What racial T1/T2/T3 unit is best for defending cities?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions What racial T1/T2/T3 unit is best for defending cities?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Gloweye 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

notme

I know elf archers are very good, but what else?

NINJEW

in general supports. my money would be on white witches.

krissless

Draconian Flamer

Khelle

Elite Priests / Elite Storm Sisters

in general supports. my money would be on white witches.

This. On a sorcerer.

NINJEW

elders are pretty good too, they match WWs in raw damage and you don’t necessarily require multiples of them the same way you do WWs, though they’re more open to being hard countered.

really though the only racial support that isn’t really good at city defense is the brew brother

Naga units

Oddnerd

It depends on who is attacking your city, but generally supports are the best. If they are stationary then they will have a ranged attack with 3 shots and some pretty substantial magic/elemental damage (+range bonus for being at a wall). If your opponent is stupid or a computer, then draconian flamers will murder them when they cluster up at the gates.

If you are being attacked by wall climbers and flyers it is less straightforward. I typically have a couple polearm units to engage the flyers… or if I play warlord, Lions Courage + Last Stand can turn any meager unit into an anti-air machine.

NINJEW

If your opponent is stupid

honestly aoe is really good even pvp. forcing your opponent to spread out their units or eat an aoe generally makes them make way more mistakes and get put in disadvantagous positions often. to be honest every time i’ve tried to space my units out to avoid aoe i’ve always just shot myself in the foot more than i helped due to the poor positioning that spreading units out creates. flamers are still plenty effective vs competent players.

4x_fan

(I didn’t realize the thread title said “racial”)

I’m going to say Trebuchet.

Why?

Cheap. 150 gold, 0 mana.

Easy access.

Builder’s Hall > Siege Factory.

You want to build those 2 buildings early on anyway because they increase your production by 30 combined.

In most cases, you can build Trebs in 2 turns. If your town is really well-developed, you can even make them 1 turn.

They have long range, do solid damage on walls. They lose to flyers though or a lot of units that can deal fire ranged attack.

Ideally, Trebs with Nagas would be a very solid defence set-up.

Against the AI in campaigns, I usually stock up to at least 4 Trebs in a town for defence. It would take quite a big or powerful army to successfully siege that.

kevtro

Trebs don’t seem to be that great for defense for me.

Darters + blight doctors can be tough for non- nec and non- dread classes.

NINJEW

trebs are great on defense. they’re definitely not cheap though. 150 gold is most certainly not cheap, and neither is having to pay the t3 upkeep.

being on walls means that they have even longer range than normal while also being relatively safe from the threat of melee. they deal really good damage so it’s pretty sweet to have. the high upkeep means that it isn’t practical to use them as a garrison though

Gloweye

trebs are great on defense. they’re definitely not cheap though. 150 gold is most certainly not cheap, and neither is having to pay the t3 upkeep.

being on walls means that they have even longer range than normal while also being relatively safe from the threat of melee. they deal really good damage so it’s pretty sweet to have. the high upkeep means that it isn’t practical to use them as a garrison though

IMO, this basically means that they’re good, as long as you’re expecting an attack. Agree very much on the Gold.

Depending on the map, I may try to leave the cities in the back unguarded, and often no more than 2 archers for a city in a still low-risk area. Cities in high-risk area’s generally have some offensive armies close to reinforce them should the need arise. I rarely build just garrisons.

NINJEW

if you’re fighting an AD or rogue garrisons are necessary, though still no more than a full stack of t2s.

Nerdfish

Yup. Priests in general are awesome for defending cities.
    Trebs are all right.
    AFAIK there are no T3 archers. Even elves have a T3 flyer instead.
    if there are new races, I hope we get some.

4x_fan

Yup. Priests in general are awesome for defending cities.
    Trebs are all right.
    AFAIK there are no T3 archers. Even elves have a T3 flyer instead.
    if there are new races, I hope we get some.

Nightshade Fairy is the only T3 archer I know. It’s amazing, but hard to get.

Also, you guys are right about the Trebs being expensive. When I first said cheap I meant 150 gold, no mana, since I find a lot of heroes are quite draining on mana.

About twice the price of High Elf Longbowsman, these Trebs put in a lot of work in defending.

Even if you are being attacked in Melee, if you have a lot of Trebs you just flank them to disengage.

Like I said, it takes a really strong army to overcome 4 Trebs in a fortress.

Gloweye

About twice the price of High Elf Longbowsman,

yet 4x the upkeep. Now that’s an issue sometimes.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.