What's your best city so far?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions What's your best city so far?

This topic contains 19 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Hasbulat 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Yigg

I’m nearly 50 turns into an Orc Necromancer campaign, and one of my cities is turning out some extraordinarily deadly units, namely Black Knights and Shock Troopers. Within this city’s domain is a Crystal Tree (allowing Enchanted Armory +2 defense +`1 resist), a Corrupted Spring (mounted units get +2 blight damage and inflict noxious vulnerability), and a Castle of the Lich King (allowing Library of the Dark Arts -infantry, monster, and summoned units get Fear Strike!).

These Orcish Shock Troopers are just ferocious, I’m so happy with them I don’t want to fight with anything else.

What unique upgrades have you been able to build in the domain of a single city?

Once had a Dungeon, Crystal Tree, Castle of The Lich King nad a flowrock quarry all in one, was able to pump out extremely dangerous orc crusaders every turn.

Ericridge

I have a city with Dungeon + castle of the lich king.

I’m having it produce exactly 42 exalteds before I have those exalteds move away :p

Agent Fluff

I hope you dont have to fight a sorcerer with them. Anti fun perma stunning fest. My favorite would be any city with enchanted armory pumping out firstborn with meteoric armor.

Lord Yigg, how about a Vigor stable, though bred mount, governance upgraded orc black knights. lead by a warlord hero with defense/charge/attack spec. (that city also was my capital and had all 3 city upgrading empire quest boosts)

Bob5

I once had a city with Ziggurat, Ancient Library, and Forgotten Sanctum in the domain. Excellent support units came from there. Only missed the Spring of Life for my Frost Queens. Also once had two cities with both a Spring of Life and Vault of Knowledge for extreme Mounted Archer power. I also once had a city with two Halls of the Forefathers and a Castle of the Lich King for very powerful Yetis (double disable on bronze with Fear strike and freezing cold).

But my very best city was one with a Sunken City, 2 Forgotten Sanctums, Sphinx Temple, Ancient Ruins, Flowrock Quarry, a Crystal Tree, and a Harbor. Triple boost on Phalanx, Resurging Sirens, and Flowrock Galleons, all from the same city.

mormengil

I think one of the best I had was a frostling sorcerer city with altar of bound souls and megic academy. Boosted stats resurgence teleporting stunning and freezing Ice Queens. Nothing could stand up to that.

Last game I had a dwarven city with both a dungeon and a crystal tree, and enchanted with the shadowborn buff. Firstborn with magical (+2 def,+1 res) and meteoric armour, plus +2 damage and killing momentum. Add some lifestealing, +2 elec damage, +20 spirit protection and + 1 resistance from shadowborn. Oh my. Those Firstborn were tougher than a Tier 4 unit. 18/14 def res with no medal. At gold you have a monstrosity with 20 defence, 15 resistance, an attack doing 16 physical 4 fire 2 elec, 100% fire prot, 60 blight, 40 ice, 20 spirit, lifesteal, killing momentum, immune to armour piercing, fire aura, inflict immolation, and slower than molasses 😛

In that game, I also had a city with a crystal tree and flowrock quarry, also enchanted with embrace darkness. Golems with enchanted armour (+2 def,+1 res) and lifesteal and + 2 elec damage + 1 res.

Some games ago I had a high elven warlord city with both focus chamber and stables of vigor. Fun was had with mounted archers. In fact come arcane arrows, most of my armies were 6 mounted archers or 5 + hero. I could kill anything with them.

Of course these combos are not that practical most of the times, unless you luck out and get them in your first 2-3 cities. Otherwise by the time the buffed troops come in en masse usually the game is already decided.

Pre-expanions I managed to get a city with 2 Shrines, 4(!!) dungeons, a flowrock quarry, 3 magma forges, a heart and I think a great farm and some gold mines.

That thing pumped out armies very quickly.

Current game is less impressive, but I managed to have city with a spring, lich king castle, crystal tree and dungeon as necro, for though cavalry and monstrous deathbringers.

Yigg

I didn’t realize that having several of the same type of structure will allow bonuses to stack, that’s really cool. This does bring up a question though. If someone has, for example, 2 Sphinx Temples (pikemen get +2 defense and Blinding Aura) does the strength of the Blinding Aura increase along with the +4 to defense?

