What items do you go for with the Item Forge?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions What items do you go for with the Item Forge?

This topic contains 19 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Gloweye 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Diair

I usually ignore it when playing, as I feel there are more important things to use my gold on. If I do use it, I’ve usually just about won anyway, and am just mopping up stragglers. I usually end up designing a ridicilous item that takes something silly like 10 turns to build for the funsies.

But are there some good items that can be built fairly early, which are actually useful during normal gameplay? Do you guys have any favorites?

Mythabril

Simple stuff like healing, longbows, blunderbuss/musket, alternate damage type bolts and later a seeker item and damage upgrade shield/weapon. I’d kill for a mystic city upgrade that adds even a single point to the item forge, I’m always one short.

Fluks

Depends very much on the map and the opponents. When playing against Dreadnought I like to give my warlord heroes an item with sabotage as this is ultra handy against all their machinery.
    When playing island maps I sometimes build shoes with the “swimming” ability for a dreadnought hero (with repair machine) and have him as commander of a little fleet that controls the seaways.
    Both items are rather cheap and have a great gain imho. If I just can’t get a druid or theocrat hero I sometimes also forge an Item that grants the “healing” ability. I also remember that it was at some point possible to pump up a sorcerer Hero so that he had true sight, the vision range of a watchtower, flying and group invisibility. It included a rather cheap +1 vision range item (+ getting a flying mount from this sorcerer spell + the according sorcerer level upgrades) but I think this has soewhat been taken care of in the patches or hasn’t it?

Motasa

I mostly play as a Arch Druid and like to make myself an Shield/Quiver item that grants an additional +2 elemental damage. Add an helmet with seeker on it and it will make that longbow more of a sniper rifle. For melee heroes, shield items with an aura (fire, frost or shock) are also really useful in my opinion. And don’t forget the useable items, which can really give your heroes an edge.

With the new specializations (Shadowborn, Keeper of Peace) that are tied in with alignment – making units/heroes dedicated to evil/good – items that make your heroes good/evil slayer or holy or unholy champions are a nice bonus if you decided to choose other specializations and encounter an opposing evil overlord or a goody two shoes.

Dagoth Ur

Only the Master Illusionist has been pushed back, rest remains the same.

Healing especially.
    Sometimes: Seeker + Ranged Damages on shield slot + Slayer skills on weapon (works ranged).
    One time I tried Life Steal/Elemental Damage + Life Drain (it stacks with Life Steal) + Fearsome + Tireless for some gimmicky rage-quit inducer but you know, once it dies, it’s dead.

Nerdfish

Bringer of Goodwill Hats for everyone.
    Fire Musket for Everyone.
    Seduce for everyone.

Eomolch

The good thing about the item forge is that it mainly burns mana, so if you are short on gold, but have enough mana it can be quite useful. I am currently in a game where I got a city with 3 dungeons and therefore ridiculous 230 production (without siege workshop, master guild) .. so I also used it some time to mass-produce seeker head slot items for my ranged heroes.

Other items I usually create (if I get around to use the forge) are shield-items with + ranged damage and melee weapons with two different +2 *channel my hero doesn’t have yet* melee damage. Healing or heal undead on a usable item can sometimes also be worth it. However if I get around to make stuff like life-stealing/draining shields or armor with +10 life that usually means I have practically won the game^^ Also I am glad they removed regrowth from the item forge …

Diair

Huh, I guess I should stop ignoring it, it does sound like I could do some useful stuff with it. Thanks everyone!

Nerdfish

It’s super useful for gold based classes. you can use the mana which you don’t really use to reduce the gold upkeep of your defensive stacks by making goodwill hats.

I don’t know if those hats stacks with vow of poverty and sustainable warfare. but it would very awesome if they do.

kerzain

I start with Seeker Headresses:
    I always make Seeker Headdresses for every hero, unless they’re already wearing something better. I prioritize higher damage range hero’s first of course.

Tanky Shields:
    I tend to make a super beefy tanky shield for a melee hero if they aren’t wearing something better.

