Tiered Unit Abilities

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Tiered Unit Abilities

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  hilfazer 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

hilfazer

With release of Golden Realms it became obvious to me that the game needs tiered unit abilities. By tiered abilities i mean adding roman number after the name of an ability, for example: ‘Healing I’, ‘Healing II’. One of AoW2:SM mods did that, I think it was the Unofficial Patch 1.4.

We now have abilities that differ just in strength:
    Webbing Touch and Greater Webbing Touch,
    Lucky and Very Lucky,
    Bard’s Skills and Minor Bard’s Skills,
    Projectile Resistance and Reinforced.

And there will be more of these because Triumph Studios are awesome developers and regularly add more stuff to their game.

Tiered ability could take one entry in Book of Wonders and effects of all it’s tiers would be put together in ability’s description.
    Even if that’s not possible they would at least be put next to each other since Book of Wonders sorts alphabetically.
    We wouldn’t need to remember what both ‘Projectile Resistance’ and ‘Reinforced’ do. It would be enough to remember just what ‘Projectile Resistance’ does, ‘II’ being better than ‘I’ is obvious.

It would streamline abilities and make them easier to understand. For example visiting Lucky Cloverfield would add +1 to Lucky to visiting units. So units without Lucky will gain ‘Lucky I’, units with ‘Lucky I’ will have it replaced by ‘Lucky II’ etc.

It would give more flexibility to developers. We could, for example, have tiered ‘Inflict Stun’ ability. Storm Priestess could have ‘Inflict Stun I’ and Node Serpents/Shock Serpents – ‘Inflict Stun II’. School of Enchantment would be adding +1 to ‘Inflict Stun’. This way Support units would have ‘Inflict Stun I’ and Storm Priestesses – ‘Inflict Stun II’, making them better at stunning thing than other supports which makes a lot of sense to me.

Gloweye

+1

Some pretty good things here, like the ability to change the strength of the Inflict stuns this way. It seems weird that a lightning dedicated units like Kind Shock Serpent would only be just as good as stunning as a sorcerer support learning it alongside so many other things.

Fenraellis

While I do appreciate the thought behind the logistics of similar but slightly different abilities, I do feel that something would be lost if it were to be executed in such a way. Less fantasy, and more spreadsheet. Or at least more overt spreadsheet.

Gloweye

Well, a list of unit abilities is already quite spreadsheet. I think this is just a great way to improve clearance, and since it’ll be limited to the unit ability sheet and the textual tooltips, I dont really think the spreadsheetness will increase.

hilfazer

I just like to note that game already has tiered abilities – each class has researchable CP boosting skills with tiers I – VII. So my idea is not really new (:

esvath

At the very least, these skills should be grouped in Tome of Wonders, so when I click on Charm, I can see (and click) the relevant skills such as Seduce and Domination, and the differences between these skills.

Well, a list of unit abilities is already quite spreadsheet. I think this is just a great way to improve clearance, and since it’ll be limited to the unit ability sheet and the textual tooltips, I dont really think the spreadsheetness will increase.

The naming isn’t, though. There’s nothing “spreadsheet” about the Reinforced trait, but there is about Projectile Resistance II.

If you were to do anything like this, it would be better to just change the name to be a bit clearer for some of them – example, Projectile Resistance -> Superior Projectile Resistance.

I personally prefer it the way it is now. Maybe I wouldn’t if each ability in the game had several variants, but there’s only a few currently.

jb

I think tiered abilities are already represented using the cooldown system. A great ability (high tier) has a longer cooldown period.

hilfazer

Necroing this thread to prepare myself for upcoming expansion.

I recently launched the game with beta 1.5 and checked Book of Wonders. I can see some more abilities in the form of “stronger/weaker version of X” for example:
    Life Drain ( to Life Steal ),
    Slightly Hindered ( to Hindered ).

There’s also ‘Movement Upgrade’ listed twice, differing in amount of +MP. It could benefit as well.

Previously i forgot to mention something important: AoW 1 and 2 both had tiered abilities, for example Marksmanship.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.