Triumph’s New Game to be announced May 18th @ PDXCon!

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Triumph’s New Game to be announced May 18th @ PDXCon!

This topic contains 398 replies, has 64 voices, and was last updated by  JonParkis 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 241 through 270 (of 399 total)
  • Author

Rhaeg

@rhaeg Yes Michiel van den Bos is doing the music! The tune played at Planetfall Announce is actually the main title tune of the game made by Michiel 🙂 />

Ok, I’m sold! *tears of joy*

Even if the game turns out to be complete crap, I’d still have a good time listening to the soundtrack, while playing crap.

I was actually wondering if that was his music, thought it could be, but it was a little short to say for certain. Now subscribe to the website all you peeps so we’ll unlock the 2 soundtrack songs 😛

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by  Rhaeg.

Taykor

No. Nonononono. No. NO!!!
    How the hell is this AoW? HOW? You could do sci-fi as you wanted, but this is not even close to AoW. Stupid disgusting marketing.
    So no. No to sci-fi. And hell NO to a fallout. Hate it.

Gamling

I think the stuff with multiple worlds is a good idea. That way each game play can become very different with different klimats and environments. You could have fallen city planets, desserts, ice planets, jungles etc. If we have some sort of resource system demanding water, food and heat and other stuff that changes depending on planet would we have something similar to the class-race system making each game more diverse.

they have posters!

MartyD81

Sadly, stack size is confirmed to remain at 6

Not a big deal for me, a smaller stack forces you to think harder as to what kind of units will be in it and how specialized the stack will be. I am more interested to know how many units we will be able to bring to the battefield and how the adjacent hex rule will work.

Leyrann

I think the stuff with multiple worlds is a good idea. That way each game play can become very different with different klimats and environments. You could have fallen city planets, desserts, ice planets, jungles etc. If we have some sort of resource system demanding water, food and heat and other stuff that changes depending on planet would we have something similar to the class-race system making each game more diverse.

Agreed. I hope that a map is only a single planet (the star map that’s part of most space 4X games is one of the main reasons I’ve stayed away from them), but using portals like caves or Shadow Realm portals to go from one planet (=map layer) to another would actually be amazing and not have any of the downsides of a star map.

Gloweye

Strategic maps are single planets.

Leyrann

Do you know for certain if they’re flat or round? I’d assume flat but it can never hurt to make sure…

Race is flavoured by class. Inversion of AoW3.

6 “major” races. Several “technologies” which *roughly* correspond to class.

Tombles just described 3 basic racial melee units, emphasising core differences with theme. In other words, more unit and racial differentiation built in.

Ditto unique mechanics for races.

Tombles also mentions trying to make sure t1 units do not become obsolete. Via upgradeable/modules.

Anbella

I have one question, then in buy it.

Hotseat?

Leyrann

I have one question, then in buy it.

Hotseat?

I doubt you’ll need to worry about that. Hotseat is by far the easiest way to play multiplayer in TBS games, and in fact I don’t think I’ve ever seen a TBS without it. Age of Wonders has in the past even allowed you to simply set slots to player or AI in one and the same screen, integrating hotseat and single player completely.

Guys, to clarify, I’m not saying each race gets 3 melee units.

“Space Dwarves.” I’m allowed to say that.

Embargo has been lifted, so there are some journalists that have played the demo. Look out for that.

Also, permanent flying is back.

Tombles is talking about AI. And they’re really serious about making an AI that “can play the game,” (paraphrasing his words.)

There are drones in the game in some way, shape or form.

“Gas bomb” area denial tool. Hehe.

There are “several dwelling races,” with “more of a map presence.”

Jolly Joker

So let me ask to make sure: There will be both races and classes, but Class will be more like a “big specialization” to pick?

Word from Tombles: There will be Dwarves in this game. Undead will be a bit like cyborgs and will be a dwelling.

Perfect! Then I am happy and eagerly waiting ^^

Also, races will be more important than classes

Wow, so both are confirmed again. This is awesome. Looking forward to seeing the balance between them – great news.

larger battlefields.
    battlefield concealment as an ability (cover etc).

Awesome. That means planting traps on the battlefield! I love that idea, it was hotly debated for AoW 3

What about battlefield elevation? Will there be hills, ravines, etc and do they effect overwatch/accuracy? Or is it a flat battle map in the style of AoW3 ?

