Theocrat endgame

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

This topic contains 1,253 replies, has 52 voices, and was last updated by  Ericridge 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1,111 through 1,140 (of 1,254 total)
  • Author

NINJEW

Dread hasn’t need to use tight formation, because cannon barrage on juggers.

hahaha what

No, a Dread does need Tight Formations, because a Dread very specifically needs to keep melee units off of its machines, and the more you spread out the more difficult that is to do

if you are suggesting that the dreadnought exists ina situation where all opponents die before they can even reach the dreadnought well, first off what you’re seeing is likely a massive skill disparity because that’s simply not the case in two equal cost armies (or even close to equal cost), and secondly if that was the case, that’d be a pretty severe cause for calls for Dreadnought to be nerfed

Wrong. Dread economics is most powerful in game. Also Golems with Great Blacksmith and Mana Fuel Factory become extremely cheap (around 65 g + 16 mana).

Dread specializes in spending all of his gold immediately (such is the price of high production), so cost of units is actually really important.

By the time you can research Mana Fuel Factory, which is a t5 research, the game will be late enough that Golem effectiveness has diminished to the point where they aren’t really useful to have around in your main armies anymore, and you’ll have transitioned to racial T3s instead.

Ericridge

Dread hasn’t need to use tight formation, because cannon barrage on juggers.

One moment please, It’s mortar barrage. Thanks. 🙂

Meanwhile Mortar barrage suffers damage reduction to range but not cover cuz it fires indirectly. Its one of things that you can keep in mind in order to reach the juggernaut in melee safely.

Zaskow

if you are suggesting that the dreadnought exists ina situation where all opponents die before they can even reach the dreadnought well, first off what you’re seeing is likely a massive skill disparity because that’s simply not the case in two equal cost armies (or even close to equal cost)

Actually lucky jugger could destroy half of stack from one attack. Also if you get your cavalry of flyers to machines, they simply move back from your units and shot them down from close distance.

By the time you can research Mana Fuel Factory, which is a t5 research, the game will be late enough that Golem effectiveness has diminished to the point where they aren’t really useful to have around in your main armies anymore, and you’ll have transitioned to racial T3s instead.

Cast a few times reset spell for skillbook and you see Mana Fuel Factory much sooner.

One moment please, It’s mortar barrage. Thanks.

I meant this: http://age-of-wonders-3.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Fire_Broadside

Bouh

Wrong. Dread economics is most powerful in game. Also Golems with Great Blacksmith and Mana Fuel Factory become extremely cheap (around 65 g + 16 mana).

Money still isn’t an infinite resource, and production of units takes time, and moving the units does too. You can’t parachute your units instantly anywhere by converting your gold into it, that is what summoning classes do, not the dreadnought. And golem is not invulnerable anyway, and crusader with support (units and spells) can easily deal with them.

Maybe, I should call for moderator to calm down such angry and rude child like you first?

Please do. I haven’t called anything on you. I only claimed that your statement relyed on the stupidity of the player : one who plan to use earth quake without flying or floating units do is stupid, as well as one who would plan to use hellfire or unstable manacore without fire immune units. That is a fact unless you are in some very specific edge cases. But we are talking about strategy here : how one will move available pieces together to get an advantage over his ennemy. Doing stupid moves to make the life of your ennemy easier doesn’t qualify for this.

Actually lucky jugger could destroy half of stack from one attack. Also if you get your cavalry of flyers to machines, they simply move back from your units and shot them down from close distance.

So you can have your golem and juggernought far enough from eachother to make rot inneffective but somehow your ennemy wouldn’t be able to limite the effectiveness of them by spreading his units ? You know if you consider the dreadnought player to be infinitely more intelligent and skillful than the theocrat player the outcome will not depend on unit balance…

Cast a few times reset spell for skillbook and you see Mana Fuel Factory much sooner.

This would be a bug.

NINJEW

Dude when I see Mana Fuel Factory pop up, it usually takes like 10 turns to research. It being in the spell book is not the limiter here dude.

