Update v1.602+ Patch Notes – Updated 15/9/2015

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Update v1.5 – Open Beta Update v1.602+ Patch Notes – Updated 15/9/2015

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 169 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  Tombles 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 170 total)
  • Author

esvath

Is the beta over now? Has the patch gone live?

No, it is not over, although there hasn’t been any updates of late.
    Also, the patch has not been officially released yet.

Hi @sikbok.

Any ETA on the next patch? Because I think that “Fixed a bug that prevented roaming independent monsters from attacking undefended cities” is essential to the game.

SikBok
    Keymaster

Any ETA on the next patch? Because I think that “Fixed a bug that prevented roaming independent monsters from attacking undefended cities” is essential to the game.

Not yet, the date for official release it still to be determined.

Tombles
    Keymaster

Another small stability update:

Latest Changes

• Fixed an issue where a player would lose the game when their throne city was a Reef Dwelling far from land, and their leader returned from the void.
    • Added failsafe code that detects a rare issue when a player loses both their leader and throne city without losing the game.
    • Added PBEM Version Upgrade confirmation dialog. This is intended warn people of possible version conflicts in PBEM. E.g. if some people in a PBEM session forgot to switch out of a beta build before playing.
    • Fixed an issue where an incorrect error message would be displayed for the spell currently being cast in the spell book.
    • Fixed a translation issue that caused some Polish text to be displayed in the French version and vice versa.

SpiritSeeker

Added PBEM Version Upgrade confirmation dialog. This is intended warn people of possible version conflicts in PBEM. E.g. if some people in a PBEM session forgot to switch out of a beta build before playing.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou! 🙂

Tombles
    Keymaster

Another update, some bug fixes and some balance changes:

Latest Changes

• Fixed a bug where clicking ‘Yes’ on the duplicate color dialog during leader customization could cause the starting layer to be different from what the player had selected.
    • Burial Ground now costs 100 gold (was 100 gold, 50 mana)
    • Basilica now costs 100 gold, 50 mana (was 200 gold, 50 mana)
    • Dwarf Economic 1 now gives cities with Stone Walls +10 production for Necromancer Players
    • Corpus Furia now does 15 blight damage (was 10 physical)
    • Domain of XXX spells will no longer appear in the spell book for Necromancers
    • Essence Harvest no longer gives casting points for killing Ghouls
    • Necromancer players will now almost always be offered a necromancer hero in the first round.
    • Whispers Of The Dead now costs 15 mana per turn (was 10) and gives a small amount of knowledge for each unit the player kills in combat and each unit that dies in battles that the spell detects
    • Phantasm Warriors now have resistance 8 (was 9)
    • Fixed an issue where units with multiple copies of the same ability would sometimes be able to bypass the ability’s cooldown.
    • Fixed high elf race governance upgrades having the wrong names
    • When a debuff stacks on a target, the timers on other copies of the debuff will now be reset so all copies share the same timer.
    • Necromancer players can no longer select the Creation specializations (almost none of the skills in the sphere were of any use to them)

Wallthing

Can’t express how excited I am by the Necromancer changes. Well, not without sounding like even more of an idiot than I usually do. Time to start a new game!

Zaskow

Burial Ground now costs 100 gold (was 100 gold, 50 mana)
    Basilica now costs 100 gold, 50 mana (was 200 gold, 50 mana)

Maybe, it would be better to add some small bonuses to these buildings as other classes have?

Domain of XXX spells will no longer appear in the spell book for Necromancers

Bad change. Now it’s less sense to choose elemental specs for Necro. Except, Fire maybe…

Essence Harvest no longer gives casting points for killing Ghouls
    Necromancer players will now almost always be offered a necromancer hero in the first round.
    Whispers Of The Dead now costs 15 mana per turn (was 10) and gives a small amount of knowledge for each unit the player kills in combat and each unit that dies in battles that the spell detects

Necromancer players can no longer select the Creation specializations (almost none of the skills in the sphere were of any use to them)

I like.

Taykor

Bad change. Now it’s less sense to choose elemental specs for Necro. Except, Fire maybe…

These spells were useless for necro and cluttered a spellbook. So now it’s actually more sense to choose elemental spheres.

