The Great Support Project

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions The Great Support Project

This topic contains 70 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  Teehon 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • Author

AZJaguar

I for one would like to be a beta tester. :'(

The game definately deserves support and attention. A while back I wrote reviews on Steam & GoG. And because I read this thread today, I added a review on Metacritic and also added my thoughts on the Golden realms expansion on Steam.

If together we can persuade others to try the game and/or expansion it would be great!

Ravenholme

Well, I’ve attempted to revive the thread on Facepunch’s General Games Discussion board, with a small amount of success, but is depressing how little known AoW3 seems to be known in the wider world.

I do wonder if marketing the game as a 4X was perhaps a bit of a mis-step, as it leads people to have expectations that the game doesn’t quite fulfill, as it has more in common with.. say… Heroes of Might and Magic, but with some additional 4Xish elements spicing up the mix.

AwesomeLion

Why not just kickstarter the next expansion?

Ravenholme

Why not just kickstarter the next expansion?

That is personally the route I hope they go, if this expansion doesn’t do well enough.

If it includes the Shadow Realm, a couple of new classes and races, and some new mechanics, I will throw all the money I have spare at it. I still hate that I missed the AoW3 Kickstarter.

AwesomeLion

I still hate that I missed the AoW3 Kickstarter.

There never was any kickstarter for AoW3 – it got funded by Notch.

Ravenholme

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ravenholme wrote:</div>
    I still hate that I missed the AoW3 Kickstarter.

There never was any kickstarter for AoW3 – it got funded by Notch.

Huh. I was sure there was. My bad.

Fenraellis

They were originally going to do one, but Notch got to them first. 😛

Or at least I think that’s how the tale goes.

Ravenholme

They were originally going to do one, but Notch got to them first. :P

Or at least I think that’s how the tale goes.

Aha, that’d be what I remember then – I thought for some reason their was a KS that failed and then Notch swooped in.

ninninnin

just how much did notch contribute anyways?
    how will a kickstarter help if this expansion still manages to siphon money?

Ravenholme

just how much did notch contribute anyways?<br>

Well, it depends on how much this expansion brings them really.

If they don’t get enough to fund a new expansion from the sales of this expansion, a Kickstarter could help them make up the difference from the fans who would gladly contribute to one.

Ravenholme

If anyone frequents facepunch, the thread is here: http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1381155&page=2

Running up the flag and keeping the thread visible would be very handy

(I’m Craigewan there – don’t ask, it was an accident that I ended up having to roll with)

ninninnin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ninninnin wrote:</div>
    just how much did notch contribute anyways?<br><br>

If they don’t get enough to fund a new expansion from the sales of this expansion, a Kickstarter could help them make up the difference from the fans who would gladly contribute to one.

is that a sustainable strategy? what i meant is if this ginormous expansion doesnt end up paying for itself how would a kickstarter round up enough money for it to do so either?
    i wasnt considering how many people would pay extra for high fives, beta releases and sundren plushies sorta like this one

i dont know how much of a cut steam and gog take, but i wonder how much more well off they would be if we could buy from triumph directly with or without steam/gog codes
    does gog even do codes?

Attachments:

Ravenholme

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ravenholme wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ninninnin wrote:</div><br>
    just how much did notch contribute anyways?<br><br><br>

is that a sustainable strategy? what i meant is if this ginormous expansion doesnt end up paying for itself how would a kickstarter round up enough money for it to do so either?

i wasnt considering how many people would pay extra for high fives, beta releases and sundren plushies sorta like this one

Yeah, flexible funding. If the target was right, I think the core of fans could pull it off.

AwesomeLion

They would get the required funding before producing the product with kickstarter. The players pay for the developers to make it. They can’t go “under budget” with it.

Yelok

One of the main issues about why AoW3 is not that popular is because marketing.

Actually, is common to see how devs/publishers invest more money with marketing than game developement itself.