Fireworks:
    I’ll make Fireworks for those heroes that lead lots of melee units, or will be in melee themselves. If I have access to Halflings and have room for their Jesters I’ll bring a couple of them instead.

Hatmage

For sorcerors and theocrats, neither of whom are really suited to melee, I fill the melee weapon slot with a “Ward Breaker” which is just a bunch of slaying effects that target high resistance foes (hero slayer, support slayer, summon slayer and usually devout slayer, though this slot changes if there are no devout foes to fight).

Khelle

I used to produce armors with regrowth for my heroes – it greatly increased their vitality throughout the game – but if I am correct regrowth has been taken away from forge so I am not sure if I would use it now as frequent as before.

Klydon

Seeker rocks for most heroes, even musket packing dreadnaughts.

After that, I usually go for fairy fire. Depending on opponents, I will also incorporate some specialized weaponry like shock damage if there are dreadnaughts around, etc. 2 channel damage shields are excellent as well, but I usually give them to my Theocrat/Wizard heroes only.

Healing and feast are good to add to any hero as well. (Feast helps heal your units faster between turns with a extra 15 healing).

Unfortunately, they got rid of the ability to make the goodwill shoes which was a favorite as well.

Some things in theory that would be good include resist items for a hero that intends to make use of Hellfire to push them up to 100% fire resist.

NuMetal

Seduce for everyone.

Why not Dominate?

SiaFu

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Nerdfish wrote:</div>
    Seduce for everyone.

Why not Dominate?

Maybe Nerdfish prefers the sound effect?

But seriously, Dominate carries a 8hp Spirit attack on fail so it’s quite possible to kill the unit you’ve been trying to convert. This offsets it’s Spirit 13 vs Seduce Spirit 11 needed to resist. Usually it’s better to Web, Entangle or immobilize the target and go for Seduce, damaging it every 5 turns with out-of- range and line of sight ranged troops.

Nevertheless, I usually go for Dominate. Then Healing, Entangle (it’s DEF 13 vs RES 11 of Freeze, Shock etc) in that order. Or Swim if I’m not playing a Sorcerer (where Extraordinary mount takes care of hero mobility).
    A bunch of Dominating, healing heroes with blitzing armies leaving garrisons of converted units in their wake keep the AI at bay.

Tireless “Boots of Gryphon Vigor” for tanky heroes, Life Steal + 2 Frost damage “BloodDrinker”, Seeker headgear if I find breath weapons (Garlic breath, Flamer chow etc.), otherwise I don’t bother.

The rest usually complements found items, but Useable items are a priority as they’re always useful, at least as hand-me-downs to new heroes that need leveling.
    Forging items is a great way to use high-production cities that are too far to produce armies and burn excess mana income.

Gloweye

Usually it’s better to Web, Entangle or immobilize the target and go for Seduce, damaging it every 5 turns with out-of- range and line of sight ranged troops.

Seduce doesn’t have a CD anymore, so that trick with waiting for it doesn’t work anymore.

NuMetal

Seduce doesn’t have a CD anymore, so that trick with waiting for it doesn’t work anymore.

Yep, I did abuse the shit out of the ability when that was still possible 😛

SiaFu

Do Dominate and Befriend animal still work on a cooldown, allowing converted units that retreat to remain under your control if you win the battle?

If Seduce is now 1/battle, what makes it different from Charm now that both work on Animals? AoW3 doesn’t differentiate units by gender like AoW2.
    I feel Nymphs are heading back to almost useless and Karissa’s perfume is even less “legendary”.

quo

Frost Aura, which is now available on shields, sounds very tempting for units who don’t use fire or ice attacks. For synergy, you can put Shatter Strike on a weapon (at a cost of only 1 pt!)

Weakening is VERY nice to have if you use a lot of Blight attacks.

I’m actually surprised to see Seduce and Dominate in there, as those abilities seem sorta… “proprietary” in that they make only very limited, specific appearances in the game, limited to some class defining units. Charm seems fine.

Gloweye

If Seduce is now 1/battle, what makes it different from Charm now that both work on Animals?

3 higher chance (around 15%)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.