat the mission without much hassle, then obviously way A is the way it is intended to be played, way B is the way it was not intended to be played and the mission is terribly balanced 😉

Nekohime

The campaign was great would have been nice with higher difficulties having better leveled AI heroes or more buffed AI. However some of the rules for each map was nice. Some maps i took way longer then i should have like elven court mission two pre first patch i went to 200+ turns because the AI rouge and AI warlord kept going after one city plague of brigands,anarchy,dread siege constantly so i was getting loads of xp for all my heroes.

The campaign you had missions you needed to rush while others you could putts along at your own pace. I would have loved more campaign missions for both sides especially if you chose to do certain things.

The fifth eleven court campaign if you chose stop the war threw me off the first time. that sudden 20 turn time limit threw me off the first time,but after i restated i did things different i had 14 cities by turn 60 when i finished majority of those were underground the rest were captured.

Certain maps i liked i would love to play custom games on the campaign maps or have scenarios.

I kinda wish for some more customization options. I would love to fight a AI who has 10 or more cities on a map while i start with a settler or being able to raise the AI heroes level while your hero starts at one.

There was a lot of little details and things that left me open wondering during the campaign i did several saves especially on the choice missions before i chose so i could go the other route. I wish i could have found out where the laughter was coming from at the shrine of the frozen beauty in the fourth campaign map of the commonwealth where you got the choice. There is plenty other little details in the campaign.

Now one little tip i found while playing the campaign is every time you restart the map different neutral mobs are placed at each location. So if your not happy or don’t fell confident or take too heavy losses either reload the save or restart.

Now if you don’t have time for the campaign,but want to play through it use debug mode and cheats,but be warned it could crash on you. a friend of mine did that. So they understood the campaign and story despite not having the time to truly play through it.

then look around at the map and various little vignettes scattered around.

The small lake with the trolls, nymphs and scoundrels (kinda disturbing), the earth elemental sitting alone in a blasted pocket, the pirate cove.

Agreed, after I’d corner the last AI in their throne I’d take quite a bit of time just exploring. They did a really great job with the maps, you can tell time an effort went into each one. Heck, even the scenarios are detailed. I thoroughly enjoy all the little details they threw in the maps just because they could 🙂

vyolin

Very enjoyable indeed! Does anybody know what purpose the human fortress in the north eastern valley in mission 1 serves? It did not trigger any events on coming close but I was loath to dedicate the time and resources to destroy it after having been in for a nasty surprise on the treasure right beside it.

Sathra

No idea. Human ‘watchers’ over Gamblag, or where the guys who killed Thannis were based?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.