[Tutorial] Campaign Editor Tool

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Modding and Map Making [Tutorial] Campaign Editor Tool

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  DezGot 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Charlatan

Campaign Editor Tool

This tutorial covers the settings you can find in the campaign tool of the AOW3 Editor.

First, ignore the error messages and click yes (unless you are a Triumph Studio Programmer :P)

First we need to create a package – which exactly comes down to what it says, it’s a package of user content. Go to Tools => Package Manager and then File => New

Fill in whatever you want, then save. The Editor will tell you the path.

The structure is pretty simple. Maps you create go into Maps, Campaigns into Campaigns, shockingly unexpected.

Now we’ll create the campaign for it.

Go to Tools => Campaign Editor and then File => New

Save it in the Campaigns folder of your package folder.

Now you’ll get options. Firstly, ignore “Localized String”, we only need “Custom String”

Here is what the fields mean, but here’s also a tl;dr Example

A – Screen Name
    The title text shown for your campaign in the main menu.

B – Description
    The smaller text underneath it.

C – Image Name
    The name of the image you want for the campaign “banner” in the main menu. Images go into the “Campaign Images” beside where you just saved your campaign. The image should be 920×240. So, if your image is called “Bananas.png”, then Image Name” has to be “Campaign Images\Bananas.png”

D – Map Image Name
    Same as above, but this can be used as a default map image for the first screen after starting – the one that shows the character, difficulty settings and turn based mode. This is only needed if you want the same map image for the campaign – you can set own images for every map if you want. In our example I’ll call it “BananasLarge.png” It also belongs into “Campaign Images”

E – Data Store
    Only important for scripts. Here you can store data values for the whole campaign, if you ever did any scripting, all I have to tell you is that this stores booleans, strings and numbers (not sure if its integer or float here)

F – Sorting Priority
    This number simply allows the game to understand which campaign to show first in the list. The highest number will be on top.

G – Creator
    You!

Thats fine for now, let’s add a map then. Create a map (select Campaign Map when creating it, it can’t be changed later, and Scenario Maps won’t work!) and save it in your package folder into “Maps”. Then click Add under Campaign Scenarios.

More confusing fields! But they are pretty straightforward actually:

A – Name
    The large Text shown in the short intro text

B – Sub Header
    The smaller text underneath, you know it as “Sundren’s Story” or “Ernest’s Story”

C – Description
    I couldnt find this one yet

D – Lord Link
    Allows you to link the player’s lord to the map, how to get options here is explained later – it seems AT THE MOMENT only vanilla game lords can be used.

E – Briefing
    Allows you to set up a chain of pages and texts like the mission intros of the vanilla game. More on this further down.

F – Debriefing Default
    Same as above, but for the regular De-BRiefing / Outro

G – Debriefing Alternate
    Same as above, for an alternate ending / outro based on map decision.

H – Map Image Name
    Same as in the campaign properties. If you leave this blank, it’ll use the one from above.

I – Map Voice File Name
    Goes into the “Sounds” folder of your “Campaigns” folder. Has to be .ogg format.

J – Map Page Texts
    Do you remember the location names on the campaign map images before missions? These are not on the image itself, but you can set them here, with size, font, rotation etc, so you can use the same map with different notes. Quite optional, really.

K – Unlocked
    Whether the scenario is unlocked from the start, or some ingame event or condition has to unlock it first.

= About Briefing and Lord Link=
    You already know the drill with the strings and other data fields by now. In the Briefing property, you can create the various pages of a map’s intro, with scrolling text and sounds. But, your list of Lords and Music is empty. Here’s what you do:

Go to Content => Resource Packs then Add and go to your AOW3 folder. Here in AoW3\Content\Title\Packs add AoW_Audio.rpk and AoW_Lords.rpk

Now if you go back to Background Music Link or Lord Link, you’ll have a list of the game assets, note that – I think – at the moment you can only use vanilla lords.

= The Result =

Main Menu Button
    Intro Name and Sub Header
    Map Image Name
    First Briefing Page
    False Safety

Package for reference: Download

Narvek
    Keymaster

Really awesome stuff here!

Charlatan

Really awesome stuff here!

Thanks! But Narvek, the repeated access of both tutorials and all the other images are slowly straining my webspace – could we get a larger limit on file attachments for tutorials?

That way the tutorial would also no longer depend on my webspace to be online. 🙂

Arnout
    Keymaster

Sorry this not something we can easily do I’m afraid. Isn’t there any free image upload solution? Like http://imgur.com/

Charlatan

Sorry this not something we can easily do I’m afraid. Isn’t there any free image upload solution? Like http://imgur.com/%5B/quote%5D

Gonna give it a try! Are these reliable? Free convenient things always make me wonder where the catch is 😉

Maybe then I can increase the image quality again, at THEIR cost of server load, gnaha, GNAHAHHAARRR ! (ò_ó)

Sunicle

Gonna give it a try! Are these reliable? Free convenient things always make me wonder where the catch is ;)

I don’t know Imgur, I’ve always used Photobucket, every time I upload an image I’m getting a video ad popping up, I need to perform an extra click to get rid of that, so that’s the catch you’re talking about. I expect Imgur to have something similar, but for the viewers of your posts there should be no ad pop-ups.
    If there are, you would be at the wrong type of image hosting site.

Gloweye

Are we still unable to use text localization and lord/hero libraries?

Any chance that we’re getting those two options along with mod tools?

Narvek
    Keymaster

On text localization I cannot comment at the moment, if you mean whether you can add/change the hero/leader libraries then that should definitely be possible with mod tools.

EDIT: text localization should work

DezGot

On text localization I cannot comment at the moment, if you mean whether you can add/change the hero/leader libraries then that should definitely be possible with mod tools.

Tell me how to edit the hero/leader libraries?

Narvek
    Keymaster

You will have to wait until we release the mod tools.
    aow.triumph.net/age-of-wonders-iii-modding-support-update/

We’re writing the modding guide now, I’ll see if a specific example on adding heroes/leaders to the game can be added.

DezGot

Well I will wait. 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.