What DLC's would you pay for?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions What DLC's would you pay for?

This topic contains 38 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  Stormwind 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author

I remember when Xcom: Enemy Unknown released its first DLC, Operation Slingshot. I think everybody who was playing Xcom at that time collectively, if figuratively, looked at each other, puzzled, and asked “is that really what Firaxis thought we wanted for additional content?”

So don’t get me wrong – I understood it was 6 races, 6 classes, and 2 campaigns with a random map generator when I first bought Age of Wonders 3, and I was pretty happy with the amount of content for the cost. When Golden Realms rolled around, I gladly put my money down for that too, because who wouldn’t want an extra race, an extra specialization, and an extra campaign. This next expansion with necromancers and frostlings is also shaping up to take my money. But I think it’d be interesting to take a survey of what people actually want to see in DLC because strategy games like Age of Wonders need to be sprawling, and development (as far as I understand) is never free. There are already a lot of threads with suggestions for specific DLC, like a class or specialization someone thinks would be interesting, but as far as I know, there’s no thread broadly about the kind of content we’d like to see versus the types of content we’d pass on.

To start this off, I’d obviously pay for new classes and new races, but what I desperately want are expansions for specializations. I’d pay for something like a content pack that just drops 3 or so new specializations into the game, or something that adds a few more research options to every pre-existing specialization. I’d also pay for a DLC that only added new location types to the random map generator or new kinds of dwellings, even if they ended up using pre-existing units (for that matter, I’d also buy DLC of new giants, dragons, and fairies, even if they were crammed into pre-existing dwellings). In general, I think AoW3 is giving players a lot more options in customization, but all those options in customization are still going up against the same handful of conditions that have been adequate since release. I want more variety in situations to react to, if that makes sense.

I would personally not pay for anything that was only cosmetics (though I wonder if there are others out there who would), like new clothing sets or hairstyles for heroes. I would also be unlikely to pay for new game modes, a new campaign, or a new scenario.

Low_K

I would pay for every DLC released. Cosmetic, gameplay, new races, new classes, really everything.

These tiny development studios really need all the help they can get, I would much rather spend a few €’s on a cosmetic pack with some new leader clothes from Triumph then from e.g. The Great Evil of Evils; Ubisoft.

I never understood why people would spend money on some MP weapons for a game released by a massive behemoth of a studio who has millions in spare change. I would much rather spend my money on small, indie companies who actually care about their games and players. And need the money more.

As for XCOM:EU. I bought the Slingshot DLC and all other DLC because it was one of the best games ever made, even while it was made by a large studio. I found (yes, even Slingshot) worth its price due to the cosmetic stuff which I am a sucker for.

So tl;dr: I would buy any DLC from Triumph, no questions asked. “A game worth playing, is a game worth buying DLC”

Kind regards,

Low

Ravenholme

Low said it all.

Ghevd

I don’t have golden realms yet… YET! Why? I could careless about halflings. But necromancers? OMG I’m so there! Unfortunately for my wallet I will get golden realms before the necromancer release because well halflings deserve to die and become part of my undead legions.

Once necromancy is available I’ll have no choice in the matter what expansions to buy. I gotta have em all. New race? New undead! New class? New undead! New cosmetics? New undead clothes! New specialization? New whip for my undead!

Wintermoore

I am with Low_K, I will purchase all DLCs Triumph has to offer in the future. As a matter of fact, I wish Triumph prints T-Shirts of the classes I will get them all! To show my support.

Gloweye

I don’t have golden realms yet… YET! Why? I could careless about halflings. But necromancers? OMG I’m so there! Unfortunately for my wallet I will get golden realms before the necromancer release because well halflings deserve to die and become part of my undead legions.

Once necromancy is available I’ll have no choice in the matter what expansions to buy. I gotta have em all. New race? New undead! New class? New undead! New cosmetics? New undead clothes! New specialization? New whip for my undead!

For me, the Mystical City upgrades > Halflings by far. much more fun. Also, I agree with you on the New Undead argument.

EDIT: I’d also buy the T-shirts, despite the fact that I’m a poor student without money. Maybe that’d actually get other people to try the game…

Jolly Joker

I’ll also buy every DLC – mainly because I’m quite certain that Triumph won’t make crappy ones.