Phantasm Warriors now have resistance 8 (was 9)

I suspect this could be really bad, to the point that one priest could be deadly for them (which is not good for a 80 CP summon supposed to be tanky).

Tombles
    Keymaster

Maybe, it would be better to add some small bonuses to these buildings as other classes have?

When we put the class together, we made a mistake. All the other classes unlock their tier 4 unit from the tier 3 city upgrade, but the Necromancer unlocks a tier 3 unit from it. This means it’s much cheaper for a Warlord to get a city to produce Warbreed, or a Dreadnaught to get to Flame Tanks than for a Necromancer to get Deathbringers. I was going to change Deathbringers to come out of the Boneyard, but people didn’t like it because it feels wrong, and because we’d need to make the Basilica much more powerful, otherwise no-one would build it. Making both the Boneyard and Basilica cheaper means the Necromancer can get to Deathbringers almost as cheaply as other classes get to their second tier 3s, but without having to mess around with anything else.

The spells don’t do anything for Necromancer though. I didn’t remove it to nerf the Necro, I did it because the spells have no effect on Dead cities, so they were just getting in the way…

ExNihil

I suspect this could be really bad, to the point that one priest could be deadly for them (which is not good for a 80 CP summon supposed to be tanky).

Yes, why nerf this unit? Sorcerer is well balanced, any change at this stage just makes it less attractive to play – Summon Fantastic Creature is a semi no-go spell already, Node Serpent can’t hold its own against leveled t3 units at present, and Phantasm Warriors get really butchered by supports as they are at present. So what’s left? Horrors and Wisps?

Zaskow

These spells were useless for necro and cluttered a spellbook. So now it’s actually more sense to choose elemental spheres.

The spells don’t do anything for Necromancer though. I didn’t remove it to nerf the Necro, I did it because the spells have no effect on Dead cities, so they were just getting in the way…

What about making pop, mana, gold, production, whatever bonuses for Necro cities, instead happiness?

Jolly Joker

Zas, it’s actually a buff for Necro, since it doesn’t clutter the spell book – it’s BETTER now ta pick a sphere, because it still makes sense to cast the Empire spell for Necro, because everyone else will have to react and research and cast more.
    While Blight (Destructive) Empire is the logical thing (screwing everyone not being able to counter this with their own Empire), Arctic Empire (Air), is as cool.

Question for Tombles:
    For reasons of symmetry I would like something comparable for Water and Earth (which has a Domain spell at least).
    Earth might get the spell that Water has and that changes a couple of hexes in the city domain to Wetlands, only that it would rise a couple of Mountains, randomly (depeding on Mana?). Would be a temptation for Dwarves.
    Water might get Domain of Wet (everyone loves Wetlands). Wet Empire might simply spread wetlands – but I would like a lot more is if that spell would also change a couple of existing wetland hexes outside of city domains into Water. That could be fun.

Taykor

Node Serpent can’t hold its own against leveled t3 units at present

True, by the way. I still don’t know what to do with them even after all these buffs. Yes, they can deal damage. The only problem, after that they will die. I can save them for some time leaving them in the second line with ranged units and then making a quick rush to a target. But that tactic is not very army slot-effective (as they don’t do anything first 2-3 turns of combat which are critical; ranged units, being ranged, act sooner) and it invariably still fails more or less first time when someone actually retaliates. Same problem as with vyverns, but they are cheaper, could be used as scouts and actually fly.

Tombles
    Keymaster

True, by the way. I still don’t know what to do with them even after all these buffs. Yes, they can deal damage. The only problem, after that they will die. I can save them for some time leaving them in the second line with ranged units and then making a quick rush to a target.

They have better defensive stats than Draconian Flyers and only 1 point of resistance less than Gryphon Riders. They also do more damage than both of those units, much more if Inflict Shocking procs. What is it that makes them so weak compared to those two?

Yes, why nerf this unit?

PWs are extremely good against physical units, they can take on any T2 that has no access to ranged elemental damage (which is most of them) and win with very few losses. The complaint basically was that Sorceror players were only building phantasm warriors in multiplayer matches, and that the only counter was to build mass priests. This led to the problem that mass Phantasms are very good at clearing, while mass priests are not, so the Sorceror has a big advantage either way. The idea was to force Sorceror players to mix in other units which have good resistance (wyverns, racial units, etc) to deal with non-physical units, rather than going all PW all the time.

