Unofficial Reveals

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Unofficial Reveals

This topic contains 62 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Hijallo 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 63 total)
  • Author

Hijallo

Since it’s already past November and we definitely didn’t see official info and videos about another classes…

I understand that some Dev’ become ill and therefore all this things started to crumble. However, keeping your promise is an essential part of good behavior. May be someone from Dev team who is reading this forum could give unofficial “overview” or “guide”? I’m sure it’ll help beef up hype and create a food for thought (and forum holywars!).

SmurfInHell

I’d like to second this notion. Holy wars are a great way to keep forums healthy 😉

What promise are you referring to?

Hijallo

Do i need to find a straight quote? That part about 1 class/every month before release.

Yeah, I remember seeing it. But was the word “promise” actually used when they said that? In order for something to be promised it needs to be well…promised. I don’t think a general statement counts.

Arlow

i hope who ever is ill feels better soon
    and when there’s periods of time without news i like to hope it’s because of game development 🙂
    i do live for info and the hope of beta, release – the wait is killing me

Relax. Going about the place demanding this and that just makes you come across as a spoiled child. Triumph is hard at work on Age of Wonders 3 and in time we will find out everything there is about the game.

Hijallo

Better to be a spoiled child than a White Knight you are, Zad Dam.

Hijallo

On more serious note, it’s a suggestion, not a demand. People, including me, are eager to get more info. That’s why there are so many active thread. Why did Triumph opened those forums, if all we’ve to do is just sit and wait patiently? They could have done with the newsletters and press announcements. However, i suppose you’re pretty old and can’t make it with your own eyes…

It wasn’t a personal attack mate. I just want to be clear that I do not share your demands for more information, that is all.

Tomipapa

Jimmy said he estimate 1 class/month. I would hardly call this as a promise. And they opened this forum for feedback and discussion. You can check how many times the devs posted here, then go and find another game forum where devs(not moderators) have more than 200 post. I also can’t wait for the new info, but i’m sure they have a good reason behind the class reveal delays

Knight9910

Okay, let me first say that I understand the devs don’t have tons of time, although honestly how hard is it to put together a class page really? Still, they’re doing other things, more important things, like working on the game, and the one dev team member whose job this was is apparently sick.

With that in mind, this is not necessarily applicable to the situation at hand, but is something that really needs to be said to all of the apologists on here whining about whether or not the word “promise” was used:

When you say you’re going to do something, you try your absolute hardest to do it. You don’t look for petty excuses to get out of having to keep your word. You don’t argue semantics about what words you did and didn’t use. You definitely don’t blame the people you lied to or call them selfish.

If something comes up and circumstances beyond your control prevent you from keeping your word, then you acknowledge that, apologize, and try to make it up as soon as you can. (The first two the devs have done, we’ll see on the third; as I said, I’m not talking about them here, I’m talking about you.)

That’s not my opinion, that’s the truth. That’s what it means to be a man, and to be responsible for yourself and your surroundings.

NEHZ

Okay, let me first say that I understand the devs don’t have tons of time, although honestly how hard is it to put together a class page really? Still, they’re doing other things, more important things, like working on the game, and the one dev team member whose job this was is apparently sick.

With that in mind, this is not necessarily applicable to the situation at hand, but is something that really needs to be said to all of the apologists on here whining about whether or not the word “promise” was used:

When you say you’re going to do something, you try your absolute hardest to do it. You don’t look for petty excuses to get out of having to keep your word. You don’t argue semantics about what words you did and didn’t use. You definitely don’t blame the people you lied to or call them selfish.

If something comes up and circumstances beyond your control prevent you from keeping your word, then you acknowledge that, apologize, and try to make it up as soon as you can. (The first two the devs have done, we’ll see on the third; as I said, I’m not talking about them here, I’m talking about you.)

That’s not my opinion, that’s the truth. That’s what it means to be a man, and to be responsible for yourself and your surroundings.

So women don’t have to keep their word? Worse yet, if they do they’re suddenly male? 🙁
    On a more serious note, it should be obvious that what they’re trying their hardest to do is to finish their game. They planned to release a page a month, this plan has apperantly been disrupted. That sucks. But it’s not something they promised, they didn’t claim: “there will be one page every month”, they claimed that they planned on releasing more pages, estimated at one each month. Plans can be changed, if you’re not ready to change a plan when needed you will end up with products being released when they’re unfinished. What if one of the reasons they’re not releasing the pages is that because of some great insights they deem the classes still too much in flux? That would actually be a positive reason to delay the releases of those pages as it would mean they can end up even better.

If every statement was interpreted as a promise we’d be neck deep in broken promises and the word would lose all meaning.

