Update v1.51 Patch Notes – UPDATED 24/4/2015

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Update v1.5 – Open Beta Update v1.51 Patch Notes – UPDATED 24/4/2015

This topic contains 244 replies, has 51 voices, and was last updated by  Narvek 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 245 total)
  • Author

Tombles
    Keymaster

Now that Bob5 said they are listed under cities, I found the issue: You do not get the casting points if you build a fort to claim the structures. Do you need a save for that?

Doh 🙁 I’ll make a note of it, I don’t think I’ll be able to fix it for this patch. It’s a lot of work to change it.

Astarael

I really love how much insight you devs give us into the patches and why things have or have not been changed. It’s a lot easier to wait for a fix or addition when you know the reasons and work behind it. Keep up the good work guys!

Tombles
    Keymaster

IMPORTANT WARNING!

If you use the open beta and play PBEM or multiplayer, ALL PLAYERS IN THE GAME MUST ALSO USE THE OPEN BETA! If you use the open beta in a PBEM game, and the next player doesn’t have it, they will not be able to play! If they’re a steam player this isn’t that big a deal, if they’re a GoG player, then they’re out of the game until we release the patch in the next week or so!

Weltenreiter

Cause Fear is now on a 2 turn cooldown (was once per battle)

Nice, might actually take it on Rogue now. Still has the same problems as other disables and more (only situation where you’d need it are ones where you can’t afford it to fail, and this doesn’t even suck move points to compensate for fail), but now at least shares their cooldownness. 1PB was ridiculous.

Tiger’s Eye Ring now grants Invigorate and Mark Blood Sacrifice, instead of Slip Away.

Does this Invigorate also only affect Tigrans? That’d be a pretty, err, specific item.

Deathbringers are now Armored, their defense remains unchanged

Dammit, now I need a Crystal Tree + Dungeon combo settled and established before building them. (Yes, I have issues. Can we get a creature upgrade function yet so I can have some fun with early units despite my damage? :P)

Spiritual Freedom is now tier 2, 140 knowledge same as the equivalent Grey Guard and Shadowbord spells (was tier 4, 400 knowledge)

Quite needed to get that up before starting to mass produce, excellent.

Weltenreiter

Too late to edit:

Frostling White Witch now has Inflict Frostbite on Silver Medal and Freezing Touch instead of Infict Freezing on Gold Medal.

Grr, I was just going to do a Frostling Sorc run of support massing double disabling goodness too. >.>
    Probably a change for the better though, otherwise it’d be pre-nerf doublestun Storm Sisters all over again.

Tombles
    Keymaster

Probably a change for the better though, otherwise it’d be pre-nerf doublestun Storm Sisters all over again.

It was that, only worse, inflict freeze + stun + chill is a far stronger combo than double inflict stun!

Weltenreiter

Queens can keep that though, right, being T3 and melee and less trivially/early spammable?

terrahero

Scoundrels are to powerful against Machine-type units due to Sabotage. Before 1.5 patch a Scoundrel could reliably beat a Golem, and that was when the Golem was still a tier3.

Zaskow

Scoundrels are to powerful against Machine-type units due to Sabotage. Before 1.5 patch a Scoundrel could reliably beat a Golem, and that was when the Golem was still a tier3.

Rogue hasn’t any hard hitting vs. machines units, except scoundrels or heroes. Don’t forget machines are also immune to backstab.

Tombles
    Keymaster

23rd April 2015, version 1.552

• Regenerate is now listed as “Regenerate” in tooltips, instead of +1000 hp regeneration.
    • Chthonic Guardians can now be ghouled
    • Mermaid now costs 70 gold (was 80). Mermaids can now evolve into Sirens.
    • Human Longswordman now has attack 12 (was 11), and Guard Breaker on Gold medal (was Inflict Bleeding Wounds)
    • Big Beetle now has demolisher x2 for a double bonus.
    • Human Military 3 now correctly affects all Cavalry type units (including human heroes and manticore riders).
    • Human Military 2 now only affects Human Cavalry and gives a visible ability in the unit panel (before it was affecting Knights as well)
    • The Arcane Arrows ability now uses the correct fire bow animation, instead of the fault throw something animation.
    • Reduced the strength of the indy raider stacks that attack AI cities when they’re building beacons.
    • Path Of Life will now function correctly
    • Increased space between the name of the ability and it’s strength in the Tome Of Wonders for Inflict abilities
    • The strengths for Inflict XXX abilities is now listed in the Hero Upgrades screen as well as the Unit Panel and Tome Of Wonders
    • Mind Controlling a unit who’s using Absorb Pain (or Pledge Of Protection) will now cancel the Absorb Pain relationship.
    • Human Economic 4 now properly gives 15 production, like the description says (it was giving 10)
    • Loading a save where a unit is stood on a reflecting pool will no longer glitch
    • Fixed an issue that prevented leaders getting skills from Lost Libraries while their hero was in the void
    • Folk Hero now properly gives a discount to city diplomacy costs

Tombles
    Keymaster

Please let us know what you think of the changes, another build will be coming tomorrow!