All we know, AoW3 is a great game, but it needs to be more friendly with new players and also, it needs to offer more strategy stuff to the players, because after a while, it can be a little repetitive and boring, and I´m not saying that, is what you can read in different 4X/TBS forums.

Ravenholme

Sounds more to me like a case of wrong expectations about the game.

Shadow Magic had no Civ-like strategic elements and is widely considered the most compelling (and most played) game in the AoW series. Heroes of Might and Magic 3 had no strategic elements of the sort you’ve mentioned, was far more battle focused than AoW3, and is still widely played and regarded as the best HoMM.

AoW3, like its predecessors, focuses on the battle aspect of the genre, it is not actually a 4X, but a 4X-like TBS game.

And already, with both the GR and now with the features being added in EL, it will have far more 4X blood running its veins without (thank god, because it is an oversaturated market) turning into an actual 4X.

Charlatan

To be honest, I find AoW3 much less repetitive and boring than other 4X titles. What with classes, races, RPG elements *and* with tactical combat actually boasting a second kind of gameplay.

In fact, the most exaggeratedly priced and famous title, Civilization, is beyond-arguable more repetitive and bland in my eyes.

Ravenholme

To be honest, I find AoW3 much less repetitive and boring than other 4X titles. What with classes, races, RPG elements *and* with tactical combat actually boasting a second kind of gameplay.

In fact, the most exaggeratedly priced and famous title, Civilization, is beyond-arguable more repetitive and bland in my eyes.

I would agree, and would also put that down, in part, to the focus of it. It is not a “Jack of All Trades, Master of None” title. It does what it does and it does it well. Adding feature that don’t actually accentuate that core, but stray from it significantly would weaken the whole tapestry.

ninninnin

so people look at it, think its just another 4x and dont look into it any further. and the people who want a 4x look at it, see that its not what they expect/want from another 4x and are disappointed as well.

the ball could get rolling on its own if people were discussing it so that newcomers could figure out what it was about.

Yelok

Ey, ey, ey, wait there!

The strongest fortitude of AoW3 is the combat system, (which can be improved), while the strategy factor is a little average.

People who plays 4X games, expect empire management and more brain stuff, while AoW3 has a great combat system, it lacks of empire management-micromanagement and tactical-strategic stuff.

But, at this point, AoW3 is the emperor if we talk about war and combat system, AoW3 doesn´t have any rival in that.

So, will AoW3 loose if it reinforces the strategy factor?
    The answer is no, because actually, it has a huge potential if we talk about empire management and strategic-tactic factor.

Obviously, AoW3 won´t loose anything if we talk about the combat system, because it is actually the king of that.

“Jack of All Trades, Master of None” does not apply in this case, because AoW3 got a great combat system and it has a huge 4X potential.

AoW3 has nothing to loose, while it has everything to win.

Charlatan

If it includes the Shadow Realm, a couple of new classes and races, and some new mechanics, I will throw all the money I have spare at it.

Count me in.
    Age of Wonders 1 was the first game I seriously edited and modded, and the first game I bought myself as a kid. It *must* stick around and claim it’s rightful place in RTS history, period.

Attachment

Huh. Mrs. Konpaku being placed here seems rather random.

ninninnin

AoW3 has nothing to loose, while it has everything to win.

theres a lot of elements from less combat focused 4x games that would fit comfortably in aow, but i dont want the military and magic to take a backseat to anything else either.

strategic resources or a way to transfer the bonus from neutral site upgrades would be interesting.
    it can be difficult to make full use of them when you have multiple neutral site upgrade buildings or when they dont fit your class/race. in this second scenario of the golden realms campaign there are a few clusters of fancy neutral sites in close proxemity, one of your cities has a trading post and lost city right next to it. i cant make use of both bonuses at a time because theyre both tied to the same city but i would really get good use out of them.
    another example is the forbidden sanctum right next to ancient ruins and a crystal tree, a sunken city is also in reach which wouldnt be bad in this scenario because there are tons of nagas weak to cold. but this city is only going to be producing support units to make use of the altar of bound souls. the pillar of stylites and enchanted armory would get much better use in the naga or orc cities.
    and while all this makes sense in a “you have to choose and cant always make use of everything, oh well” fashion or sometimes even from a lore and realism perspective, it would also make these neutral sites far more valuable when they are given more flexibility. they become an objective, and that is where strategy is born.

