Triumph’s New Game to be announced May 18th @ PDXCon!

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Triumph’s New Game to be announced May 18th @ PDXCon!

This topic contains 398 replies, has 64 voices, and was last updated by  JonParkis 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 211 through 240 (of 399 total)
  • Author

Fenraellis

As Leyrann already pointed out, and Gloweye suggested, this blurb also mentions something similar:
    “Besides the typical world overview, the series’ turn-based tactical battle map will also return with destructible environments. You’ll also be able to customise your units’ weaponry, and create your own unique House. There are several victory types, including conquest, diplomacy, and doomsday technologies.”

So, there is that. Should be a nice amount of customization, with all things considered.

Leyrann

@ihunterkiller I think that this game could best be considered a spinoff, like Civilization: Beyond Earth. Considering they mention many races in previously quoted blurb, I would expect we get to see some/a lot of our classical races, but this name still leaves space for an Age of Wonders 4 someday.

@ ihunter, I totally get what you’re saying.

Reserving thoughts.

I’m hoping it’s better than Beyond Earth and Pandora.

MUCH better.

And we all applauded Arno. More genuine than slick rehearsed stuff. Go Arno!!!

And Lennart too. Awesome to see these guys in the flesh.

The dwelling of Tiberius certainly looks like a tigran colony =]

Draxynnic

I like that, although the title Age of Wonders might seem a bit out of place.

Thematically, AoW has always had a certain sense of trying to bring back a past golden age of, well, wonders, whether it’s the protagonist seeking to do so, or an antagonist. Planetfall seems to fit that theme from a science fiction perspective, with the goal being to recover from the collapse of the Star Union.

From a franchise perspective: Wouldn’t be the first time a franchise has both a fantasy and science fiction parts under a shared banner. Warhammer, the ‘Craft series, the Master of X series, Endless, and so on. Given how many other “Age of…” franchises there are, that alone couldn’t really be the connecting factor. Considering that it looks like there will be similarities in the game mechanics (at least as much as there have been when comparing other Age of Wonders games!), I think it’s a fair enough connection to make.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by  Draxynnic.

Hah cool announcement for Rome 2. Nice entrance.

Rhaeg

From https://www.pcgamesn.com/age-of-wonders-planetfall/age-of-wonders-4?tw=pcgn1

“We’re thrilled to finally announce our latest endeavor alongside Paradox,” says Triumph CEO Lennart Sas. “Age of Wonders: Planetfall is roughly three years into development, running on a new generation of our multi-platform Creator Engine. While the setting is new, we’re confident that Age of Wonders fans will feel right at home exploring the remnants of the Star Union. Our aim is to make a game that greatly expands upon its predecessors, and still employs the core principles that made Age of Wonders such a success.”

Not a confirmation ofc, but from what little we have I’d say it has little or no link with the fantasy setting. The few screenshots are also not showing us frostlings and orcs with guns and rockets. I think it’s for the best btw, just give the writers the freedom to create any kind of world and stories they want.

They probably gave it AOW in the name because it will share a lot of its principles and mechanics. It’s especially obvious in the screenshot of the overland map that’s on the new website: pretty much an AOW map only with a futuristic look. Dunno if I’d called it AOW just because of that, but I’m not as much against it as iHK seems to be (heya iHK, how’s you doing btw! *waves* ).

Fenraellis

On a semi-related note, you can really tell that they took advantage of newer technology, in regards to the graphics.

Also, that it still very much has a visual feel of “Age of Wonders,” which I really liked to see.

Imperator:Rome. Not Rome2.

Alright, time to interrogate…err chat in a friendly manner…

Chimaira

Well, though I am slightly dissapointed that it is sci-fi theme I must say it looks really promising. Retaining the AoW tactical battle greatness while making economy and diplomacy deeper? Yes please 🙂 Also it looks like they are trying to adress the things that didn’t worked well in AoW3 – for example the weakness of lower tier units in later game. Equipping items to the units to make them useful looks really nice. The concept of different regions on the map sounds intriguing, though there is little detail about it right now. Can’t wait for the release 🙂 For the guys fortunate enough to be at PDXCon – gather all the information you can get 😉

Rhaeg

Oh, BBB or anyone else on site, could you do me a favour:

could you ask someone of the Triumph team if Michiel van den Bos will be doing the music for this game? The new website has 2 songs from the game as an early unlockable reward for getting an X amount of subscribers to it, so they probably have those already and they might be willing to share this little bit of info. I’m really, really hoping Michiel will be involved 🙂

If they are taking the mantle of AoW, then I want them to give me what I loved about the game.

The mechanics are obvious and I don’t think anyone disagrees so it isn’t even worth discussing that at this point. But after mechanics, I love the lore and all the fun interactions of the races.

If you look at 40k, the fantasy setting of AoW can be translated over really easy.

Space dwarves come from mountainous planets. Frostlings are little doods from ice planets. Same biome, just planet wide. No brainier. Sure you can expand the idea but the base concept remains.