Naturally companies are held to a higher standard when it comes to them keeping their word (promised or not) but it should be clear by now that there are no guarantees and demands for updates are typically fueled by mere impatience. According to earlier estimates the game was supposed to be released by now which is, in terms of scale, hardly comparable to a missed imaginary deadline on when a new page class was supposed to be up but such is life.

Devs have their work schedules and milestones which generally take precedence over everything else precisely because that is the responsible thing to do.

I don’t see the wisdom in asking devs to dedicate game dev time to make up for a missed promise (?) due to someone being ill.

And it’s not like devs are inactive on this forum. They are replying to threads almost daily.

Callynn

I’d rather have the game come out in a better state than seeing releases for classes monthly. This costs dev time they can not spend into the game then…

I suppose they could just hire someone to make a post and vid on each class – but that costs money too 🙂

Tomipapa

What are you talking about? Was this some kind of moral lesson? 😛 So i and the others who were on the calmer side should join with the op and saying these in choir: yes they lied to us, yes they didn’t keep their promises, making a class page is not much work anyway, give us more ect? Yes, that will speed things up 🙂

What are you talking about? Was this some kind of moral lesson? So i and the others who were on the calmer side should join with the op and saying these in choir: yes they lied to us, yes they didn’t keep their promises, making a class page is not much work anyway, give us more ect? Yes, that will speed things up

I agree; Triumph has given us a lot of information and has been very responsive to concerns from the Forum. People shouldn’t trigger the “internet death spiral of negativity” because a few things have fallen a little behind schedule. This isn’t the Rome II Total War debut or Obamacare; keep it in perspective.

Knight9910

This is a fact: the devs DIDN’T keep their word. They said they were going to do something and then they didn’t. If you try to deny that then you’re deluding yourself.

And let’s be totally honest here, how long would it really take to make a good class page? And how many people would it take? It might take one person a few hours, or a day at most. There is no way that would significantly affect the game’s development in any real way.

But more importantly, what you’re failing to see is the spirit of the matter. You’re all wrapped up in semantics and you’re failing to see what this is really all about: responsibility.

Think about it like this: one of my friends on XBox Live had a messed up headset that buzzed loudly whenever he was in a party. He told us that come his next paycheck he would buy a new headset. He did exactly as he said, but it turned out that the headset wasn’t actually the problem. The problem was that his controller was broken; it was pulling in too much electricity from his charge cable which caused electronic feedback on his microphone every time he plugged it in.

But since he’d tried and failed he decided that he was done – he figured he’d technically kept his word, as all he had actually said was that he would get a new headset, not that he would actually fix the problem.

That problem went on for six months. Every time he got a paycheck he’d spend it on something else. Sometimes it was a good reason (he had to fix his car / he had to buy his mother a birthday present), but most of the times it was just whatever pathetic excuse he could come up with (he didn’t know if it was the controller or the headset and he didn’t want to buy both, so he bought neither / he bought a PS3 instead / he bought a new game / etc)

He was doing the same thing you are. He kept saying how he always had an excuse to not fix his problem, technically he had done what he told us he’d do, he never actually used the word “promise”, so on and so forth.

But I think we can all agree that he was still being an asshole – despite all of the arguments he made the fact remained that he refused to fix his problem, and instead chose to force his friends to put up with it for a half a year.

He never understood why we kept yelling at him to fix his problem. To this day he believes that he was the real victim, that we were all assholes who forced him to be accountable for his actions against his will. He believed that morality is about written agreements and the letter of the law, and that as long as he could find a good enough excuse to weasel out of something then he’s not really being irresponsible. But that’s not how it works.

Look, no one here is screaming or cursing the developers. No one is demanding that they put up a new class page right now or else. We all understand that things may have come up and it may take time and that in the grand scheme of things a class page isn’t that big a deal anyway, but we do ask that they try to make this right somehow. They told us one a month, and now we’re going on three months and still nothing.

In fact, the entire purpose of this thread is compromise! The OP is saying that if they can’t go the whole way and give us a full class page, then he would be okay if they at least met us halfway and gave us something still nice but a little smaller. So yeah, there’s no reason to start white knighting.

jefkos

well this thread went from bad to very ugly in a hurry.

Unnamable

@Knight9910

First of all, such a ridiculous example that does not compare at all with the situation and only proves how much of a whiney entitled brat you are. I pity the friends who have to put up with that.

Secondly, it really seems to not come across, that nothing has been promised (besides releasing an awesome game) in term of informations. They said they would TRY to update once a month, if not, oh well. Thats life. Get used to it. clearly you are not used to have people not bending over to your every whims. They have more important stuff to deal with, especially if they are under-manned, and the elease date approaching. I hope Jimmy is getting better by the way! Personally, I’d rather play the classes than read about em. I wouldn’t even be mad if there was nothing revealed until release, so many surprises to look up for!