And by the way, I like that T-Shirt idea!
    One for each class, one for each race, I suppose I’m going to buy a couple, the way I got Stark and Lannister T-Shirts. 🙂

Not sure what I am allowed to say or not say, but the current XP is….delicious.

Btw, I’ll talk to Arjan, I think we may get another raffle going :).

Gyor

I bought Golden Realms rescently for 2 reasons, dispite having no interest in halflings, one they managed to make Halfling interesting with units like Jesters, chicken throwing farmers, Brew Brothers and so on plus Halflings have a cool mechanic in lucky. They did the impossible and made me want to play Halflings. The other bigger reason was Nagas, I found the dwelling to be really cool as were the creatures in it. Golden Realms has some other cool stuff.

As for the next for pay DLC Frostlings sound awesome as do Necromancers and the new specializations as well so that’s a no brainer.

There will then be the racial governence DLC, but I think that one was free.

After that I think it will a Desert/Tigran DLC so I’ll pick that up to. We’ll see what they come up with then.

Although I’d like a very Aasimirish Archon race (not dwelling, I want Archon Succubi, Deathbringers, and Shamans, Assassins.

I would be pretty excited for expanding most any aspect of the game to be sure. The best part is Triumph doesn’t sit on their laurels and just churn out race pack #654, they go out and shake up gameplay and mechanics where they see they can make improvements. To me the halflings (fun as they are) weren’t even the big thing about golden realms, it was the mechanics changes brought in by empire quests, seals, rebalancing of many spells and units, and AI surrender that really changed gameplay.

Because of this fearless desire to improve and iterate I’d gladly get just about anything they produce, from content to cosmetics (500x more if it involves multiplayer improvements).

Stormwind

I’ve become a fan of triumph, if they make it I’ll buy it.

As an addendum to talking about Triumph’s willingness to improve and iterate on their game – take a look at how much bad press and unhappiness Double Fine generated when they announced they were giving up on space base DF-9. They didn’t change the game, just announced they were done improving it. They only changed people’s perceptions and hopes for the future, but it had a *huge* impact to the point that many people have promised to boycott the studio entirely. I mention it because it is basically the total opposite of what Triumph has done. Having a reputation for improving something rather than pumping it out and abandoning it is a major difference between big studios and indie devs, and nurturing (or failing to do so) that reputation can make die hard fans or spread bitter regret.

As people in the thread have said, a big reason people are interested in what Triumph does with the game is because they do such a great job of pleasing the unruly mob that is any group of fans.

Ravenholme

As for the next for pay DLC Frostlings sound awesome as do Necromancers and the new specializations as well so that’s a no brainer.

There will then be the racial governence DLC, but I think that one was free.

Racial Governance is part of the new expansion pack, I’m pretty sure, its not seperate. Not sure if it will be a free upgrade for everyone, or like Mystical City Upgrades.

Gloweye

Racial Governance is part of the new expansion pack, I’m pretty sure, its not seperate. Not sure if it will be a free upgrade for everyone, or like Mystical City Upgrades.

It’s part of the free patch, not the expansion.

Mourioche

I play few game : 1, 2.. perhaps 3 (sometime)
    I play very often AoW3.
    Triumph make a good job, and listen players.
    So i think i’ll buy all DLC.

Charlatan

I would pay for whatever DLC brings back modding support and/or overhauls the Editor with features.

terrahero

Anything that adds races or classes or otherwise more units is a likely pick-up for me. I always love more variety.

Cosmetics would really depend on the content of the cosmetics and how much they appeal to me. But i think very highly of Triumph as a developer and that does bias me somewhat.
    However scenario’s i would probably skip. I just never play them so it would have to really appeal to me immensely.

UltraDD

Whatever they call the current expansion. It is too big to be wrapped with just “the chilling death” goofy tier name :P.

Jaduggar

I would pay for every DLC released. Cosmetic, gameplay, new races, new classes, really everything.

I’ll also buy every DLC – mainly because I’m quite certain that Triumph won’t make crappy ones.

I’ll buy anything released for this game. It is currently my favorite game and, although I mostly stop playing games when semester is underway, I want anything that will expand its content. I would pay for cosmetic DLC, because I love custom leaders, but I would expect that before we get a purely cosmetic expansion, the devs should give us some way of creating heroes, too.