LordTyrael

Keeper of peace has shield of light, that decrease spirit resistance, precisely what everyone is asking for. Even shadowborn mastery actualy can give you shock damage, but it’s not as good as the other two I think and peace keeper is already among the least useful spe against a dreadnought.

Water mastery offer hail storm, very powerful against the tight dreadnought formations. And healing shower doesn’t affect machines, which means you have a selective heal for you once you reach the machines.

Shield of light? Who casts that on machines, tell me the name of this novice player, 20%? Get real. It’s bad against dread, unless Armageddon is up.

Dread has this class spell, it alone can cripple the Theocrat in any confrontation. It’s calld choking fumes and you better conserve some mana for disjunction or hope the dread had a bad start and slow research for tech advantage.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by  President.

Bouh

Shield of light? Who casts that on machines, tell me the name of this novice player, 20%? Get real. It’s bad against dread, unless Armageddon is up.

Man, for litteraly dozens of pages people like you are asking for an ability to reduce spirit protection on the ennemy. this do exactly that on ALL ennemies on the battlefield.

Apparently removing spirit resistance is not useful in this matchup and only turning the theocrat into a shock based class would do it right ?

Dread has this class spell, it alone can cripple the Theocrat in any confrontation. It’s calld choking fumes and you better conserve some mana for disjunction or hope the dread had a bad start and slow research for tech advantage.

And it took 37 pages for someone to mention it ! Why wasn’t it more obvious ?

LordTyrael

Money still isn’t an infinite resource, and production of units takes time, and moving the units does too. You can’t parachute your units instantly anywhere by converting your gold into it, that is what summoning classes do, not the dreadnought. And golem is not invulnerable anyway, and crusader with support (units and spells) can easily deal with them.

Technically money is an infinite resource, city income does not deplete with time in this game. Deny cities obviously but you’re arguing like resources had an end based on fundamental resource mechanics. Dread production is the best, replacing units is the one thing Dread is good at, try replacing the dead Righteous zeal exalted.

Bouh

Technically money is an infinite resource, city income does not deplete with time in this game. Deny cities obviously but you’re arguing like resources had an end based on fundamental resource mechanics. Dread production is the best, replacing units is the one thing Dread is good at, try replacing the dead Righteous zeal exalted.

That is so twisted reasoning… I hope you are here only trying to win an argument and not actualy thinking about game balance.

LordTyrael

Man, for litteraly dozens of pages people like you are asking for an ability to reduce spirit protection on the ennemy. this do exactly that on ALL ennemies on the battlefield.

Apparently removing spirit resistance is not useful in this matchup and only turning the theocrat into a shock based class would do it right ?

We are not asking for spirit reduction as a principle, 20% spirit reduction brings a machine down to 80% protection, on a master spell, how is this going to be of any practical help? Compare it to adept spell Rot, and 60% blight reduction, that’s helpful for the blight damage user.

Apparently you’re delusional, asking for a practical tool is not asking for Theocrat to become a shock based class. If you resort to the use specialization argument, then machine spirit immunity is a privilege. Machine blight immunity has several counters, rot, wreck, degenerate , weakening. Physical has cardinal culling, degenerate, wreck. Spirit has .. degenerate.

LordTyrael

That is so twisted reasoning… I hope you are here only trying to win an argument and not actualy thinking about game balance.

Make an argument instead, i’ve only written this because you seem confused, regarding fundamental game mechanics.

Does no one rate stone skin for when a unit has to go toe to toe with a Golem?

And other than Golems, stoning is still going to do good damage against a machine.

And Zaskow, if you are picking earth mastery as a Theocrat then you are looking to use either Cherubs + earthquake (then retreat the Cherubs presumably) or Exalted + Earthquake to win big battles.

40 damage against all ground units is not to be sniffed at. Even the mighty Golems on defence (which means 14 defence + 40% iirc – someone confirm/deny, that normal guard = 20%, and defender = 40%) which = 20 defence (?) are still going to take damage.