So yeah, how about we let the guys do what they have to do. If/when they get time to do devs journals, great! In the meantime, show some patience and respect and put down the “Waaa, but daddy pwomised” card for a bit.

oasis

So wait… Triumph Studios, who is currently working on the game that is going to shape their entire future, is like dude with a broke X-Box controller who is saving up for a PS3? Alright… I read ya.

I’m new to this community, so reading the backlog of Dev Diaries has satiated my info on the game for now. I think threads like this are probably common during the calm before the storm of release.

P.S. I hope you don’t take any offense Knight, I’m only messin 🙂

But yes, it’s the plan to release more info about individual classes now that we’re moving closer to release. About one class per month I estimate.

At the same time we’ll also add new units and skills to existing pages, as soon as we’re confident enough they will appear in the final game. But even then, things can change when needed.

Link: https://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/expanding-the-website-leader-class-pages/page/2/#post-12047

No guarantees made. No word given, no word broken.

Also,

We’re sorry. We’re just *really* busy here now.
    Jimmy is ill, which doesn’t help either.
    Know please for a fact we’re not forgetting you all and the forum and the site!

Link: https://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/german-press-tour-finished-new-footage-and-screenshots/page/6/#post-13572

Put 2 and 2 together, restrain impatient impulses, add some common sense, sprinkle with basic human decency and voila! Instant rational conclusion and understanding.

Honestly … i would rather a promise not kept than nothing at all …

So what if didnt give you more. Be lucky you got anything.

These evil rantings only pushes the devs away, not “oh yes, lets reward these horrible people”

Understand they busy as heck, just assume any time not spent here is spent improving the game. Whether its non on actual work or not, these are people and they do need R&R just like the rest of us.

If it makes them happier to spend more time on personal life and less on the forum in their spare time then im fine with it. It will only improve their output.

jimmy

We’ve had some delay because of timing issues, but most of the work on the class pages has been done now in the backend.

We’ll continue soon. 😉

Tomipapa

Hoho thanks Jimmy!

New class pages soon, Desolation of Smaug next week, oh wonderful days are coming 😀

RedDino

OMG! Why are some people so aggressive? I can hardly sleep by waiting for release 😉 , I´m checking the news every day, if there´s something new, great! I swallow it in the whole, but if not? Well should be a reason for it, I´m sure the devs want to keep the fire burning 🙂
    Triumph, just keep going! If information is ready, give it to the communitiy, it helps waiting, because progress is comprehensible. I´m curious, but take your time and stretch the information till release, as said, helps waiting ;-).
    If someone already worked on a big project, he will know that not everything works out as it was planned, so just keep calm and look forward to a great game that will grant us a longtime gamepleasure!

Knight9910

It was worth trying to explain, but as I suspected none of you understand, and you likely never will. So, let me stop holding back and just tell you the plain truth: your argument is everything that’s wrong with this world.

It’s not always as simple as a video game web page, or a guy forcing his friends to listen to an ear-splittingly loud mic buzz for 6 months because he only thinks of himself. Sometimes it’s a corrupt police force that forgets their promise to protect their citizens, or a politician who forgets his campaign promises and decides to rule for himself instead of his people.

But every time it happens people like you say the same thing. “It’s how the world works.” “Let it go.” “No one owes you anything.”

Someone decides to stand up for what’s right and you call it “spoiled” and “entitled.” Someone actually tries to compromise and meet in the middle and you call it “evil.”

You want to know why this world is such a miserable hellhole? Because people like you fight to keep it that way.

Well, if Triumph Studios are fighting to keep this world miserable maybe it’s time you changed your signature Knight. After all they are the corrupt policemen who broke their word, right? You wouldn’t want to be a hypocrite and not stand by your principles. Please don’t buy the game either, don’t give money to the people who LIED to you.

You’re completely right, one small compromise leads to greater evil. It’s a butterfly effect. On one side of the world a bunch of devs get sick and swamped with work and don’t update their website according to a deadline you imagined, on the other a violent group of rebel militants make a bonfire out of babies.

There is a situation going on right now in my town square. I thought it was your (usual) drunken fights etc, but it turns out someone is holding a kitten hostage until Triumph updates its webpage….

Holy f*cking sh*t balls wank with a cherry on top, Knight9910 was correct!

It’s the end of the world…or at least a kitten’s life.

Jimmy, I hope you’re happy, I hope you can sleep at night.

It’s official, Triumph hate cats. It also explains why Tigrans aren’t in.

Update, this just in:

The suspected hostage taker has released the kitten, and taken a puppy hostage.

Oh the horror….

I’m moving countries, to somewhere where everything runs perfectly and nothing ever goes wrong.

******************************************************************************

Alright pisstaking over. Things have gotten out of hand, and yes, I contributed with the above.

So, apologies, let’s move on, and let’s argue about something a bit more interesting….

like……
    fliers not flying
    6 stacks
    6 races

Take your pick

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.