Things from AOWII you'd like back…

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Things from AOWII you'd like back…

This topic contains 54 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  Fikol 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 31 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author

Unterweltler

how is shocktrooper the new warlord? just because both are orc melee? warlord was a commander with high lvl of leadership on high rank which was huge. shocktrooper has nothing that comes even close to that trait.

also roundattack, nuff said.

UltraDD

Rift\Chaos lords and magic servants. The first was scary to suddenly attack your scouts\defenders because it was almost immune to everything but fire and physical attacks. The other was better than having 0 damage vs heavily armored low res units.

Astraflame

how is shocktrooper the new warlord? just because both are orc melee? warlord was a commander with high lvl of leadership on high rank which was huge. shocktrooper has nothing that comes even close to that trait.

also roundattack, nuff said.

IIRC someone once said, a dev stated it. They just changed the name into ShockTrooper since the former name was given to the Class, Warlord. Round Attack and all else was replaced by Tireless as the new ultimate melee ability. But obviously you’re right, the units have nothing in common except both being the Orc elite melee unit.

Incarnates.

Because incarnates.

Yes, for all purposes Shock Trooper is Warlord, but I too liked the look of old warlords more. But in terms of usefulness STs are an improvement in every way: they’re faster , can climb walls (useful sometimes) and all new abilities he has are better than round attack (with RA you could hit your allies ,did little damage, miss often and it was useless against fliers). Warlords were cool in theory but I rarely built them as they were too slow and expensive. If playing orcs I went for life stealing shamans, doom bats & abominations.

Wintermoore

I wish leprechuans join the fey dwelling as a T4 support unit.

Leprechauns in any way would be awesome!
    Kharaghs too, they’re practically AOW signature creature.

Charlatan

I think this was discussed somewhere already and the Devs stated, that having multiple-body units (i.e. pretty much all >=T3 units) perform a ‘Round Attack’ would seem extremly weird

I’m a bit lost with the logic 0_o

For one, in my head it sounds a lot easier for a group to strike in multiple directions, rather than one dude slaughtering everyone (tho the latter does have a nice sound to it)

Secondly, we already have special abilities that hit a wide range, like Fire Blunderbuss, Fire Broadside. To have more physical forms of this doesn’t seem too far off. There’s lots units in-game big enough to swipe or smash at least 2-4 hexes around them at once.

vota dc

Yes, for all purposes Shock Trooper is Warlord, but I too liked the look of old warlords more. But in terms of usefulness STs are an improvement in every way: they’re faster , can climb walls (useful sometimes) and all new abilities he has are better than round attack (with RA you could hit your allies ,did little damage, miss often and it was useless against fliers). Warlords were cool in theory but I rarely built them as they were too slow and expensive. If playing orcs I went for life stealing shamans, doom bats & abominations.

Mmm….in fact I used highman titan instead of orc warlord: similar stats and abilities, but faster and with first strike! They were still a lot better than aow1 troll (just huge damage, they couldn’t hurl boulders) or salamander (low damage and they couldn’t swim).

Eomolch

One more thing I still wonder about – we got basically all the elemental damage types back, apart from Magic being gone and Life replaced by Spirit. But oddly, no Death damage. Which makes undead rather do blight (poison) damage and be immune to that instead of an unique type of damage that only they can do. With the introduction of the necromancer class, I think it’d be a good opportunity to bring back Death damage.

I have high hopes for the death damage channel to return with this expansion and I don’t say high because I am convinced it will return but because it’s either then or never since I have my doubts any hypothetical modding tools that might be released will allow something as extensive as the addition of another damage channel. Blight damage for me just still is poison damage and nothing that would devour your life force and soul … sure, you can argue there is spirit damage for something like this but undead with spirit damage wouldn’t make really much sense since it would make them especially useful against each other.

Astraflame

Leprechauns in any way would be awesome!

Fey dwelling doesn’t have T4 unit, IMO it’s the perfect place for Leprechauns, i had forgot about Kharaghs ! You’re right those really need to come back. Since the game is lacking underground content maybe at some point there could be some sort of underground dwelling only spawning down there.

Mythabril

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Imissleprechauns wrote:</div>
    Leprechauns in any way would be awesome!<br>

Fey dwelling doesn’t have T4 unit, IMO it’s the perfect place for Leprechauns, i had forgot about Kharaghs ! You’re right those really need to come back. Since the game is lacking underground content maybe at some point there could be some sort of underground dwelling only spawning down there.

An underground dwelling for Kobolds, Nightmares, Trolls and Kharaghs. Sounds like a plan.

Joni

An underground dwelling for Kobolds, Nightmares, Trolls and Kharaghs. Sounds like a plan.