As a Theocrat, you are guaranteed 2 flying units and a floating unit, which means Earthquake will be useful against nearly every opponent, so a worthy pick regardless, but especially good against Dreadnought.

No-one mentioned city quake yet, which won’t be a game winner but is good for harassing the Dread.

Plus slow will make those fearsome Golems almost useless as they can’t retaliate.

Plus regenerate walls to slow down the offensive Dreadnought (or anyone with Trebs).

It’s a good solid pick regardless of opponent, so as a Theocrat one should seriously consider this.

Again, the more I think about it, the only really deadly unit is the Golem, and you can tie them up with Crusaders.

I don’t think this matchup is so badly skewed as people seem to think.

EDIT: Just a thought, should Bane of the Unnatural be expanded to include machines?

Dr_K

40 damage against all ground units is not to be sniffed at. Even the mighty Golems on defence (which means 14 defence + 40% iirc – someone confirm/deny, that normal guard = 20%, and defender = 40%) which = 20 defence (?) are still going to take damage.

Defender only applies to Gold Golems. Otherwise they have 17 defense in guard mode

And shield of light means the affected unit will be receiving at least 1 spirit damage.

People here are asking for machine immunity to be reduced, and some are basing the entire premise of Theocrat = useless against Dread because of said spirit immunity, so here’s a spell that reduces that.

How is that *not* useful?

Now before you say “1 extra damage is useless,” as yourself how it can be useless if the problem is that the Theocrat is “dependent” on spirit damage as ExNihil maintains?

If it is dependent, then the extra damage is useful. If the extra damage is not useful, then the Theocrat can’t have been very dependent on it in the first place.

Either way – no problem here (spirit immunity).

EDIT: Every spec has *something* useful it seems to me.

Even Keeper adept gets you units that have meditate, which = random buff that can help tip the scales. It’s not a huge deal, but it helps.

Then rally the populace, to annoy the Dread (or anyone really). It’s more useful for reducing the Dread economy.

Master Keeper:

aura of inspiration = extra melee damage (throw it on a crusader, add heretic, and that’s + 5 melee damage against a Golem, so 17) plus inspiring aura.

Keepers creed = extra 2 defence

And ofcourse, Angels (which are basically buffed Exalted!).

Gloweye

EDIT: Just a thought, should Bane of the Unnatural be expanded to include machines?

They’d be immune to the spirit part, but TBH I don’t see why now.

They’d be immune to the spirit part, but TBH I don’t see why now.

Yeah even just the + 5 fire damage would be more useful than any suggestion offered in this thread so far.

It’s interesting, because ever since the first beta, there’s always been some sort of complaint against the Dreadnought.

Originally, Flametanks were “op”

Then it was Musketeers.

Then Engineers were UP and Dread was UP as well due to no machine healing.

Then Engineers got maintenance (which was bitterly contested iirc) and flashbang (a change I liked).

Then Golems were t3 and considered too good, so they became t2 and it seems they may be too good again.

Cannons were considered OP at one point, so they had to be reloaded and shifted a bit.

Honestly, this has to be the most changed class since release, especially in Eternal Lords.

Sometimes I think people have certain conceptions from earlier versions of the game and aren’t seeing things as they are now.

That’s easily understood – perception inertia or something it is called.

Ericridge

I meant this: http://age-of-wonders-3.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Fire_Broadside

Ahh firing broadside. It can decimate a tier 2 stack that’s surrounding the juggernaut but that’s about it. It does physical 25 which is same as old cannons for dreadnought, they used to be at 25. Plus it’s radius is about two hexs wide. And it’s one time per battle ability, not even reassemble can bring fire broadside back.

I’ve swarmed a large group of 6+ juggernauts on one side of battlefield plenty of times, with my warbreeds, golems etc they went nuts with fire broadside.. I think I lost like only two warbreeds because I swamped them with 12 warbreeds. And that is without wind ward active.