Some of these cities you all mention sound incredible, having multiples of the same structure would make some super-powered units!

ESCL

I was one hex away from having the Sphinx Tempel, Crystal Tree and Ancient Ruins in the same city for my Orc Phalanx. I was so disappointed…

Klydon

Kadaz Forge in the EL campaign is one of the best cities I have ever had in terms of the powerful units it could turn out.

Dwarven city with Forbidden Sanctum, Wizard tower, Dungeon, Ziggarut, along with a lost city and a forge thrown in for good measure.

On top of that, the city is well sited from a geographic standpoint of view with only narrow strips of land over lava pools available for enemies to approach it.

At this point, the Dwarven Meteoric armor was going as well.

Like Mormengil’s experience, the First Born units produced there were absolute beasts and I usually would do 3 First Born with 3 Priests and the results were pretty satisfactory. 🙂

Wallthing

I can’t say I’ve had any terribly impressive cities so far; either I end up as the wrong race and unwilling/unable to migrate or the city is perfect… for some other class.

I didn’t realize that having several of the same type of structure will allow bonuses to stack, that’s really cool. This does bring up a question though. If someone has, for example, 2 Sphinx Temples (pikemen get +2 defense and Blinding Aura) does the strength of the Blinding Aura increase along with the +4 to defense?

Some of these cities you all mention sound incredible, having multiples of the same structure would make some super-powered units!

You can only benefit once from each mystical city upgrade you construct. You get the extra production, happiness, gold, etc. from each treasure site, but the unit enhancements and defensive bonuses only apply once.

Yigg

That would make sense from a balance standpoint. Another question, for those of you who are seeing multiple rare spots within city range, what settings are you making for your random map? I’ve been sliding visit and treasure sites all the way to the right, but what else should I do?

They don’t stack, you can build the mystical city upgrade structure only once.
    The one city where I empathized multiple of some building was before MCUs and because they were mostly production sites, leading tot he city having a final production of about 380, which was enough to build any unit in 1 turn, and the two shrines give every stack sent to the frontlines additional buffs for their next battle.

Stormwind

My best city is the city I just took from my opponent.

Yigg

My best city is the city I just took from my opponent.

*holds up a beetle pincer* Claw Five!

Not the ‘best’ but I had a city with the maelstrom in domain, which gives irregular units water concealment.

I was playing Warlord.

That was fun, invisible Monster Hunters with death March meant I could strike pretty much with impunity.

NINJEW

One of the scenario maps included with Golden Realms has a city for every player, that has in its domain radius a Flowrock Quarry, an Enchanted Armory, and a Springs of Life

So, basically, Humans rule.

Fenraellis

Hmm… In the post release base game, I had a nice triple-Dungeon + Heart of the Arctic town that could one-turn produce Shadow Stalkers, which was crazy good for it at the time. It helped that my opponents were a Warlord and… something else that doesn’t resist Blight, since Shadow Stalkers still used Blight at the time.

The game was conceded by the enemy shortly after I cast Age of Deception. Of course, I believe Assassins were also still uber-badasses at the time(with innate Pass Wall and Sprint unranked) as well.

Heart of the Arctic + Heart of the Volcano combined in one city made some pretty beastly Elven Hunters as well in a different game around the same time.

I’m sure I’ve had a city post-EL with a Dungeon, Castle of the Lich King and Crystal Tree, plus a few assorted structures, to allow for one-turn T3 boosted Armored Infantry.

Somehow the awesome cities of the past have stuck with me, more, though. Since Hearts and raw Production output were the main things that made a city ‘amazing’, before Mystic Sites came around, and thus were more rare and exciting to get.

Hasbulat

Do we play different games?
    Sphinx Tempel, Crystal Tree, Ancient Ruins… who cares about such things? Its just lost time, gold and produktion.

The best city is a one with quick growing, lot of sites for mana, money and research. Just quick research to T4 and dont care about manufaktoring of troops.
    Mainly there are enough units to get from quests, unit tresures and indepemdents.
    Well, as druid I spawn as quick as possible 1-2-3 spiders, better the hunter one, for each group. Also shock snakes are good. And quick rich the queen size for them!

And you win aganinst every enemy without cristal trees.
    Quick expand, quick growing, quick research – thats all you need in this game.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.