Yes please. Quite shamlessly copy/pasting a suggestion made over at the Steam forums:

Tier 1: Kobold – easy to implement as it already exists. Maybe give it a minor thing to make it sligthly less worthless (throw filth like the monkeys perhaps?)
    Tier 2a: Hobgoblin – hooded, gadgety irregular with a lot of tricks up its sleeve
    Tier 2b: Beastman/Gnoll – relatively tough, wielding a morning star or club
    Tier 3a: Watcher – easy to implement, already exists
    Tier 3b: Minotaur – hard hitting yet tough, causing fear, and looking badass of course!
    Tier 4: Kharagh – the one and only big bad beast, it has to come back at some point, and it would make for a perfect high-end underground unit!

Also, re the T4 unit for the Fey Dwelling: Fairy Dragon would be a very strong contender too.

BB Shockwave

On a related note, things I am GLAD are gone… 😉

– Ballistae. OH how I LOATHE them. Just playing AOWII, Air1 level, my blood chilled when I saw Arachne teleport an army of 7 Ballistae next to my capitol. Sure, one can wipe them out with chain lighting or fireball, but the darn things can one/two-shot my favourite units from the other side of the map if they get lucky, even killing high level heroes.
    And then Shadow Magic came and made the repeating version… 🙁
    – Glade Wardens. The new Storm Sisters and their initiates are so much more useful, the wardens had speed but pitiful HP and defense, a human crossbowman can one-shot them. And concealment not working against the AI they were not even good scouts.
    – The stupid way damage spells and resistance worked. I think the reason I stopped playing AOWII and only picked it up again like 4 years later was when on the Fire campaign, I had Yaka using bloody Flame Strike to kill my PHOENIXES. Because whatever the damage type of the spell, they bypassed immunities, maybe by having a hidden 50% physical damage, or just bad programming.
    – Utterly random damage. You could bet your life on how when you have a tough enemy unit with 3 HP remaining, your 15 level hero will oddly enough only inflict 1 damage on it with his archery, despite how its base damage is huge and the enemy’s defense is small.
    – Flying units being unreachable to melee, and the over-poweredness of ranged attacks. It’s odd how many people were against the changes in AOWIII, but playing the old game I am again and again reminded how unfair it was for archers to simply attack without retaliation from point blank range, and not be burdened by losing APs when attacked.

I wish leprechuans join the fey dwelling as a T4 support unit.

Agreed! Must say they were quite useless in AOWII (still don’t get why they never implemented the Concealment/Invisibilty to work against the AI with pacthes, it worked fine in AOWI, and works fine now in AOWIII… it’s not rocket science). Do we have proper combat invisibility in AOWIII? Maybe that’d be too strong. I expect we are getting Blurred as an effect back, since the Mystics will most likely have it.

One other thing I miss is how healing worked in AOWI – how shamans could heal units outside of combat.

One other thing I miss is how healing worked in AOWI – how shamans could heal units outside of combat.

This. I never understood why they never made this possible in latter games.

Charlatan

- Ballistae. OH how I LOATHE them. Just playing AOWII, Air1 level, my blood chilled when I saw Arachne teleport an army of 7 Ballistae next to my capitol. Sure, one can wipe them out with chain lighting or fireball, but the darn things can one/two-shot my favourite units from the other side of the map if they get lucky, even killing high level heroes.

Ballistae are the one unit I really miss >_<

I constantly used them throughout AOW1 to AOW2SM, especially the special orc version, what was it, Black Arrow?.

With some support and tactics applied these fragile machines could break waves of impossible odds.

UltraDD

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BB Shockwave wrote:</div>

This. I never understood why they never made this possible in latter games.

It does? They’ll automatically use it by themselves on a unit at the end of the turn.

ballistae would be fun. That way you could reduce the damage of trebuchets vs. non machines and walls, and have the ballistae for the anti meat unit shooting.

UltraDD

Sounds good unless the AI does like aow2! (For those who don’t know what I mean, the AI would have more ballistas than your archers when it start attacking if you don’t steal half their cities early game).

zealot83

I remember ballistae I would like to see them back defiantly.

There was that one death spell in shadow magic that put an alien chestburster parasite in an enemy that would explode out and then fight for you when they died. That would be amazing fun for the necro. Even better if they just use the cadaver already in the game so their skeleton explodes out instead.

This actually seems like it wouldn’t be that hard to do with some basic mod tools, just spawn a friendly cadaver on death.

Epaminondas

In order of preference:

8-unit stacks
    Archons
    Dark Elves
    miss chance

I can’t think of anything else that is pressing.

Fingers

For this lovely game that I don’t even have yet, I would like to see more modding capabilities, because they added so much to AoWSM and helped keep the community involved with that game for a long long time! I would like to see the same or better for AoWIII. 🙂 Also would like to see altars make a return… although… well, I guess those were in AoWI and then were left out.

Tetzer

Baby dragons that evolve Shadow Demons and Syrons.

Fikol

Hi,
    Agree with all above, for me personally:
    – Dark Elves
    – 8 stack
    – starting furher away to be able to manouver more in Tactical battle view
    – more campaigns
    – totaly agree on “miss chance”

Viewing 25 posts - 31 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.