If you can endure the fire broadside, and force the juggernaut to not forcibly disengage from melee because it would take too much damage otherwise then the juggernauts is the ones who is now in trouble not warbreeds for they can take their time in dismantling the juggernauts carefully. Even when a flame tank comes by, it means he has to torch the juggernauts too in order to hit the warbreeds.

And that’s not all theocrat can do, theocrat has the option of acquiring fire mastery then engage in hellhound + hellfire cheese. etc etc

Zaskow

Dude when I see Mana Fuel Factory pop up, it usually takes like 10 turns to research. It being in the spell book is not the limiter here dude.

If you have only 70 RP/turn on appearing T5 spell, you develop your empire not enough.
    In ideal conditions it’s possible to get Juggers research before turn 40.

And Zaskow, if you are picking earth mastery as a Theocrat then you are looking to use either Cherubs + earthquake (then retreat the Cherubs presumably) or Exalted + Earthquake to win big battles.

Earthquake won’t save you if Dread attacks your cities. Also I could research Armageddon much sooner than Earthquake.

Plus slow will make those fearsome Golems almost useless as they can’t retaliate.

How much times you can cast Slow? 3, 4 times? Enemy could cast something much powerful than slow.

Plus regenerate walls to slow down the offensive Dreadnought (or anyone with Trebs).

Hah, typical Dread won’t waste turns on shooting walls. He will cast Seeker and kill your units on walls.

Again, the more I think about it, the only really deadly unit is the Golem, and you can tie them up with Crusaders.

Only orc crusaders are tireless.

Now before you say “1 extra damage is useless,” as yourself how it can be useless if the problem is that the Theocrat is “dependent” on spirit damage as ExNihil maintains?

In case of tough Dread units – yes. It’s useless.

They’re so effective against spirit immune targets with their 10 physical dmg attack…

NINJEW

At turn 40 golems are no longer useful, which was the original point. I dunno why you’re bringing up juggs,, I think you’ve got some wires crossed there

If the dread is attacking your cities youre pretty boned, that is absolutely the favored territory.of the dread

Crusaders dont need tireless to stop golems from moving away, why do you think they do? That has nothing to do with anything that anyone said

Zaskow you seem to be under the impression that dreadnoughts are just an invincible powerhouse by the time juggs are out. Do you believe that the dreadnought is a balanced class, or an OP class, in general?

Ericridge

Zaskow, that’s only if Dreadnought has air adept!

You’re acting like a Dreadnought is an overpowered wizard king with access to all spheres and specializations unlocked on turn 1 and only has to research the class stuff.

Bouh

That’s it, we reached the “nothing matter but my solution” point.

Make an argument instead, i’ve only written this because you seem confused, regarding fundamental game mechanics.

Ok, so you absolutely don’t care of what we are talking about, you are only looking at winning an argument, and your only requirement is to make a logicaly true sentence.

But on the real game, when you actualy play, you never have an infinite amount of money available, and the time it takes you to gather it and produce your units actualy matters a lot. Funadamental game mechanics you said ?

You’re acting like a Dreadnought is an overpowered wizard king with access to all spheres and specializations unlocked on turn 1 and only has to research the class stuff.

That’s what all supporter of a theocrat buff do from page 1 actualy. And that’s why I’m asking for real and defined situations from page ~10. There is no real situation where theo vs dread is imbalanced, there only are situations where the theocrat screwed up or has been outplayed. But as people strictly refuse to give situations, this can’t be stressed in their words. They prefer to stay in vague and holow theory crafting.

Zaskow

At turn 40 golems are no longer useful, which was the original point.

Why do you think so? You can build Golems-experts and they becomes cheaper than cavalry with Dread upgrades. They stay useful as meat metal shield at least.

Zaskow you seem to be under the impression that dreadnoughts are just an invincible powerhouse by the time juggs are out. Do you believe that the dreadnought is a balanced class, or an OP class, in general?