What about making pop, mana, gold, production, whatever bonuses for Necro cities, instead happiness?

We tried this before and it’s not workable. A metropolis can have like 120 hexes in range, so even if you only give 1 gold per hex, a spell like that can geenrate a huge amount of resources each turn. With happiness, the effect is always capped by the maximum amount of happiness.

Question for Tombles

The problem with placing mountains and water is how much of an impact they have on how fast some units can move. We avoided having spells that can create them, because we were worried it would lead to exploits like “No-one can invade my cities because they’re surrounded by endless walls of mountains” and things like that. Placing water is doubly problematic, since changing a hex to water will drown any unit on that hex which cannot swim/fly/float.

ExNihil

PWs are extremely good against physical units, they can take on any T2 that has no access to ranged elemental damage (which is most of them) and win with very few losses. The complaint basically was that Sorceror players were only building phantasm warriors in multiplayer matches, and that the only counter was to build mass priests. This led to the problem that mass Phantasms are very good at clearing, while mass priests are not, so the Sorceror has a big advantage either way. The idea was to force Sorceror players to mix in other units which have good resistance (wyverns, racial units, etc) to deal with non-physical units, rather than going all PW all the time

They can be easily countered with any support except Storm Sisters , you don’t need priests for that. This unit is expansive and slow, and wyvern are either scouts or cannon fodder. Since Fantastic Creature was nerfed it became redundant – too expansive and too often resulting in fucking wyverns. You either summon a PW or NS. By reducing the resistance here this pretty much means that any t2 dual channel dmg. dealer can kick the crap out of your 80cp a pop summon, which you can’t one turn until late mid-game. What happens if your opponent has a dread army leader with lightning rod banner? Or is Theo with wide access to resistance buffs and supports, or simply has fireball to cast? I play Sorcerer quite a bit, and have been pretty vocal about its OPiness in the past, but it is no longer OP, in fact it is borderline balanced and I don’t think it can take any more nerfs before it becomes IMBA in the wrong direction. If you want to make wyverns more attractive, make them more attractive.

Also don’t forget that very few upgrades are available to summons (1 MCU and 3 alignment specs) that require that the player summon to a domain, which almost never happens. Melee units produced at cities can be buffed with multiple MCUs as well as city spells. And OFC RG upgrades.

Bob5

I don’t think Node Serpents are weak either. They require a bit of finesse to use but their speed on the battlefield is pretty much unmatched, they’re the fastest unit in the game on the tactical map tied with Sprinting Tigran Assassins with Trial Running (both 10 hexes), only Node Serpents also float. The combination of phase and sprint is really powerful, especially if you combine them with Archdruid heroes with Savage Rage to get Charge on them. Phase does not reset the hex counter for Charge, only attacking or ending your turn does, so you can activate Sprint after Phase to get a Charging hit while coming in with Phase. It’s situational but Charge and a flank can just give that extra damage to secure a kill. Phasing sprint is also something that enemy players may not see coming, the combination moves you 10 hexes and Node Serpents have plenty of damage output.

As for the Phantasm Warrior, I don’t really worry about it too much. I don’t think Sorcerers generally have much problems with support spam anyway, they can do that themselves as well, only better.

Tombles
    Keymaster

If you want to make wyverns more attractive, make them more attractive.

I didn’t realise now just how few HP wyverns actually have. For some reason I thought they were much tougher. If we were to boost their HP by 5-10 points, they’d have the same stats as flying cavalry. This would probably help the general perception they’re only worth using as scouts.

Voyager I

This was a very good round of changes, especially on the Phantasm nerf. The jerks started with 8 resistance before the latest expansion and it didn’t hold Sorc back a whole lot so I’m not sure why this is suddenly the deathblow of what is probably the most powerful class in the game.