Huh. Mrs. Konpaku being placed here seems rather random.

pretend shes a sundren plushie as a kickstarter backer reward

AZJaguar

The price of the new expansion coming up I would like to talk about here.

Reading the new Tigran thread a lot of people brought up the price it should be.

We need to look at the price of what we are willing to pay, vs the price most people want to pay. If the expansion is the bare minimum that a few people want to pay then we can expect to not see another expansion. This I do not want to see. I want MORE!!!.
    Now some are willing to pay even more for the expansion than they payed for the game. This also is trouble cause more people would not pay for it or can’t pay for it due to fiances, so we wind up like if it was the bare minimum. So the pricing should be around half of the two. I would suggest $25ish or so. {I am one that would be willing to pay $40 for the new expansion to aid in support of another expansion in the future.}

Having it half way in between would benefit far more. Those that only wants it cheap would more likely bite their lips to pay for it rather than what the majority of us are willing to pay for it.

I would also suggest that it comes out with a second purchase option that gives us something special. Have that like $10-$15 dollars more for something special. This way we can keep the base expansion cheap for those with little spending money to get it, while giving loyal fans a chance to give more money to help fund another expansion.

I would also pledge if they did a fund raiser after the expansion. How is this any different someone asked? Maybe a few of us could pledge money that cost more than a few copies of the game due to lack of people to buy a copy for. A pledge idea, huge supporters can get a custom hero added to the game. 🙂 Too far fetched I know.

I for one would love to see the lizards return as a race as well. Also more spells. So I want more expansions…….Or Age of Wonders 4 😀

Helgrind

This is a great initiative! I just writed four very postive reviews on steam and metacritic. I only registered on metacritic to give my opinon on this great, epic game and help in whatever way i can to push the game forward and let its greatness be known to other people. I also convinced two of my friends to buy the game and try it out.
    I hope others at this forum who love the game do the same aswell ! It deserves the attention it should rightfully have. If this coming DLC sells well we maybe can hope for a third expansion, and we all want that.

AZJaguar

This is a great initiative! I just writed four very postive reviews on steam and metacritic. I only registered on metacritic to give my opinon on this great, epic game and help in whatever way i can to push the game forward and let its greatness be known to other people. I also convinced two of my friends to buy the game and try it out.<br>
    I hope others at this forum who love the game do the same aswell ! It deserves the attention it should rightfully have. If this coming DLC sells well we maybe can hope for a third expansion, and we all want that.

YAY!!. I am still trying to convince my roommate to buy it. He seems interested in the Tigrans.

Helgrind

Maybe the tigrans will tip the scale so he comes to his senses and finally buy the game, lets hope for that anyway. : )
    For the record, i have never been active on game forums and writing game reviews before. I have always been in the shadows lurking around on the forums and never got engaged in the communitys. AOW3 change all of that, it got me engaged and passionate about the game in a way that i didnt see coming. That has to count for something, right? : )

SikBok
    Keymaster

This is a great initiative! I just writed four very postive reviews on steam and metacritic.

Thanks for the support Helgrind : )>

He seems interested in the Tigrans.

Just look at those big cute eyes …. aaaaawh … kitty, kitty, kitty.

Helgrind

Thanks for the support Helgrind : )

Dont mention it! : ) I think the response we gamers get from you developers in terms of listening to us and making most of our wishes come true in patches and expansions have been amazing! Improving and expanding on a very epic and great game from the start.

AZJaguar

Well some good news. Yesterday I played someone on Multiplayer and he stated that he had just purchased the game and started to play it due to a review he had recently read.

So we should keep this up. Those that have not should write reviews as well. Get more sales in so the devs could possibly bring us another DLC after this one. 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.