The fun part is how they play with it. Galaxy spanning dwarves would have a huge multitude of cultures and varied nations. Kinda like classes and magic domains from the AoW series.

Especially in a galaxy that has fallen apart and continued on with races trapped in pockets of isolation, which I believe will be reflected in the *build your own house* thing.

At the end of the day, the announcement is nice – but now the information on how AoW relates to planetfall would be nicer. Then I can either rest happy with anticipation. Or grumpy with anticipation.

Just be better than the crappy civ sci-fi games. I also not sure what I think about the screen shots with human characters being 2-3x the height of a ruined car….. but we will see ^^

Zaskow

Well, someone wanted AoW4, so you can count Planerfall as AoW4.
    Anyway, ‘Age of Wonders’ name sounds pretty enough ‘sci-fish’ for me. I’m a bit sad about absence AoW3 campaign continuation, but that’s dev’s decision. I’m fine with sci-fi game, but IMAO ‘fantasy’ lets more freedom when creating some exotic stuff or gameplay features without looking illogical or weird.

Age of Wonders: Planetfall is roughly three years into development, running on a new generation of our multi-platform Creator Engine.

I knew it. Similarities between games are everywhere.

MartyD81

Not exactly what I was expecting (was hoping for Aow 4) but still excited. If the new game retains the race diversity and tactical combat from Aow III and adds deeper diplomacy and empire building systems plus more paths to victory I will be more than happy! Looking forward to hearing more.

Gamling

Thanks for the announcement. The Game looks cool. I can´t wait to learn when you will release it or start an open beta. I would have liked a new direct successor in a fantasy setting but I expected something like this and that is fine. Alpha Centauri was a big favorite of mine, and this game looks much more promising than for instance Gladius or beyond earth. While I do think the combat is the heart of the AoW games, I wouldn´t mind some more mechanics for empire and city building. But not like in the civ games where the game is reduced to building ques, I would rather have things like the Alpha Centauri environment system so that we could terraform the planets more realistically.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by  Gamling.
    • This reply was modified 4 years ago by  Gamling.

I’m just speaking to For me, the dev doing the environmental assets.

He says:

larger battlefields.

interactive stuff on the battlefields.

possibility for a form of battlefield concealment as an ability (cover etc).

Bob5

Word from Tombles: There will be Dwarves in this game. Undead will be a bit like cyborgs, units that survived the catastrophe due to their augmentations, they’re essentially reanimated with technology and will be a dwelling.

Chimaira

Well I guess we will get AoW4 in fantasy setting in future. Maybe devs thought it would be too much of the same stuff to release another game in the same theme one after another, and they wanted to try something new 😉

I’m just speaking to Corne, the dev doing the environmental assets.

He says:

larger battlefields.

Draxynnic

Space dwarves come from mountainous planets. Frostlings are little doods from ice planets. Same biome, just planet wide. No brainier. Sure you can expand the idea but the base concept remains.

Given that all of the screenshots we’ve been shown thus far have been on the surface with no space layer, it looks like the context of any given scenario is competing over a single planet at most, not over an entire system or galaxy. So we probably won’t be seeing single-biome planets.

That said, theoretically speaking concepts from fantasy AoW could still be brought into the game. Some of the races at least are established to live on worlds other than Athla – Elves, Humans/Archons, Syrons, Shadow Demons (looks at screenshots and hrrmns), and Undead at least. The planetbound nature of the scenarios could be explained if interplanetary travel is achieved largely via portals rather than crossing the gulf of space.

It’s still need to be in a different era than the fantasy setting where the archons are claiming worlds with enchanted swords and bows, but it could work as a ‘same multiverse, different era’ thing.

Low_K

The game looks a lot like Civilization and if it plays as well as Civ V does, I am mildly enthusiastic. I don’t know if the AoW feel is there, but it is still early.

My criticism regarding possible DLC shenanigans must have penetrated to the highest Paradox Overlord as my e-mail address is appearantly banned from subscribing to the newsletter, nor reaping any rewards. This doesn’t bode well for the future. 😀

Kind regards,

Low

MartyD81

I’m just speaking to For me, the dev doing the environmental assets.

He says:

larger battlefields.

Larger battlefields? Interactive stuff? Now you got me pretty excited!

Destructible terrain e.g. barrels.

Leader and hero units.

Units can be upgraded and changed to meet different threats.

Rhaeg

BBB, ask them now if Michiel van den Bos will be doing the music, that’s the only important thing to ask right now! 😛

Mr.Lost

What about the class system?

Gloweye

Sadly, stack size is confirmed to remain at 6

Arnout
    Keymaster

@rhaeg Yes Michiel van den Bos is doing the music! The tune played at Planetfall Announce is actually the main title tune of the game made by Michiel 🙂

Gloweye

Also, races will be more important than classes

Gloweye

Intention is to release with mod tools, but there are no promises about it.

Production and research overflow are confirmed.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by  Gloweye.
Viewing 30 posts - 211 through 240 (of 399 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.