What I mainly want out of DLCs is… basically what weve been getting so far. Races, classes, dwellings, new dungeons, new specializations, and new units. I loved mystic city upgrades, and Defensive structures both, and Im sure I would get very excited about anything new which promised to expand city customization.

I do think that expansions/DLCs need to be balanced with an attention to fixing old issues as well, but it mostly seems like Triumph is doing a good job of that. Overall, I am quite happy with Triumph, probably my favorite game studio since Sierra went under.

New undead clothes!

ESCL

Yup, I’d buy anything and everything. The base game cut my food budget in half for that month, and yet I didn’t hesitate to do the same thing when GR came out. Now that I’ve actually got a salary I don’t even have to pretend to think about it. Damn, I’d might even buy AoW boxers if they started selling them.

Socratatus

I think it`s important to have a sense of control with this kind of thing. I would NOT buy anything they made. I would buy what I thought was good and interested me.

1.I would certainly buy a good fleshed out Costume DLC that added 30-40 different designs for your leader costumes so the Player could basically make anyone he could dream of- I`d buy that.

2. I`d buy a good fleshed out DLC that added more gameplay options, sounds, graphics (new shield designs, even import custom designs), etc especially for random games.

3. I`d buy a good expansion with new scenarios and all the above.

Stuff like that I`d buy, but not anything especially if it looked like it was a cheap cash in.

Jaduggar

but not anything especially if it looked like it was a cheap cash in.

This is true, of course, the only thing is: I dont feel like Triumph is going to do that. Doesnt seem like their that kind of company, and if they were to do that all of a sudden, then I would really be disappointed.

One thing I would like to see though, is a lot more lootable items and Forge options…

LordCameron

As Socratatus said, I’ll only buy DLC that is rich in content and depth, but Triumph easily succeeds at that everytime, so I’ll always buy. As to what I’m willing to buy, anything that is non-cosmetic is a shoe in.

redskull2

so what would I pay for?

1. oddly enough I really somehow get behind the shirt idea. I would love to own a necro and a dreadnought shirt (knight pistol cavalry man nuff said).

2. specializations, races, classes. Additional combinations only extend the play ability through “what if?” combos.

3. dwellings and mystical upgrades. Combinations that are emergent and not picked before the start of the game. Even once you have picked your race/specialization/class combo these can change your game plan and make each game unique.

cosmetic DLC? meh. I want the meat not the salad dressing. Give me things that extend the legs of the game, not the color of the track suit. At least with the t-shirt I have something I can throw on to promote the game, cosmetic DLC is only inside the game.

Jaduggar

cosmetic DLC? meh. I want the meat not the salad dressing. Give me things that extend the legs of the game, not the color of the track suit.

W..What?! o.O

Longer pantlegs arent better… youll trip… and you put salad dressing on meat? I dont even… how…

._.

Stormwind

So, are you a fellow Sacrifice fan?

If we want to talk about merch, I’d buy just about anything you could think of if it had a large class emblem on it, and nothing else.

Sell me a t-shirt, hoodie, mousepad, or whatever with the Dreadnought or Warlord emblem on it!

Jaduggar

So, are you a fellow Sacrifice fan?

Sharp memory, Sir! 😀

Yes… I loved Sacrifice ♥

I still play it sometimes, what fun that game was 🙂

manetzj

All of them. If it says Age of Wonders then I’m buying it.

Fonzosh

I must say it depends on the price. For very small ammounts I can buy almost everything. Its all down to economics. A price list for me is something like (in euros):

1.5 for a new class
    1.3 for a new races
    1.0 for a major game changing concept
    0.5 for a major visual package
    0.2 for a new hero ability
    0.2 for a major new monster
    0.1 for a minor new monster
    0.1 for a new building

Well, you catch my drift. I played Xcom a lot and bought both slingshot and EI for a bargain price, although I didnt want to pay full price when it was realesed. I didnt pay for the extra cosmetics since I thought it was to much money for just some extra look on your marines.

So, with the DLC coming out now, I certainly would pay about 10 euros for it, but if it goes a lot higher, then Im not so sure.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.