What is your typical army makeup?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions What is your typical army makeup?

This topic contains 20 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Epaminondas 8 years ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

For 6 unit army

Early to Mid game:
    2 melee – infantry, calvary, or pikemen
    2 priest – any priest
    1 special – bard, succubus, assassin, etc.

End Game
    I just replace the T4s with whatever category they fall under. If ranged, take out a priest. If melee put it in that slot.

I find that priests are better than the regular ranged units because most of them can fire 3x AND heal buff or curse when needed. I seem to almost always build a shrine first thing and start my armies with 2 priests in each..

I wonder how other people compose things for comparison.

drachasor

I usually have no more than 1 melee unit. I favor heavy ranged formations. It varies if I have access to some really powerful melee units perhaps, but overall I find killing guys before they can get off more than one or two melee attacks very effective.

Fanboi1234

Hero + 2 melee/damage takers +3 ranged – can be any combination of actual units.

All my heroes tend to be ranged, so it’s 4 ranged, 2 melee. Mid to late game I’ll have stacks of just Catapults to add with the normal stacks during combat.

SlyDevil

I find that it can vary heavily from class to class, but I usually go for heavy concentrations of mixed range units in the beginning (unless I’m dreadnought, in which case I just crank out musketeers as fast as I can).

Endgame again depends on the class, but it’s mostly t4/t3 mixes (again, unless I’m dreadnought, in which case I keep producing musketeers even in the endgame because they’re so damn useful)

Harv

Cities rush either a siege workshop or a temple. I make a bunch of trebs and racial priests to be the meat of my army. Heroes, starting army, and site rescues fill out the melee. Rely on this until I have T4 up. If desperate I might make a few class T3s.

wooaa

I don’t have much in the way of a “standard” army. I usually build 3 or 4 cites up then set them to auto produce units with the same waypoint. Every few days I gather them up and send them to the front. I try to keep a balance of about one normal infantry, one pikeman, 2 ranged/support, a trebuchet and a T3/4, but production hang ups and me sending an army off early often throw it out of whack. If it gets super bad, like one instance when I had 5 musketeers and a golem, I rearrange them.

Garresh

Swarms of irregulars. They produce for dirt cheap and do a decent job clearing neutral camps. When faced with a “better” army, I can outnumber then and start using my empire upgrades to make them better.

wooaa

I have found that scoundrel and assassin spam works rather well for rouges. Throw in a shadow stalker for some tanking and you have a relatively cheep and mobile army. You might take heavy losses against a cavalry heavy army because that mostly negates your mobility advantage, but it does the job okay.

Think of me as Attila the Hun.

I am all about extraordinary speed and incredibly powerful lighting attacks. As such, I typically always play a Human Warlord who rushes Knights as soon as I can afford to. My ideal army makeup is;

1 Hero
    3 Knights
    2 Monster Hunters, or Mounted Archers. (in lieu of a hero this would be 3)

Combined with Explorer Monster Hunters have no problem keeping up with cavalry, and their many “slayer” abilities and throw net skill these guys make for amazing support. Especially given how easily they can turn an enemy for a flanking charge. Once a Knight hits Elite status, you research Thoroughbred Mounts and Martial Arts your humble Knights become, effectively, t3.5. The have incredible defense, arrows don’t phase them, reaction attacks tickle them, their health is 115 and they have 36MP. They are absolutely brutal.

In fact, this army composition will carry me through just about any game easily. So much so I’ve not used the t4 Manticore in ages, and have no real need too. Even Warbreeds see limited use as mainly siege creatures as sieges are the only time my unstoppable hoards can be stopped, unless I support them with much slower siege equipment.

I give my leader a contingent of royal guard (4x Pikemen) and 1x Support.

For my other heroes, it depends on the hero type.

For ranged: 2x archers, 3x melee.
    For melee: 2x melee, 2x archers, 1x support.

Though, of course, I vary things up based on my leader’s character concept and the faction concept I’ve thought up for the game in question.

As for armies without heroes, I tend to create narrowly specialized armies.
    So 6x archers, 6x trebuchets, 6x cavalry, etc.
    Though sometimes, such as when creating armies from units acquired from dwellings, I tend to add one support unit, i.e. 5x that Tier III faerie unit (the dark purple ones) + 1x Nymph.

My armies tend to be about evenly split between ranged (archers, support, irregular) and melee (infantry and cavalry, pikemen if I’m playing a warlord), with heroes counting as a ranged unit. So, for an endgame Theocrat army, my perfect lineup would be 2 Shrines of Smiting, my leader, and either 3 Exalted, Flyers, Gryphon Riders, or some combination of them.

Sathra

Really depends on class. So Theocrat armies are pretty much all Crusaders with 2 support, or 2 Crusaders, Support and Trebuchets. Warlord is half/half, with a slight bias towards melee (either monster hunters or zerkers).

Heroes get whatever helps them out best, or that I have lying around. In my current warlord game, its alot of monster hunters.

Epaminondas

I play Theocrat exclusively, so I tend to abuse healing. Typically, my unit composition will be like 3 ranged damage and 3 melee damage/blocker types, and I will have at least 4 healers in the stack (but this will be harder now with Exalted no longer having healing). I then “turtle” and let the AI come to me, all the while my units exchange healing and DPS-ing.

oim

whatever makes sense at the time to go on the offensive and counter the other guy

don’t make plans, make units. each game is different and being able to adapt beats having a favorite configuration every time

melkathi

1 Hero giving spirit protection to the army.
    1 Titan
    2 archon clerics
    2 archon archers or 1 archer 1 wraith (king) or a second Titan or a third cleric (if leader=sorcerer who gives the clerics stun)

Epaminondas

whatever makes sense at the time to go on the offensive and counter the other guy

don’t make plans, make units. each game is different and being able to adapt beats having a favorite configuration every time

That may be true in MP, but not in SP.

Sathra

I play Theocrat exclusively, so I tend to abuse healing. Typically, my unit composition will be like 3 ranged damage and 3 melee damage/blocker types, and I will have at least 4 healers in the stack (but this will be harder now with Exalted no longer having healing). I then “turtle” and let the AI come to me, all the while my units exchange healing and DPS-ing.

Didn’t they also add another turn cooldown to Healing?

oim

That may be true in MP, but not in SP.

sp is already repetitive and low risk so you have even more of a reason to mix up your strategy just to keep it entertaining, otherwise you’re just going to comp stomp the ai the exact same way over and over again

b0rsuk

sp is already repetitive and low risk so you have even more of a reason to mix up your strategy just to keep it entertaining

You’re talking to a person who plays Theocrat exclusively.

Epaminondas

You’re talking to a person who plays Theocrat exclusively.

😉

I also prefer the “bottom” position almost exclusively; damn, I hate “working’! 🙂

Epaminondas

Didn’t they also add another turn cooldown to Healing?

I am not sure; I haven’t been able to play the beta yet due to work.

But if that happened, then I understand, as healing was arguably over-powered when you play Theocrat the way I do.

Edit: Hmmm, shit. I have to find a new play-style, it looks! ;(

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.