What makes the frostlings balanced?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Update v1.5 – Open Beta Balance What makes the frostlings balanced?

This topic contains 50 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Fenraellis 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 31 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Author

Gyor

Mammoth is interesting, both powerful and UP at the same time, ehp vs physical is not cost effective , 40 % fire weak is harsh too… then wall crush / dev charge is pretty cool and 15dam is nothing to laugh at. Their regen is going to be a problem, forge priests could be decent support.

Mammoth riders with a Theocract will be epic, Order of the Templar for example, 20% spirit resistance and devout, plus Theocracts have a ton of healing, including White Witches and Ice Queens with Order of Healing, to help with the hp problem. Adding Shadowborn so you can build them with life stealing as well, helps to make the most of the high HPs.

Astraflame

Yup theo frostling should be great, first i thought about warlord but their regen will be a serious problem, theo healing and frost witch abundance sounds like a good plan.

Gloweye

Yup theo frostling should be great, first i thought about warlord but their regen will be a serious problem, theo healing and frost witch abundance sounds like a good plan.

Warlord isn’t bad either. Field Medic usually is enough for normal clearing. And White Witches cause a load of damage on most units, though they go really epicly with 3-shot heroes, as Grant Frozen Flames works on those ranged attacks. Try that with a Longbow…

ninninnin

oh a speculation thread my favorite

if anything about frostlings looks broken its royal guards and harpoon boys.
    frost witches seem to be terrifying on their own but with how fantastic martyrs are and immobilize on an archer with serious beef thanks to the military governance theyre gonna be very difficult to approach and blast away with their insane damage and chilling ability.

imagine if blight doctors didnt have to get right up in somebodys face to weaken them, didnt have to waste a turn doing something other than shooting and had martyrs with them at all times no matter what class they picked.
    its really the royal guards that let them do that. if goblins had one theyd be just as terrifying.

As always, the devil is in the details. Royal guards are actually fairly tricky to use correctly. Butchers life steal right away, whereas you need the upgrade for the guards. Even with it, they are fairly vulnerable to either arrows or fire damage supports/magic. Exploding means you have to be careful about placement, and that swap location allows for some interesting counters.

Its combat role is more a flanker than a mainline

vota dc

Not sure about that, but Frostlings get inflict frostbite as level 4 buff and royal guard already have that so it means the specific buff (+1 defense and life stealing) is the only one they benefit. Life steal from shadowborn specialization stack? Would be strange if goblins and frostlings are the “worst” shadowborn.
    Maybe goblins should have a pike specific boost, they always have been specialized in pikes and archers, they have already a specific boost for racial archer but for some reason they have two boosts for the untouchables.
    Harpooners with that +10 hp boost early game will be a nightmare I guess.

Fenraellis

Would be strange if goblins and frostlings are the “worst” shadowborn.

Having a unit or two(Butcher and Phalanx for Goblins) with Life Stealing hardly makes playing Shadowborn a bad option. It all depends on your particular strategy for a given game. Also, it does more easily open up taking the Economic option for Frostlings, if a player might not have otherwise(I like it quite a bit, personally).

Gyor

Imagine a Frostling Rogue with dark pact, you could have Royal Guards, Assassins, and Succubi with life stealing, another good reason to go Peace Keeper instead of Shadowborn.

Frostlings do well as all three, in fact. I tend to like the grey guard with them better, as you can always get healing from a class.

As for classes, it is really hard to pick a best fit because frostlings depend so much on mixed tactics. AD, for instance, love the white witch because they can swim with the hunter/animal stacks, and because the fast frost queen can be a true cavalry. On the other hand, it isn’t a good idea to outrun your royal guard.

Warlords boost a larger portion of the army, but have nothing for the white witch.

It is always true that elves and frostlings are friends. Mammoths and unicorn riders compliment each other, high elves have cheaper, non exploding pikemen, harpooners keep Things in place, and chilling makes high elf arrows even sharper.
    High elf hunters and white witches are probably the best battle match ever in most circumstances. Throw in arcane arrows for quad channel fun at sea.

The fact that elves are OK in the north also helps a lot.

Gyor

Even Frostling Dreadnaughts can build Frost Tanks, so at least they get something.

Not to mention double immobilize archers (harpooners and musketeers),with the ability to chill defense down and leader based fire protection.

Frostlings sorc probably has the best defense, at least after a frost and elf archer pairing.

ninninnin

Even Frostling Dreadnaughts can build Frost Tanks, so at least they get something.

is that true? must be why the research is produce “tank” instead of flame tank.

Gyor

Not to mention double immobilize archers (harpooners and musketeers),with the ability to chill defense down and leader based fire protection.

Frostlings sorc probably has the best defense, at least after a frost and elf archer pairing.

Just out of curiousity, did Frostling Bards get a Harpoon like I suggested?

Gloweye

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>chrysophylax páuperem wrote:</div>

Just out of curiousity, did Frostling Bards get a Harpoon like I suggested?

Bards not, but Monster Hunters do.

Gyor

I guess Frostling Bards got inflict Chilling instead and a small amount of Frost damage?

Fenraellis

Or Bards got nothing, and Assassins have Frost Weapons, their Succubi have Frost damage and Inflict Chilling(and have amazing synergy with Frostling T5 Military from gaining a fourth damage channel on Bane Fire from Dark Pact, and Frost Aura), and Shadow Stalkers with Frost damage and Inflicts are in a prime position to take advantage of Frostling’s Inflict Chilling and the Ice Queen’s Dome of Frost(lowers Frost Protection of adjacent units by 40%, as well as -1 Resistance stat).

Don’t worry, even without special Bards or Scoundrels, Frostlings and Rogues work out just fine.

Gyor

Well by Frostling Military 5 Frostling Bards will gain Frost Damage and Frost Aura, even if they don’t have any to start out with.

Fenraellis

Well by Frostling Military 5 Frostling Bards will gain Frost Damage and Frost Aura, even if they don’t have any to start out with.

Indeed…

Gyor

Also Frostling Bards can benifit from Pledge of Protection.

Gyor

Do Frostling Royal Guards that hit a Shrine of the Scarlet Destroyer explode twice when they die, first a frost explosion and then a fiery one?

Fenraellis

Do Frostling Royal Guards that hit a Shrine of the Scarlet Destroyer explode twice when they die, first a frost explosion and then a fiery one?

Probably?

It used to be that if you ran a Drone or Flame Tank(or Bomb Squad stack) over a Shrine of the Scarlet Destroyer, it would cause double explosions(I think only a single explosion graphic, though).

I never did the following, but I can only imagine what a Bomb Squad stack, running over a Shrine, then getting the Bloated with Gas modifier from Spontaneous Mutation, and having that unit die, would have done to some enemies… Or just a Drone/Flame Tank + Bomb Squad + Shrine for triple Explosive Death.
    (imagine that with the new Royal Guards, too!)

You can still mix different explosive death methods, though, so there is that.

Bomb Squad/Scarlet Destroyer + Royal Guard + Spontaneous Mutations(Bloated with Gas) = triple explosion.
    Bomb Squad/Scarlet Destroyer + Reaper(Void Explosion) is probably pretty devastating, too. Incorporeal units can’t be mutated, so no Bloated with Gas for them.

Viewing 21 posts - 31 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.