Tweak Purging Undead Cities

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Tweak Purging Undead Cities

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  smeagolheart 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

smeagolheart

I find the undead race really a huge pain. Their whole turn the whole town into undead so that you lose whatever race was there before is a huge huge deal that is way different than any way the other classes treat the races. I find it exploitable and game breaking.

For example, I just capture a new city of tigrans underground. Then Bozo the Undead leader attacks me and takes the city. 2 or 3 turns later I get another army there and retake the city. It’s become an undead city by then and it’s totally ruined.

I have to purge the now undead Tigrans out. Bam they are gone. No more tigrans. Choices are to purge it or raze it. I must install my base race of High Elves underground and they really don’t like that. The cities morale is now in the toilet and I lost access to Tigran racial units. My neat little underground base is totally trashed.

And that’s just one example, their racial purging is totally nuts. While, I get the why of the concept, in practice it’s just irritating.

I’d like to see a bit of a tweak to it to be able to return a city to a previous race that was there. Or maybe make it take like twice as long for undead to take over cities.

I don’t know, something? How would you fix that or do you think it doesn’t need fixing?

Gloweye

My neat little underground base is totally trashed.

Well, because you let it be taken..

I don’t think there’s any need for “fixing” here, cause there’s nothing broken.

Ghouling a city takes 4 turns. You had plenty of time to retake it.

If anything, you were lucky the necro decided to ghoul. Any class could have simply migrated your tigrans away, probably faster, for the same result.or raze the city in two turns.

In any case, gloweyes point remains: if you thought having tigrans was so important, then defend your only tigran city.

Or make a settler as back up to keep that race. Anyone can migrate your city or destroy it, in which case you would still lose the original race.

smeagolheart

I agree that any race can migrate out a race, but undead ALWAYS migrate out a race.

And I play without city founding so making settlers is usually worthless though I guess I could have made a settler, in my tigran city that had only a builders hall and nothing else, and been prepared to raze the city and rebuild it if a necromancer decided to ghoulify it. I would have defended my tigran city, it was only my second city, I didn’t have enough of an army to split between leaving a powerful defense force and adventuring out and about and protecting my throne city yet.

Anyway, that was just one example of it really really being a bad situation. I find that the undead automigrating out the race of a city to always be a bad game mechanic. They always migrate out the race, no other race does that.

Shaithias

Honestly I wish raze city RAZED a city entirely. As in deleted the entity, and left ruins that could not be rebuilt on that specific hex.

Gloweye

I didn’t have enough of an army to split between leaving a powerful defense force and adventuring out and about and protecting my throne city yet.

Well, you took a gamble and lost, but getting a city you couldn’t defend.

smeagolheart

I didn’t have enough of an army to split between leaving a powerful defense force and adventuring out and about and protecting my throne city yet.

Well, you took a gamble and lost, but getting a city you couldn’t defend.

Indeed, a second city is a gamble. Losing the race automatically is my issue.

Gloweye

Part of the first gamble IMHO.

smeagolheart

Part of the first gamble IMHO.

well and good. I’m not talking about that time. I said I think it’s not right how it works every time.

Undead ALWAYS migrate out the race. That may be cool for your race but playing against a undead I hate it.

Fenraellis

Riddle me this… where would the replacement Tigrans come from? Real life logicality of Undead beings aside, this makes simple logical sense. If a race is all turned Undead, then there isn’t anything left to work with to populate the city with Tigrans. Now, if you were to have access to a living settlement of Tigrans, then sure, you can ‘Purge to Tigrans’. Without that, though? No dice.

You can’t replace something(Ghoul Tigrans) with nothing(non-existant living Tigrans), after all. As others have pointed out, thought, this is a different side of the coin of someone going in and replacing those Tigrans you wanted with any other race you didn’t want to use(or had trashed the racial relations of), effectively forcing you to ‘purge’ to Elves regardless.

Yes, Ghouling is more extreme, but it’s also pretty extreme for the Necromancer player, too. They don’t have a choice of having Ghouled towns, with all the penalties therein, and only two meaningful advantage(No Morale penalties and potential for bonus rank to all produced Undead).

smeagolheart

Riddle me this… where would the replacement Tigrans come from?

If I had to make something up maybe they kept a few alive and while the town has been turned to ghouls there’s some who survived like one named Rick or something. Or maybe Ghouls are supposed to eat living people right? For food and stuff? So they have some squirreled away for food.

Yeah I get what you are saying. I just don’t like it as a game element. I guess it means in any game I play if I run into a Necromancer that dude becomes my #1 enemy.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.