@doods at the con, tysm for getting info for us! =]

Gloweye

BBB, bob5 and i are now attending the panel including lennart. If we learn stuff, well let you know.

Edit: we also learned that theres probably 4 or 5 dwelling like races. Diplomacy will be more relevant than in AoW3.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by  Gloweye.

So let me ask to make sure: There will be both races and classes, but Class will be more like a “big specialization” to pick?

Not sure at all.

What about battlefield elevation? Will there be hills, ravines, etc and do they effect overwatch/accuracy? Or is it a flat battle map in the style of AoW3

I’ll ask later.

Also, adjacent hex is still in.

Someone asked Tombles about Endless Legend hahaha.

Had to suppress a smile.

heliopolis

It looks like Civ Beyond Earth… and not Age of Wonders…. I will give it a try probably when it comes out but eh. Not what I expected.

Would much rather we get an HD remaster of AoW1+2+SM. Widescreen support, 4k high DPI res… like Age of Empires Definitive Edition. Oh well. Take what you can get I suppose.

Gloweye

New concept: sectors. I had a chat with sikbok, where he elaborated on them. In the screenshots of the strategic map, you can see grayish borders around sectors. You can capture them to kind-of merge them to cities. Each sector as a whole is controlled by a player, and you can capture sectors from each other. Some sectors might give unique boneses to cities, ranging from tech to unit upgrades. Others you can build cities in.

Sectors are a descendent of the mystical city upgrades. But where those were tacked on later, sectors have been part of the core design all along. Which gives much more options to what they can do.

Makes sense, any idea how the varied regions work?
    Do you launch from orbit and found/claim a colony anywhere you want (as the title name would imply)?

6 “major” races. Several “technologies” which *roughly* correspond to class…. unique mechanics for races.

Great news, I just hope the tech plays a big part too and isn’t too limited. Tbh Varied technologies sounds more like schools of magic than classes. Unless it’s things like dreadnought = mech, rogue = speeders, etc

There are drones in the game in some way, shape or form.
    “Gas bomb” area denial tool. Hehe.

Sounds like a lot more mechanics going into limiting your options with movements, which I like. Giving critical decisions! Nice one.

Any changes to campaign map vision and line of sight? Seeing hidden caverns when underground simply because of view range, or seeing what’s on the other side of a mountain with non flying units. That really annoyed me and ruined the feeling of exploration.

Edit: we also learned that theres probably 4 or 5 dwelling like races. Diplomacy will be more relevant than in AoW3.

Stop the presses! Whaaat. This is the best news yet

Zaskow

Well, one main question remains. When release will be?

New concept: sectors.

Fascinating! Thank you gloweye

Gloweye

Heard from tombles: campaign will be totaly different. While main story lines are fixed, most of the maps will be rmg like generated. This also causes secondary storylines with consequences in later campaign levels.

Well, one main question remains. When release will be?

Early 2019 according to the website. Already in development for 3 years iirc from someone else quoting something ^^

Gloweye

So far, devs have confimred that at this moment, there will not be a more precise release date than “2019”. Thats all well get for the date.

Draxynnic

Makes sense. With the likelihood that there’ll be more ranged attacks in a typical battle, it’ll be harder to force stalemates by picking off the units that can harm your flyers and then letting the turn counter run out.

Heard from tombles: campaign will be totaly different. While main story lines are fixed, most of the maps will be rmg like generated. This also causes secondary storylines with consequences in later campaign levels.

This is an interesting topic for me as typical random story maps always fail for me. They don’t feel :epic: but random.

So my question is, To what degree are the maps randomly generated?

The primary problem with random campaign generation is that you are then no longer playing a scenario but rather a random map with some story content tacked on. Whereas a story is supposed to be a set path.

So how do story elements tie into this, how much personal and planned design goes into campaign and skirmish maps and what about event scripting? Is it more general objectives, go to this planet,best the dood come back alive. Or is it objective based.

Anything like the shadow gates from aow3?

Gloweye

During the announcement, lennart made it sound like the majority of units will be ranged. Im convinced this made then allow permanent flying back.

Edit: we didnt hear much more about the campaign. But i think thats really a balance that has to be found on a case by case basis per scenario. I think of it like sidequests in rpgs, but i might be wrong of course. However, i think thisll make the campaigns much more replayable.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by  Gloweye.

Regarding the sector connections, these can be broken by enemy players.

So you can engage in an economic war it seems.

Viewing 30 posts - 241 through 270 (of 399 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.