Update 1.704 Patch Notes

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Update v1.5 – Open Beta Update 1.704 Patch Notes

This topic contains 27 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Fawkes 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Tombles
    Keymaster

Welcome to the Open Beta of version 1.704!

This is a short beta for a patch to fix some crashes and issues with Mod Tools that we found since the last beta. We don’t intend to do any balance thing here (which I’m sure will come as a relief) and we’re not going to be looking into any minor bugs, since we don’t want to risk introducing more issues into the system (one of the crashes we’re fixing now was actually caused by me fixing a bug 🙁 ).

How to switch to the Continued Open Beta?

• Right Click ‘Age of Wonders 3’ in your Steam Library and select ‘Properties’ from the menu that appears.
    • Select the ‘BETAS’ tab in the ‘Properties’ window.
    • Set the combobox to ‘open_beta’.
    • Close the ‘Properties’ window.
    • Start the game to force an update.

Or watch the start of the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdej8kmdB3Q

Beware!
    It’s a beta, so things might crash or malfunction. This can cause you to lose progress or wreck save games, so only switch to the beta if you are willing to take that risk ; )>

Also note that if you are playing online multiplayer or PBEM matches everyone in the match needs to move into the beta branch if you do. I suggest switching back – opting out of beta – when playing PBEM games, unless everyone agrees on moving into the beta.

Patch Notes

• Fixed a graphics issue with the Archon Caster unit by removing one of the two heads.
    • AIs forming an alliance against a player can no longer go from alliance to war with that player in a single turn.
    • Fixed a crash caused by having a city that had no size set in the level editor
    • Fixed an issue where Nymphs would still be given as rewards from Springs Of Life
    • Fixed an issue where modding in new terrain would cause a crash in the RMG
    • Fixed an issue in the modding tools when editing a newly added resoucre that was in the same slot as a new resource from a linked mod or patch
    • The package manager will no longer include .~acp files in archives when exporting or uploading to steam
    • The warlord hero no longer gets a second frost protection upgrade at level 7

Gloweye

The package manager will no longer include .~acp files in archives when exporting or uploading to steam

Thanks. There was no way to stop this.

Is there any possibility that we’re getting access to strategic targetters from unit abilities?

best would be with strategic range of course, but just access to “own hex” combined with AoE would be fantastic(and open so many options..)

Tombles
    Keymaster

Thanks. There was no way to stop this.

If you could double check it, that would be great! I chucked it in at the last minute after I noticed people’s mods were suddenly doule in size due to having 2 acp files eahc.

Is there any possibility that we’re getting access to strategic targetters from unit abilities?

Not really, no. I’d have to code in a whole framework to deal with it, with new types of resources and everything. Right now, such abilities don’t really exist within the system.

Zaskow

Are any balance tweaks possible or just small fixes?

Since you have decided to do another patch, would it be possible to address the following issue?

http://aow.triumph.net/forums/topic/swallow-whole-and-leaders/

Where you can’t get leaders back after swallow whole (they get sent to void immediately)

Tombles
    Keymaster

The main priority now is to make sure the current patch is stable so we can get it out to GoG players, so unless something is broken (that is actually crashes the game) we’re probbably not going to change it.

I worry that if I were to go and try and change how swallow whole works then I might accidentally add more problems which would require later patches to fix. With balance changes, I worry that I’d just end up with lots of arguments as we tried to figure out what needed to be changed and why.

Stormwind

I dont see that one way of having how swallow whole works is any better or worse than the other…its just different. As a programmer myself I can understand not wanting to meddle with something like that at this late date…I can already see the bug of “My leader was swallowed, then another creature, so I couldnt get leader back and lost the game on the spot!”

Tombles
    Keymaster

Thematically it’s an odd one. The game lore states that the leader doesn’t die, s/he escapes at the last moment to the void, like an ejector seat. You can imagine leader hitting the escpae button the moment it becomes clear they’re stuck in a monster’s stomach.

And yeah, their are tons of pitfalls. Messed up win conditions like you say, also stuff like “My leader is not dead, only swallowed whole, can they still cast spells in combat???”

