Very Unstable Framerate

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Help & Support General Tech Issues Very Unstable Framerate

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Millduke 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Millduke

So here’s my issue :

On strategic map i can get 40-50 FPS as i start a new game but it gradually decrease to 30 as i explore the map, which is annoying, but bearable. This is not even considering the fps drop when scrolling (which is being fixed, as tombles said)

On combat map i can have 60 FPS if there is few units and desert landscape for instance. If i fight in a city with few units the fps become 50-40 (big fps drop if the buildings of the city are in the field of view). And if 7 armies are fighting in a siege i get 30 FPS. This is playable enough, but bear with me : The biggest issue is, as the battle goes on, the FPS keeps dropping, each time a unit dies, and my framerate can get as low as 7-8 FPS by the end of the battle. Which is nigh unplayable.

It seems like there is something wrong with the rendering engine. The presence of static 3D objects on screen cause a huge performance hit, when it shouldn’t at all (from what i observed the presence of unit’s bodies on the ground, houses, walls etc. have more performance impact than the presence of animated units still breathing).

I’m playing on Sony laptop, SVS13, with a 2,6ghz core i5 processor, nVidia 640M LE gpu and 8gb RAM. I’ve set the nvidia control panel so that the discrete gpu is used at all times (and i added a specific setting for aow3.exe to be sure). My drivers are not up to date but i prefer keeping this version unless it’s really necessary (i have had bad experience previously with nvidia drivers not recognizing my laptop’s screen, even on stable builds so ..)

The in game settings i use are :
    Fullscreen
    1366×768 (native is 1600×900)
    60hz
    Vertical Sync : Off
    Texture : High
    Shadow : Off
    SSAO : Off
    No Anti Aliasing, No Soft Particles, No Bloom and No Reflections.

You’ll find enclosed my dxdiag.txt.

Attachments:
    1. DxDiag8.txt

I guess the game is using Intel graphics rather than NVidia card you have. You need to add it in NVidia control panel to force it to use the proper graphics card.

Millduke

No, as i’ve already stated.

I’ve set the nvidia control panel so that the discrete gpu is used at all times (and i added a specific setting for aow3.exe to be sure).

If the intel processor was used, i would never get 60 fps anywhere.

DauntlessK

Millduke

Not helping much, but thanks for the tip, i discovered a new function in task manager that i didn’ know 🙂

DauntlessK

Not helping much, but thanks for the tip, i discovered a new function in task manager that i didn’ know :)

I am always keeping an eye on processes. Get to know what is always running and finding what garbage is running in the background and getting rid of it helps your comp continue to run optimally.

JDYoder

I’d like to benchmark various settings, but I don’t know how to check my FPS. How are you guys doing that? Thanks in advance.

DauntlessK

I’d like to benchmark various settings, but I don’t know how to check my FPS. How are you guys doing that? Thanks in advance.

How do you show FPS in-game?

JDYoder

Yes, that’s what I’d like to know.

DauntlessK

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DauntlessK wrote:</div>

Yes, that’s what I’d like to know.

You’d think it would automatically show in debug mode. Or in the report at least show an average frame rate…

JDYoder

Tried running AoW3_Debug.exe… still nothing.

Millduke

You can install a software such as FRAPS.

Horg

I’ve been having the exact same problem with frame rate tanking in large city siege battles. Once turn 5 or later roll around and the corpses start piling up, my frame rate drops from very smooth to slide show. I’m using a Radeon 270x with 13.12 drivers, 8gig DDR3 ram@ 1333mhz, AMD Phenom 2 quad core @3.6ghz.

Millduke

I’ve been having the exact same problem with frame rate tanking in large city siege battles. Once turn 5 or later roll around and the corpses start piling up, my frame rate drops from very smooth to slide show. I’m using a Radeon 270x with 13.12 drivers, 8gig DDR3 ram@ 1333mhz, AMD Phenom 2 quad core @3.6ghz.

I had reports of various people having the same issue with different configurations, though on higher end GPU the drop is barely noticeable it exist as well. So i’m definetely sure the issue come from the game.

Hopefully the next patch will help.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.