The simple truth is that Phantasms were in desperate need of a reliably exploitable weakness. They’re a core unit that’s available very early in the game and hard-counters anything that relies on physical damage. In theory they’re weak against elemental damage, but with 9 res and an HP pool that’s only slightly smaller than normal for a T2 there really wasn’t a lot of vulnerability there, especially since Sorceror armies are typically well-equipped for defensive tactical battles where the Phantasms can position themselves conservatively and spent a lot of time time in guard while supports fish for stun procs.

You also have to consider that Supports in general aren’t actually great at dealing bulk damage. A few of them will counter the odd incorporeal unit (especially ones that have a meaningfully small HP pool) or whatever, but they’re a slow, fragile, T2 unit that does the base damage of a T1 archer and also needs to work around range and obstacle penalties. Powerful offensive supports like Witches or Elders with Seeker buffs could pull it off, but a lot of race/class combos flat out don’t have a solid answer to a robust incorporeal T2 making up half an army 20-30 turns into the game.

The general result is that a 9 res Phantasms isn’t so much weak to elemental damage as simply not bullshit, and for how many exceptional qualities they have they very much need a vulnerability.

EDIT: Wyverns could definitely use a boost though, especially if we actually want Sorcs to experiment with options besides Phantasms spam. Summon Fantastic Creature is basically just praying for a Watcher with passable scout as a consolation prize, and as a few other people have pointed out the sad stat of Wyverns makes for some very underwhelming quest rewards.

Zaskow

We tried this before and it’s not workable. A metropolis can have like 120 hexes in range, so even if you only give 1 gold per hex, a spell like that can geenrate a huge amount of resources each turn. With happiness, the effect is always capped by the maximum amount of happiness

Then decision is obvious – population. Will 3 pop/hex be too big?

Personally, I don’t like when spells/abilities were just deleted in such way.

NINJEW

p much what voyager said. phantasms were ridiculous and now their “weakness” (elemental damage) is an actual “weakness” instead of “the only way to possibly deal meaningful damage to them (where even then, it’s not all that much).”

previously if my opponent has 3 phantasms, with a full army backing them up (lets say 2 stacks in total), i wouldn’t feel comfortable initiating that fight unless i had double the amount of supports as my opponent had phantasms, because just equal numbers wouldn’t be enough (the firepower of stunning supports makes getting past the frontline in a very short time absolutely critical, and phantasms were beefy enough against elemental damage that a few phantasms could still delay an assault by several turns, by which point my army is already half dead).

it was kind of dumb that in order to “counter” phantasms, i had to bring twice as many of their “counter” as there were phantasms.

ExNihil

I didn’t realise now just how few HP wyverns actually have. For some reason I thought they were much tougher. If we were to boost their HP by 5-10 points, they’d have the same stats as flying cavalry. This would probably help the general perception they’re only worth using as scouts.

Wyverns also die like flies in autocombat, they are really crappy units, and they don’t synergize with other Sorc. units at all. Since I have been using PW for.hundreds of hours I can say with certainty that there are many ways to counter it. Many classes have access to blight and spirit damage. Fire also works well. Flame tanks do the trick for DN. Multiple t2/3 racials have dual channel, and there are many MCU upgrades that work here. If you nerf this unit, are you going to nerf all other incorporeals? No, but that is pretty much the issue. Yes melee units deal physical, supports deal elemental. But it takes exactly one levelled racial support (not halfling or storm sister) to kill a baseline PW in a single round at close range, and this unit is fucking slow. Good critcals and stuff like fire strike just make this better. Ninjew, since you are maining DN and are not using Flame-Tanks OFC you have a problem here, not because this unit is OP but bcs you use the class this unit is meant to withstand . The only result of this nerf will be to screw the already fragile balance Sorcerer has after all the nerfs.

As for Node Serpent – its a good unit but its a flanket / auxilary, losing to racial t3s one on one and early shut down through DN army leader perks. The 40MP is nice but meaningless when you combine it in a stack, and its vision means it is a so so scout.

Draxynnic

The jerks started with 8 resistance before the latest expansion and it didn’t hold Sorc back a whole lot so I’m not sure why this is suddenly the deathblow of what is probably the most powerful class in the game.

I think the theory is that nonphysical damage in general became a lot more common with Frostlings, and the existence of dual-channel supports (White Witches, Tigran Mystics, and Orc Priests getting Black Bolts) meant that having sub-10 resistance became a significantly greater weakness than it had been.

