What are the benefits of migrating?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions What are the benefits of migrating?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  minusthedrifter 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Diair

In the old games, you were forced to migrate cities that were populated by a race that didn’t match your alignment. So if you were playing as the Dark Elves, you could only keep orcish, goblish and Undead cities.

In AoW3, alignment no longer matters at all (It seems), and I’ve yet to migrate a single city because of it. Absorbing is fast and seemingly painless.

So what are the pros of migrating? You usually don’t have enough of a cash flow to build up more than 2-3 cities at a time, so why not go for troop variety?

melkathi

Cities you capture aren’t necessarily in ideal terrain, so it may be better to have another race in that city for moral.
    Or you may have a global spell going that will turn all your domain into one climate. Then you may choose to use only races that like it.

Ice Age

Because goblins are the best and should rule and cover the world. (I do agree of leaving one city per other races, so they wont get extinct…)

Because some races don’t get along with curtain terrain types.

Because I just want to punish the population of my hated enemy’s throne city, so I send them into an exile and settle loyal citizens instead.

Because you are evil and want to stay evil.

I’m sure there are other reason for doing it though…

It becomes useful on the bigger maps, when you run into an big area with only towns of one race, then you can migrate one or 2, to get frontline cities ready for your favored army composition.

granted, migration isn’t as often used as in AoW2, but still an useful mechanic to get the much needed diversity in your racial units, especially as a sorceror

Narvek
    Keymaster

Migration may be faster: If you are Pure Good for example Absorbing a Pure Evil city will take 11 turns.

On the other hand, Migration duration is based on the distance to the city you’re migrating from (always the closest city of that race).

Yeah, sorcerer needs it most of all. Since they’re so dependent on summoning for their class units, so you want a large variety of other types of units. Though frankly I find that dwarves just stomp over everything with big, big boots. Most of my cities are just mana factories when I’m playing sorcerer. Then I just pump out summons every. single. turn. over and over and over again. The vast majority of my cities just have produce mana on infinite, or they alternate between mana and merchandising if only to have money to keep producing mana boosting facilities and settlements to be mana producing facilities.

I always migrate primarily because I like Orcs and other races are delicious. Plus the Orc racial bonus perfectly fits with how I play Warlord. So if I want to recruit from somewhere I want to be sure I’m getting the units I prefer, which is Orc.

The only race that doesn’t end up on the dinner plate are Dwarves, they’re hearty and powerful and their crossbows are nice.

Biggest reason to migrate I feel is to have the racial bonuses you want where you want them.

Ericridge

I’m pure good but I migrate in my humans and dwarves like a complete evil overlord xD

Sathra

Also either an Expander or Warlord trait (forgot which one) meant I could migrate a city in 1 turn. It was nearly always faster than absorbing and I was pure evil anyways.

bwill828

Ok, I can understand migrating an Independent city an evil act, but a city your at war with, no way should that be an evil act, it’s a casualty of war. The choice should be yours without any penalty.

Ok, I can understand migrating an Independent city an evil act, but a city your at war with, no way should that be an evil act, it’s a casualty of war. The choice should be yours without any penalty.

You’re forcibly uprooting or killing thousands of people so your chosen race can move in… that’s pretty evil regardless of your war state.

DadouXIII

I do agree that there should be better incentive to migrate (from a gameplay point of view)!

I do agree that there should be better incentive to migrate (from a gameplay point of view)!

Racial units and bonuses.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.