Jolly Joker

The important question with Swallow Whole, accepting that te leader “ejects” into the void is, whether in case the Glutton swallows another unit after the Leader (vanishing into the void), the second unit reappears upon killing the Glutton, which should be the case (only one unit remain in/under the Glutton), but I don’t know whether that’s true.

Tibbles

@ Jolly Joker, yes, the second unit reappears after your Leader gets eaten

Jolly Joker

What if the Leader was Swallowed as SECOND unit: does the unit swallowed first reappear after killing or is it dead (should reappear)?

Bob5

Tombles, if you have the time, could you take a look at this thread? I’m getting error messages and I’m not sure if they’re dangerous or not.

gelat

Apparently Warlord gets frost protection at level 5 and level 7? There’s a MOD on steam to fix it, so maybe this beta can straighten that out?

quo

This is unrelated since it sounds like there are no current changes to Swallow Whole, but I actually tried to build a spell that gave units Swallow Whole and I noticed for some reason it crashes the game a lot when it triggers, but it doesn’t always happen. The first time it crashed when the unit with Swallow Whole used Defensive Strike, the unit he hit counter attacked, and Swallow Whole triggered and ate the guy. The second time was just random, unit with SW on it Guarding, another unit approached and hit him and got eaten, game crash.

I figured it was just some weirdness with how Swallow Whole when its used as a tactical combat property and just meant SW should be avoided for most units. Or maybe I just rigged it wrong. Wasn’t going to mention it but since it came up in this thread, might as well share the FYI.

If you’re doing at least one more patch can you PLEASE fix the problem with there being heroes in the game that are duplicates of leaders. It’s very immersion breaking when you have a leader who has a hero who is identical to them. Henna the Elder is one of them.

Tombles
    Keymaster

If you’re doing at least one more patch can you PLEASE fix the problem with there being heroes in the game that are duplicates of leaders. It’s very immersion breaking when you have a leader who has a hero who is identical to them. Henna the Elder is one of them.

The problem with doing this is that it can cause crashes in games where those heroes are present, so it will break people’s save games. That’s why we never changed it in the past.

Apparently Warlord gets frost protection at level 5 and level 7? There’s a MOD on steam to fix it, so maybe this beta can straighten that out?

I’ll have a look, if I can fix it without breaking existing save games, I’ll do it.

The problem with doing this is that it can cause crashes in games where those heroes are present, so it will break people’s save games. That’s why we never changed it in the past.

I’ve never understood the thinking behind this. Leave a game broken for all time because some people in the present might have savegames adversely affected by it? If it isn’t fixed now it never will be. Pleeeeeeease Tombles! I’ll give you my last pouch of tobacco or firstborn child if you fix it.

EDIT: Just noticed that this is the reason for another issue not being fixed. How many problems aren’t being fixed because of current savegames? In a month or two few people will care about any current savegames, but a whole load will care what remains unfixed in the game as a whole. If you’re still in doubt maybe you could ask the community to vote on it: “would you like us to fix the game at the cost of your current savegames or not?” I honestly can’t imagine many people voting based on a current savegame.

Azazir

@tombles
    1)Bugreport here.
    1.703 version, necromancer draconian leader (14 lvl, was killed two times in the battle cuz of undying trait) lost his +10 CP (draconian eco 3 RG) after death. He just ressurected in capital without this champion perc and i lost 10 cp due pure bug.
    Then i tried to loose and ressurect heroes and output was the same….necromancer (mb others classes are affected too) ressurected heroes-leaders lose +10 CP racialgov upgrade.

Stormwind

I’ve never understood the thinking behind this. Leave a game broken for all time because some people in the present might have savegames adversely affected by it? If it isn’t fixed now it never will be. Pleeeeeeease Tombles! I’ll give you my last pouch of tobacco or firstborn child if you fix it.

EDIT: Just noticed that this is the reason for another issue not being fixed. How many problems aren’t being fixed because of current savegames? In a month or two few people will care about any current savegames, but a whole load will care what remains unfixed in the game as a whole. If you’re still in doubt maybe you could ask the community to vote on it: “would you like us to fix the game at the cost of your current savegames or not?” I honestly can’t imagine many people voting based on a current savegame.