We’re looking into a couple of new Race/Class variants for tomorrow as well, I tried to add them today, but I ran out of time 🙁

esvath

@tombles,

If you want to add information on the Tome (maybe for the next patch if you can’t put it in this one), please check my suggestions in this thread: http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/improving-tome-of-wonder/

Jolly Joker

Changes look good.

Defensive Strike on Sun Guard is insane! You can break guard and end in guard mode, that’s just incredibly good. Sun Guard definitely doesn’t need anything. It’s a very good unit, but not overpowered.

llfoso

I think we’re pretty unanimous that defensive strike on sun guard is a bad thing.

Guard breaker is an incredibly powerful ability to be putting on a T1 unit. As it was before sun guards had to leave themselves exposed in order to use it, which balanced the ability nicely.

I have to say I also don’t like the change to sun spear. It was fine before. An attack that uses no action points is dangerous.

But very thankful to the changes to swordsmen, longswordsmen, and beetle rider.

Zaskow

I think we’re pretty unanimous that defensive strike on sun guard is a bad thing.

I’m against defensive strike on sun guard only because defensive strike was only dwarven racial skill.

Tombles
    Keymaster

Defensive Strike on Sun Guard is insane! You can break guard and end in guard mode, that’s just incredibly good. Sun Guard definitely doesn’t need anything. It’s a very good unit, but not overpowered.

You have an odd definition of unanimous!

If you want to add information on the Tome (maybe for the next patch if you can’t put it in this one), please check my suggestions in this thread: http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/improving-tome-of-wonder/

It’s too late for this patch, but maybe we can add stuff for the next patch!

Mythabril

Maybe give the Sun Guard Dazing Strike, once per combat, that will Inflict Daze (1 turn), so at least the attacked enemy can’t hit back in its next turn. Then several Sun Guards could strategically daze enemies to cover their backs.

llfoso

You have an odd definition of unanimous!

I took him to mean the change was unnecessary, and that it was good and didn’t need anything as it was before.

terrahero

I dont fully understand the reasoning to give Big Beetle double-demolisher. Walls in general are increasingly diminished. Besides a lot of units that simply bypass the wall or suffer no penalty from climbing a wall, more units tear it down (better than before) as well.
    Also with double-demolisher a Big Beetle is now better against Machine’s than anything else. +8 from Demolisher more than compensates for the 6 blight damage that gets resisted.

And i agree with Jolly Joker. I think Sun Guard changes besides giving them Guard Breaker seemed quite right. That Sun Shield is incredibly powerful at such a low tier, and they would still fill their intented purpose against Cavalry units. And thanks to their natively high defense for a tier1 they can still go toe-to-toe with other units.

For a more long-term suggestion (on the subject of balance i suppose), look into the big discrepancies between units in terms of Rank-up rewards.
    F.e. Human Cavalry only gets Bleeding Wounds on Gold (but at Gold it evolves) and nothing at veteran. Compare that to a Draconian Raptorrider who gets +20% fire protection and Scorching Heat at veteran, and 2 more traits (fire prot + bleeding wounds) at gold.
    Boar Rider also gets nothing at veteran, but a Black Knight gets Armor Piercing on veteran.

Machine units in general rarely get something on Veteran, i think the Golem is the only one. Shrine of Smiting and Juggernaut get nothing on veteran, and the Juggernaut doesnt even get anything really useful at elite. Free Movement is almost always pointless as it is a unit that needs support, and the support does not have free movement.

White Witch nerf makes me sad. It’s not a very damaging unit and is mostly strong in it’s buff and control. Is this a descision based just on the synergy with Sorcerer’s Inflict Stun empire upgrade? If there is another solution possible to prevent these from stacking that would imo be better.

Necromancer also has a lot of trouble against a Rogue late-game, once the Shadow Stalkers start comming out there is very little a Necro has that can touch them. As the Shadow Stalker mitigated the three main damage channels (phys/blight/frost) and is immune to almost every debuff in the book. Especially anything the Necromancer has. Perhaps remove Elementals immunity to Despair.
    The Dread Reaper in particular get’s shut down incredibly hard, hitting a Shadow Stalker for less than 3dmg.
    Same thing against Frostling Undead. The Dread Reaper is pretty much useless as his damage is worst than than tier1 irregulars and all his tools do not work, no point summoning it over a Banshee.

And as mentioned earlier, Scoundrel to good. Especially against Machine-types, really dont think this unit should have Sabotage at all. The Fast Healing, Sprint, crippling wounds, wall climbing, higher base damage and synergy with empire upgrades to become (lesser) shadow stalkers are more than enough for a unit that costs just 45g.

Zaskow

The Dread Reaper in particular get’s shut down incredibly hard, hitting a Shadow Stalker for less than 3dmg.

Reaper needs to replace one damage channel to another. From blight to spirit for example.