Well, Dread with juggers becomes unstoppable. No one other class can’t compete with them in late game. Maybe, Warlord, but he is melee class mostly, so here is Dread advantage.
    Also I think that easy access to units with 2 full immunities ruins the balance in game and looks illogical from lore reasons.

Fenraellis

Well, Dread with juggers becomes unstoppable. No one other class (can) compete with them in late game.

Wait… since when?

NINJEW

Well, Dread with juggers becomes unstoppable. No one other class can’t compete with them in late game. Maybe, Warlord, but he is melee class mostly, so here is Dread advantage.
    Also I think that easy access to units with 2 full immunities ruins the balance in game and looks illogical from lore reasons.

So do you think Dreadnought should be nerfed?

Zaskow

Wait… since when?

Especially, since Armored trait for Juggers.

So do you think Dreadnought should be nerfed?

Not class entirely. I suggest some immunity nerfs to machines here.

Bouh

That is a case for nerfing the dreadnought late game, not buffing anyone else.

BLOODYBATTLEBRAIN wrote:
    Earthquake won’t save you if Dread attacks your cities. Also I could research Armageddon much sooner than Earthquake.

Then what’s the problem if you can get Armageddon out before Earthquake?

I was listing specs to show that Theocrat has options, and this is not a one sides match.

You haven’t bothered answering the question I asked both here and in that other thread:

What is the Dread doing against the Theocrat that is so bad that he doesn’t do against every other class?

BLOODYBATTLEBRAIN wrote:
    How much times you can cast Slow? 3, 4 times? Enemy could cast something much powerful than slow.

How many times would I need to cast it?

Rendering even just 1 or 2 enemy units useless for the fight could win the battle. That is why slayer’s doubt and Stiffen limbs are so useful (but slow is better as it allows free attacks as well).

BLOODYBATTLEBRAIN wrote:
    Hah, typical Dread won’t waste turns on shooting walls. He will cast Seeker and kill your units on walls.

If he has air adept. Oh wait…I might have air master, seeker won’t help against wind ward or haste.

We’re back to “but Dread might have this thing,” conveniently, so somehow that makes the entire matchup one sides.

BLOODYBATTLEBRAIN wrote:
    Only orc crusaders are tireless.

So what? You aren’t going to ignore any Crusader.

BLOODYBATTLEBRAIN wrote:

Define “tough” and explain why it is useless. Extra damage is never useless imho.

And it would be at least 1 extra damage, ontop of physical (boosted by heretic) damage, and that alone might be enough to swing the fight.

I bet if mark of the heretic conferred 205 spirit weakness you wouldn’t be saying it was weak.

They’re so effective against spirit immune targets with their 10 physical dmg attack…

They will do the same job as Exalted, but do it better, plus 3 of the 5 random meditate effects will directly buff it against machines.

I was using Keeper of the Peace as an example of how even a “bad” (as in non obvious) specialisation pick still gives you options.

However, you don’t seem to want to read the points I was actually making.

I’ll spell it out for you:

Specialisations give more than enough options for a Theocrat fighting a Dread. Infact, that is why you ahve sopecialisations.

Step 1:

Pick a race, or a class, with the strengths and weaknesses in mind.

Step 2, Pick a race, or class (depending which you picked in step 1) and here you want to either compensate for a weakness, or boost a strength.

Step 3, pick your specialisations, again looking to compensate for a weakness, or boost a strength.

7 classes.

9 races.

3 adept specialisations.

10 that can be adept or Master.

All of that and you are seriously going to tell me that the Theocrat has no options?

Hell, even in the “worst case scenario” which is a Human Theocrat who picked Explorer, Expander and Partisan, and thus has no direct counters, there are still options:

Cheaper Settlers (so you could get a better economy based on higher number of cities – all dependent on map size and setting ofcourse) or throw net on a very cheap to recruit and maintain Civic Guard.

Innate extra 10 production (so unless the Dread is also Human, then he will only have an extra 10 production in cities which have mana fuel cells).