Thing is, the Phantasm Warrior also got a health bump, which also compensates for elemental damage being more common and makes them even nastier against physical-only armies. They’re a unit that really is strong enough that it needs a counter.

If wyverns are doing so poorly in autocombat, buffing them to compensate might be a good compromise. As well as a hit point buff, they could potentially also stand to get special abilities at bronze (for fire, frost, and gold wyverns, this could be the same as the adults get at bronze. Obsidian wyverns could get Inflict Noxious Vulnerability).

(It’s been observed that some dwellings have fallen behind as class and racial units have been buffed, so it’s probably worth having another look at those on general principles as it is. Compensating for a nerf to sorcerers could be an added bonus.)

ExNihil

Inflict Noxious Vulnerability

Think is this. Shock damage has only a single kind of synergy – Inflict Shocking, which is availble on PW and Shock Serpent as well as star blades. Wyverns don’t offer any real synergy with sorcerer and because this spell is wilcard based you can’t count on it to synergize with your racial support units. The benefit here is marginal at best.

Look at the spell prices:

80CP – PW, result is a slow melee damage dealer that has inflict shocking and 60% physical resistance + shock damage, for t2 maintanace this is a relatively attractive deal, although this unit is altogether not very impressive – semi-powerful for late early to mid-game, weak for late-game.

110CP – Fantastic Creature, since the chance of summoning a watcher was substantially nerfed this spell basically drops a shitload of crappy wyverns that don’t synergize with anything. They are flying, but this is a negative when your entire army is floating – just running head-on into the enemy, and without the defensive capacities to withstand this at all.

120CP – Node Serpent. Really not my favorite unit at all, but when it comes to summoning this or fantastic creature there is absolutely no question here where to go. This unit has inter-unit synergy.

Once Horrors are available there is simply no reason to go for lower tier units, the difference is probably a single turn in summoning (depending on how you manage and build your CP) and the price-performance ratio is simply much better.

So, Sorcerer has a problem. I have proposed before (when I asked for the nerfs that have been included in this class, to mana and to fantastic creature) that PW will be reduced to 70CP, alongside a small nerf, Fantastic Creature moved to 100CP alongside some buff to wyverns and with a small increase in watcher probability (I’d do 25-33%), and Node Serpent kept at 120 or increased to 130 (if buffed a bit – it could do with a bit more defense or extra HP).

An alternative would be to create a summon watcher spell at 130-140CP, and move Node Serpent into the Fantastic Creature list – perhaps alongside the feathered serpent as well, at 100CP (PW at 70CP) – with some buff to wyverns. This would really create a range of options, but as it was explained to me previously – this is harder to do.

As long as the pricing remains the same, there will be no reason to summon fantastic creature IMO at all, and the real issue is the monotony of Sorcerer armies here.

Also, I already wrote this but I think it requires emphasis – Sorcerer almost doesn’t enjoy MCU upgrades and benefits from alignment upgrades on its supports only usually. Other classes have very powerful options unlocking this way, which offer multiple elemental options as well as very useful abilities. Yes, based on the game without RG upgrades / MCUs and so forth Sorcerer has some advantages with its class units, but the fact is that these elements are in the game and some MCUs can be unlocked fairly early. With the exception of Horrors, all summons are pure melee based units – and quite fragile at that except the physical resistance, I don’t think there is much room to play here without screwing this class of its only real advantage except supports, which by and by are possible to counter in multiple ways.

One last thing: Star Blades – it gives Inflict Shocking to ranged attacks but no extra damage, which means your ranged can be shut-down against units with immunity to that respective element, and that you have no way of bypassing this. I find this problematic, and would like to ask that star-blades open up these damage channels on ranged as well – perhaps while increasing in price from 5cp to 8cp.

NINJEW

Ninjew, since you are maining DN and are not using Flame-Tanks OFC you have a problem here, not because this unit is OP but bcs you use the class this unit is meant to withstand

dude you know that phantasms come out way, way sooner than flame tanks do right

Sorcerer is my least favorite class to play, even rogue is more fun to me, which in the past would be my least favorite class, but after evolving scoundrels they became a bit more interesting. The main problem is that by end game I have only just 2-3 kind of units in my armies compositions, while playing with let`s say a Theocrat sometimes I have 5-6 kind of different units.

