This forum is lost for balance

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions This forum is lost for balance

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 96 replies, has 37 voices, and was last updated by  Bouh 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 91 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • Author

Fenraellis

*whoops, double post due to slow page loading*

Fenraellis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jolly Joker wrote:</div>
    An example are the Scoundrels.

I thought they were fine in the first iteration – but of course only when manually led, since the AI couldn’t handle them in a way that made them not only effective but also survive.

I really, really want someone to explain this. Precisely how did the Scoundrel get buffed unnecessarily?

I thought I knew what happened from looking at tons of records, but apparently it is not what quite a number of people think happened with them.

Evolution was changed from Scoundrel -> Assassin to Scoundrel -> Lesser Shadow Stalker. The latter being a generally more useful unit for auto-combat clearing, and which can also evolve further into a full Shadow Stalker. Oh, and Quick Learner, and Sprint being used in Auto Combat. All combined to make Scoundrels much more useful.

Dr_K

Evolution was changed from Scoundrel -> Assassin to Scoundrel -> Lesser Shadow Stalker. The latter being a generally more useful unit for auto-combat clearing, and which can also evolve further into a full Shadow Stalker. Oh, and Quick Learner, and Sprint being used in Auto Combat. All combined to make Scoundrels much more useful.

So everyone who’s held the Scoundrel up as something that was changed due to MP issues that affected SP, is actually talking about the changes to Trained Killers and the combat AI, not actually the Scoundrel unit itself changing. Got it.

llfoso

As far as I’m concerned the only thing amiss with Scoundrels/Corrupted Killers is the XP bonus being too high. Getting lesser shadow stalkers isn’t a problem, they just come out so FAST.

Anyway, another example of a heated discussion needlessly necroed by a dumb spambot.

Kaiosama TLJ

Well as people kept insisting…

Bearing in mind an actual doritos hat (i.e. a hot made out of doritos) is actually not possible, the following is but a poor imitation of the beauty made famous here (always funnier in German…)

You actually made it?! I feel a little guilty now for insisting in that joke…

P.S.: I used to eat Doritos when I was a kid. Good times, too bad they make my fingers “dirty” quite easily.

The problem is that people takes their ideas personaly, and feel attacked when I attack their ideas. This is not my fault. And no, I will not be kind to bad ideas ; they only deserve despise. Ideas don’t deserve respect BTW, they are ideas, some are better than others, the best need to be spread, and the worst despised.

The one that took to the personal side the most was you when people disagreed with anything you said. Most of the times I feel you just exagerate things, especially when they don’t “swim your way”. This thread start is a good example of this. Threads like this by the way are not new in my internet experience, but they are easy bait for some really snarky comments (and for a “good” reason, although even this don’t justify any rude feedback). You should consider yourself lucky because people in this forum are usually more mature than in other places to give more reasonable feedback.

Yes, good ideas need to passed, bad ideas need to be crushed, blah blah blah… But there’s an huge difference between being polite when giving negative criticism and raising an agressive tone and accuse someone from whining or of trolling. And most of what you considered a bad idea… well… ended up implemented in the game, and the world didn’t exploded because of that. 😉

And yes, I did saw a lot of bad ideas floating around, like many suggestions for new classes that were redundant and even weird to AoW standards like a “Gambler” class. But that doesn’t mean we should go on a crusade against them, especially since I see the devs know to use their common sense when it comes to feedback. (I know cases outside TS that were the opposite, and they backfired horribly)

And besides, sometimes ideas are not bad by themselves, but rather by how they are proposed. We need to carefully deconstruct the bad ones and maybe even salvage a nugget of gold from it. See most classes suggestions as an example again, bad ideas by themselves thanks to redundancy, but most could be turned into nice specializations.

“Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster… for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.” – Friedrich Nietzsche

You actually made it?! I feel a little guilty now for insisting in that joke…

P.S.: I used to eat Doritos when I was a kid. Good times, too bad they make my fingers “dirty” quite easily.

Kinda…hard to do it right.

It was rather tasty. Could have used more dip though.

Bouh

@Kaiosama TLJ : I guess I spent too much time on a forum where people care for what you write and not for how you write it.

You see, you talk about how mature this community is, but ultimately most people don’t even try to understand what you write. Ultimately, they argue more against you than against your ideas. And this is not different than any other internet community. This forum is not the best one I saw, far from it, eventhough it’s not the worse either. We are on internet. People are only a nickname next to some words. When they’ll realize that their person doesn’t matter, then they will be mature for internet. Until then I guess I will offend many people.

Oh, and I don’t think I ever fought ideas that were only in need of refinement. Most of the time, I fight ideas that are dangerous for the balance of the game, not only bad. Things like homogenization and wrong balance based on biased or “uninformed” feedbacks do no good for the game. And indeed some have made it to the game (not most though, fortunately, because Triumph is rather good at finding solution to stop whines without streamlining the game). But this only means I’m not good and determined enough to fight these bad ideas.

Viewing 7 posts - 91 through 97 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.