And as mentioned earlier, Scoundrel to good. Especially against Machine-types, really dont think this unit should have Sabotage at all. The Fast Healing, Sprint, crippling wounds, wall climbing, higher base damage and synergy with empire upgrades to become (lesser) shadow stalkers are more than enough for a unit that costs just 45g.

Bad suggestion.
    Tell me, plz, what can Rogue do against machines before stalkers come? I suppose, nothing. Even Stalkers feel very bad against machine mass producing in late game.

llfoso

I dont fully understand the reasoning to give Big Beetle double-demolisher. Walls in general are increasingly diminished. Besides a lot of units that simply bypass the wall or suffer no penalty from climbing a wall, more units tear it down (better than before) as well.<br>
    Also with double-demolisher a Big Beetle is now better against Machine’s than anything else. +8 from Demolisher more than compensates for the 6 blight damage that gets resisted.

As it was before the demolisher was trying to make up for the fact that that 6 blight damage was being ignored by machines and walls. Double demolisher is equivalent to giving any other T3 regular demolisher. They still do only 19 damage per hit to walls and machines, which is one more than Ogres and one less than Warbreeds.

I agree about walls becoming less and less of a barrier, but I blame improved wall climbing for that. I think in this case it’s a good change.

Tombles
    Keymaster

Maybe Stalker shouldn’t even be an elemental? Even if we fix the reaper, I’m not sure that having the T4 being the only counter necro has for the SS is that great an idea. Not being an elemental would open it up to things like despair, berserk and panick attack.

Other solutions are welcome! This isn’t the first time I’ve had complaints that necro can’t do anything vs shadow stalker.

Tombles
    Keymaster

Removing despair immunity from elemntals could be considered as welll

terrahero

Bad suggestion.
    Tell me, plz, what can Rogue do against machines before stalkers come? I suppose, nothing. Even Stalkers feel very bad against machine mass producing in late game.

What cant they do? Rogue’s don’t do that much blight damage. Assassin is the only Rogue unit that inherently has blight damage.
    Besides that Rogue has great combat spells against machine’s, which are almost all ranged with no retaliation/attacks of oppertunity and need to keep out of melee. Blind, Smoke Screen, Quick Dash. Rogue is not lacking against Machine’s.

As i said, Scoundrels were reliably destroying Golems when Golems were still tier3. That is a lot of damage from such a cheap unit, if (and i do mean IF) there is a rogue unit that needs to be beter designed to attack machine’s it shouldnt be this powerful and not on the first produceable unit in the research line.

Maybe Stalker shouldn’t even be an elemental? Even if we fix the reaper, I’m not sure that having the T4 being the only counter necro has for the SS is that great an idea. Not being an elemental would open it up to things like despair, berserk and panick attack.

Other solutions are welcome! This isn’t the first time I’ve had complaints that necro can’t do anything vs shadow stalker.

Wow tombles, im impressed with your dedication to the job. Or are you posting here under duress? Blink twice for yes.

Maybe that is an idea as well. In general elementals are a bit of a thing since they are immune to so many debuffs while debuffing has become quite a big thing and they just ignore it completely.

Removing Despair was a quick idea i had, but i forgot to acount that the Reanimator would still not be able to touch it so stacking Despair would still be very difficult.

CyperPhiber

any plans about dwarf n goblin t2 eco? imho goblin is to weak on most maps. played now alot of games with default settings (incl. UG), it was never worth it. with dwarf t2 i would suggest a slight change too since mines are so common in comparison to farms maybe +5 would be worth it.
    but for the goblin trait i doubt the gold input will ever matter, even if u settle quickly next to every farm a city with merchandise. in most games i can only find 2 farms around turn 15-20. the military pick is ofc such a great choice which makes the farm gold bonus even weaker.

llfoso

Same goes for Halfling Champion. It’s a good bonus but clovers aren’t that common, and it’s competing with double luck on Eagle Riders.

ArcaneSeraph

For a more long-term suggestion (on the subject of balance i suppose), look into the big discrepancies between units in terms of Rank-up rewards.

Agreed, though not urgent.

White Witch nerf makes me sad. It’s not a very damaging unit and is mostly strong in it’s buff and control. Is this a descision based just on the synergy with Sorcerer’s Inflict Stun empire upgrade? If there is another solution possible to prevent these from stacking that would imo be better

Agree with this too. With stun + freezing they are strong but it seems like a shame to balance the unit for one particular class alone.

Prodigal Sun

The balance to White Witches wasn’t solely based on synergy towards one class.

Hatmage

I’m just here to say thanks for the longsword buff, keep up the good work!

Sharpnessism

I think changing the Sun Guard in another way would be better than giving them defensive strike (which I think should stay with the Dwarves). E.g. if the easiest way to balance the Longsword would be to give it Warcry or Lucky, wouldn’t you try to avoid giving it racial abilities from other races & search for another solution?

If this is an autocombat problem, I think it would be better to just hold off on changing them this drastically and try to fix their AI in the next patch.

In any case, thanks for the quick updates & good job.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 245 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.