So a buff to wyverns + CP decrease to Summon Fantastic Creatures would be highly appreciated, I would like to se something different besides just extra HP, like a lesser breath ability gained at gold, that instead being huge V shape AoE could be in line and deal less damage and even 2 turns cooldown instead of 1.

Also it would be cool if there were more sites abble to buff summons (that were summoned in the city with the corresponding structure), even some of the old structure could be changed to also buff summons (magic academy or enchanted armory)

NINJEW

flame tanks will be great vs phantasms on turn 25!

Voyager I

Also, I already wrote this but I think it requires emphasis – Sorcerer almost doesn’t enjoy MCU upgrades and benefits from alignment upgrades on its supports only usually. Other classes have very powerful options unlocking this way, which offer multiple elemental options as well as very useful abilities. Yes, based on the game without RG upgrades / MCUs and so forth Sorcerer has some advantages with its class units, but the fact is that these elements are in the game and some MCUs can be unlocked fairly early. With the exception of Horrors, all summons are pure melee based units – and quite fragile at that except the physical resistance, I don’t think there is much room to play here without screwing this class of its only real advantage except supports, which by and by are possible to counter in multiple ways.

In an MP game it’s like 50/50 if RG3 will even come into play. They’re helpful, but rarely the centerpiece of strategies and plenty of race/class combos have to accept that their RG upgrades not doing much of anything important for them (in which case, hey, there’s always econ!), especially since early-game upgrades are often specific to racial units whose roles may be supplanted by a class unit. An Orc Warlord isn’t getting the RG1 damage boost on his Berserkers either!

I’m honestly not sure what to say to someone who was defining 48 HP with baseline T2 defensive attributes and 60% physical resistance as “quite fragile”. By those standards I guess Crusaders are “alright”.

One last thing: Star Blades – it gives Inflict Shocking to ranged attacks but no extra damage, which means your ranged can be shut-down against units with immunity to that respective element, and that you have no way of bypassing this. I find this problematic, and would like to ask that star-blades open up these damage channels on ranged as well – perhaps while increasing in price from 5cp to 8cp.

Star Blades is a melee buff, not a ranged one. The only reason it has any benefit to ranged attacks is an artifact of inflict attributes being universal to the unit unless specifically created not to be (like Razor Projectiles), and casting Star Blades on a ranged unit is enough of a fringe case that it slipped under the radar or wasn’t considered worth creating an exception for. If there was going to be a mechanical correction made to the spell, it wouldn’t be the one you’re hoping for.

As for your reasoning behind that complaint, as someone who watched the battle that inspired it: don’t go-all-in on Human Priests against another Human player when you know how immunities work and you know he can just build a bunch of his own priests and hand out Strong Will like candy. It’s not like you don’t already have a ranged support available with a Fire/Frost/Shock ranged attack.

Finally, sweet lord no you’re not getting an inexpensive Sorceror exclusive buff that adds three damage channels to ranged attacks. Do you even read the things that you write?

Akinaba
    • Phantasm Warriors now have resistance 8 (was 9)

Would that be true for Ancestrial Spirits as well?

• Corpus Furia now does 15 blight damage (was 10 physical)

That makes the spell almost useless against Necro (aside destroying all corpses that may considered be allready enough) not to speak of another bunch of Blight-protected Units. Couldn’t we have some slight Phys dmg to stay?

ephafn

Tombles wrote:

Corpus Furia now does 15 blight damage (was 10 physical)

I think the point of that change is to remove friendly fire to your own troops, but I can be wrong here as I never tried that spell yet. Against a necromancer, it can be useful to deprive the necro from being able to raise the corpses, which is useful in its own right.

Akinaba

I think the point of that change is to remove friendly fire to your own troops, but I can be wrong here as I never tried that spell yet. Against a necromancer, it can be useful to deprive the necro from being able to raise the corpses, which is useful in its own right.

If you’re playing any other class then Necro – the blight 15 dmg is still pretty much a friendly fire (in some ceases even more then 10 phys)

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 170 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.