Evolving Cavalry, with racial governance they evolve even faster.

Knights are always fun.

There’s nothing stopping you using a repair machine item and building Trebs. The only thing that can outrange a Treb is a Cannon, so you can put on some pain with Crusader + Treb comboes, healing your Crusaders with your hero, then your machine with the same hero. That’s also a more efficient use of space than bringing a Builder along.

Your scouting will be superior, in general, but with partisan army, you will see everything the Dread is doing and he won’t have a clue. That makes Exalted harassment much easier. A concealed, fast unit with 5 hex vision means you will be able to see when he leaves his cities, and swoop in and raze (hasty plunder would have been nicer, but we’re working with the “worst” case scenario here).

Master Cartographer means you’ll see every single city he has.

Do you finally get my point – Theocrat.has.viable.options.

This match is not a whitewash.

Zaskow

Then what’s the problem if you can get Armageddon out before Earthquake?

What’s the sense of filling 2 precious specs slots then?

I was listing specs to show that Theocrat has options, and this is not a one sides match.

Theo hasn’t sufficient options against Dread before Armageddon. Earthquake isn’t solution, because it appears in same time with Armageddon.

What is the Dread doing against the Theocrat that is so bad that he doesn’t do against every other class?

Ignore part of main Theo damage, maybe?

why slayer’s doubt and Stiffen limbs

Which don’t work against machines. What a surprise.

If he has air adept. Oh wait…I might have air master, seeker won’t help against wind ward or haste.

We’re back to “but Dread might have this thing,” conveniently, so somehow that makes the entire matchup one sides.

Anyway Dread machines has enough damage output just to ignore 20 hp wall regeneration.

They will do the same job as Exalted, but do it better, plus 3 of the 5 random meditate effects will directly buff it against machines.

They work against machines terribly, Meditate buff is good, but small and can’t decide the fights.

Specialisations give more than enough options for a Theocrat fighting a Dread. Infact, that is why you ahve sopecialisations.

Your choice is useless, when you don’t know what enemy you will meet. Are you so blind? Other classes have certain solutions against Dread regardless class and race.

I was using Keeper of the Peace as an example of how even a “bad” (as in non obvious) specialisation pick still gives you options.

These options are so crappy vs. machines that can’t be considered as “options”.

Cheaper Settlers (so you could get a better economy based on higher number of cities – all dependent on map size and setting ofcourse)

What if you meet Human Dread?

throw net on a very cheap to recruit and maintain Civic Guard.

Hah, good luck to use this against machines with high def.

There’s nothing stopping you using a repair machine item and building Trebs.

Yeah, it’s very clever to use Trebs against reinforced units.

Do you finally get my point – Theocrat.has.viable.options.

Your arguments are far-fetched and very weak against machines. Sorry, but that’s true.

Bouh

Your choice is useless, when you don’t know what enemy you will meet. Are you so blind? Other classes have certain solutions against Dread regardless class and race.

What if you meet Human Dread?

So, if I understand you correctly, the dreadnought is optimized as much as possible, with human because of the synergies with dread and air adept for seeker for even more synergies, but the theocrat has to rely solely on his class stuff, and not on race and specialization.

The theocrat has to shoot himself in the foot, and he has to not use his early game advantage, and I guess he has to let the dreadnought win so he needs to be buffed so that even if he does everything he can to lose he will still win. I undnerstand, very legitimate arguments.

Zaskow

So, if I understand you correctly, the dreadnought is optimized as much as possible, with human because of the synergies with dread and air adept for seeker for even more synergies, but the theocrat has to rely solely on his class stuff, and not on race and specialization.

As always you understand wrong. Dread doesn’t need additional moves to beat Theo reliable, when Theo must dodge before Armageddon. In case of same skill level of players one chance for Theo is rushing as soon as possible.

I undnerstand, very legitimate arguments.

As usual you pervert arguments to insult people. Try to do much clever, dear child.

Viewing 30 posts - 1,111 through 1,140 (of 1,254 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.