Two nitpicky linguistic isues.

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Two nitpicky linguistic isues.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Hatmage 7 years ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Hatmage

Sorry for not providing this feedback earlier: Disjunct is not a word – try “Disjoin”. And the goblin butcher wields an enchanted lifestealing bardiche, not any sort of halberd. I did say I was nitpicking. And thank you for the wonderful game.

unmog

Well despite the fact it is a word…

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/disjunct

It doesn’t necessarily have to be regardless, as it is the name of a spell… and names can be anything.

Otherwise I don’t know off the top of my head what the butcher wields exactly as Im not currently looking at it, but you are probably right since I remember thinking the same thing. Or, maybe a really crappily made halberd.

And crappily probably isn’t a word~ :p

Charlatan

Woah, a powerful magical spell uses an unusual, unknown word as a name? The outrage! The vainglory! What drove Triumph to such wanton shenanigans?

By the hells I just realized “abra cadabra” is not a real word. My childhood was a lie!

(Disclaimer1: Statement may contain sarcasm)
    (Disclaimer2: sorry couldn’t resist :p)

NINJEW

Halberd to Bardiche is a good change. Disjunct would be a silly thing to change.

Wintersend

I agree on the polearm thing. Although it could be argued that its more of a Glaive than a Bardiche.

On disjunction. Even if it’s not a word it should stay. A Junction is where two things meet, like say the strands of power interwoven into a spell or in electrical engineering where electrons go across a gap. Disjunction would be removing said weave or blocking the area where the magical energy must flow through. Canceling out the spell.

Bonus piece of trivia. Dictionaries don’t actually record the meaning of words, they record how words are used. Two totally different things. We’ve actually lost various meanings of words due to this.

unmog

Bonus piece of trivia. Dictionaries don’t actually record the meaning of words, they record how words are used. Two totally different things. We’ve actually lost various meanings of words due to this.

My main point being is if its in a dictionary it is still a “word”, as the fact it does appear in language to describe things and help people communicate~. Regardless of meanings etc, which I agree losing meanings of words sucks.

Adding a prefix to a word doesnt make it suddenly not a word, like disable for instance… or disenchant, which are similar words~ Unpower? That might not be a word though… I dunno, might be. :p

About prefix’s though,

a prefix is an affix which is placed before the stem of a word.[1] Adding it to the beginning of one word changes it into another word. For example, when the prefix un- is added to the word happy, it creates the word unhappy.

See, changes a word into another word, my main point being they are still words. Plus new words for things get “created” all the time. But, it’s still a name… so it doesnt matter if its a word or not.

Wintersend

Yeah, as just one example of something that is really useful that we’ve lost is the original meanings of Yes, No, Aye, and Nay.

Aye was a positive answer to a positive question. “Did you go to the store?” “Aye”
    Nay was a negative answer to a positive question. “Did you go to the store?” “Nay”
    Yes was a positive answer to a negative question. “Didn’t you go to the store?” “yes” (I went to the store)
    No was a negative answer to a negative question. “Didn’t you go to the store?” “No” (I did not go to the store)

The things in Parenthesis being what we’d need to add on now for our response to be clear.

unmog

I still use all those words, so, I dont think theyre quite “lost.” I RP a lot though so I like older words. Like using They as a singular non gender specification of a person, or Thy.

I understand about the yes no thing though, but, again I dont think thats lost either since I always have to make people specify “yes/no what?” since it can sometimes be confusing.

Wintersend

I approve of that use of They. Thy actually referred to one of lower rank. You was to refer to an equal or superior. Y as in Ye is actually the thorne, a letter which makes the th sound. I can discuss antiquated modes of speech with the best of them.

Stormwind

I think the process of losing words is entirely evitable. You just need to use the unusual words every now and then in conversation, though do it in a couth manner.

Hatmage

Woah, a <span class=”d4pbbc-underline” style=”text-decoration: underline;”>powerful magical spell</span> uses an unusual, unknown word as a name? The outrage! The vainglory! What drove Triumph to such wanton shenanigans?

By the hells I just realized “abra cadabra” is not a real word. My childhood was a lie!

(Disclaimer1: Statement may contain sarcasm)<br>

Abracadabra means “by speaking I create.” It is a very real word. Just not Ænglisce. Do not get linguistically pedantic with me. You cannot win.

On disjunction. Even if it’s not a word it should stay. A Junction is where two things meet, like say the strands of power interwoven into a spell or in electrical engineering where electrons go across a gap. Disjunction would be removing said weave or blocking the area where the magical energy must flow through. Canceling out the spell.

Junction means joint, the act of joining two things, and similarly, disjunction is the act of disjoining two things.

And if I could I’d bring back the original definition of jealousy to stop people using it as a synonym of envy.

I approve of that use of They. Thy actually referred to one of lower rank. You was to refer to an equal or superior. Y as in Ye is actually the thorne, a letter which makes the th sound. I can discuss antiquated modes of speech with the best of them.

There is still a remnant of this grammar in the ‘royal we’; Also, you are confusing ye meaning y’all with ye meaning þe. Ye is to you as thee is to thou, which is to say it is used when giving directions (“Have at thee!”), or otherwise when the person you are mentioning is doing something (“how fare ye”), whereas thou/you is used in description (“thou art a thrice inbred degenerate and an affront to all good men”).

Charlatan

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Charlatan wrote:</div>
    Woah, a <span class=”d4pbbc-underline” style=”text-decoration: underline;”>powerful magical spell</span> uses an unusual, unknown word as a name? The outrage! The vainglory! What drove Triumph to such wanton shenanigans?

(Disclaimer1: Statement may contain sarcasm)<br><br>

Abracadabra means “by speaking I create.” It is a very real word. Just not Ænglisce. Do not get linguistically pedantic with me. You cannot win.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Wintersend wrote:</div>

Junction means joint, the act of joining two things, and similarly, disjunction is the act of disjoining two things.

And if I could I’d bring back the original definition of jealousy to stop people using it as a synonym of envy.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Wintersend wrote:</div>

There is still a remnant of this grammar in the ‘royal we’; Also, you are confusing ye meaning y’all with ye meaning þe. Ye is to you as thee is to thou, which is to say it is used when giving directions (“Have at thee!”), or otherwise when the person you are mentioning is doing something (“how fare ye”), whereas thou/you is used in description (“thou art a thrice inbred degenerate and an affront to all good men”).

Hm… a suspicious stream of theories and assumptions made self-appointed facts, with a dressing of wikipedia and obvious baits, just enough to throw people who are not experts on the topic off-guard.
    Oh, I see. Trolling. Why didn’t you say so earlier? I almost thought you are serious. Please, go ahead.

Hatmage

What have I said that is incorrect?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.