I second this…if there is an easy to fix issue, just fix it, saved games be damned!

Tombles
    Keymaster

@tombles
    1)Bugreport here.
    1.703 version, necromancer draconian leader (14 lvl, was killed two times in the battle cuz of undying trait) lost his +10 CP (draconian eco 3 RG) after death. He just ressurected in capital without this champion perc and i lost 10 cp due pure bug.
    Then i tried to loose and ressurect heroes and output was the same….necromancer (mb others classes are affected too) ressurected heroes-leaders lose +10 CP racialgov upgrade.

Hi Azzazzir,

This works ok for me, I just tried and the bug didn’t happen. What I did:

1) Start a game, choose draconian necromancer player.
    2) Recruit a draconian hero
    3) Use cheats to unlock all my research. I now have 90 casting points and the Undying Army spell
    4) Use cheats to unlock draconian RG3 (select the draconian city and use the cheat “GOUDENEEUWEN”)
    5) My leader now has 100 casting points, my hero now has 25 max casting points
    6) I attack some indies and cast Undying army
    7) I let my hero die twice and then win the fight
    8) I cast “Resurrect Hero” and my hero comes back. He still has 25 casting points.

If I let my hero cast undying army and get my leader killed twice, then I still have 100 casting points when he comes back as well.

Do you have a save game I can see where a hero or leader has lost their extra casting points?

esvath

+1.

Just put a big warning “This patch breaks old save game” and be done with it?

Tombles
    Keymaster

Just a small update:

• The warlord hero no longer gets a second frost protection upgrade at level 7

+1.

Just put a big warning “This patch breaks old save game” and be done with it?

]

I just decided to mod this myself – preventing those leaders from spawning as heroes, and to test if it would actually crash an old game – I loaded up a game where I had Odren stablis as a Hero. (although, as this might make a difference, he was acquired via surrender, he had been an opposing leader)

I got an assertion error message relating to the change, but the game did actually continue, and I was even still able to use Odren in battle.

‘Cannot register this hero, might be a duplicate or might not exist’ according to the debug log.

Great work, Psychotic. Hopefully that will encourage them to fix it.

I noticed tonight that the bug that causes two sounds to be played when certain spells are cast is present too. I reported this a few months ago and it got labelled as fixed. Some of the guys at Triumph seemed to have had it nailed down to particular circumstances. The details are here: http://aow.triumph.net/forums/topic/two-sounds-play-with-combat-spells/

Did some more testing on the sound issue tonight and it definitely only occurs when you have your leader in battle. Easiest way to replicate it is just to start off as a theocrat, have him go into battle, and then make him cast something like Holy Cure or Bless on someone. You’ll hear the spell sound followed by what sounds like a hit sound effect. This little bug was introduced a very long time ago, possibly with the second or third patch.

Zrevnur

Do you plan to leave this bug (and others whose “easy” fixes break save games) in the game up to including the final version?

Fawkes

Didn’t play the game for a while, and here’s 2 bugs I discovered in my current game (SP random map, Tigran Sorcerer):

1. It seems the game doesn’t apply Arcane Study +5 knowledge bonus. Turn is 19, I’ve got 215 knowledge (including +10 from Arcane Study, and I chose to research Summon Fantastic Creature (research cost 200 knowledge). Next turn I lost some (due to happiness change) and dropped to 206 total knowledge. But for some reason spell wasn’t researched! Research cost left was 4, as if my total knowledge was 196, not 206.

I searched the forum and I found the bug was qualified as “a minor issue”. It is NOT a minor issue, it’s *extremely* annoying!

2. Another “minor issue” I suppose… When you dominate a creature, there’s no status message about it anymore. Converted, charmed, seduced, befriended animal – all are dispayed correctly, but “dominated” is not. Which is a problem because only dominate actually expires during the battle! I use it all the time – an item with dominate is always the first item I produce in all my games – so it’s also a pretty annoying bug.

Fawkes

1. It seems the game doesn’t apply Arcane Study +5 knowledge bonus.

Something strange is happening here… Next turn I had 206 total knowledge and I sucessfully researched a spell that required 200 knowledge. I really don’t know what triggered that bug on a previous turn, but it happened as I reported it.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.