Where did the Halflings go? Win Beta Access!

Weโ€™ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Where did the Halflings go? Win Beta Access!

This topic contains 111 replies, has 99 voices, and was last updated by  DevilDemon 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 91 through 112 (of 112 total)
  • Author

blindthrall

I just assumed the orcs ate them. That’s what always happened in my games.

jansubansu

The halflings were created be happy, care free folks. but since the happy care free days are gone, so are the halflings. i dont mean to sound depressing, but i really hope theocrat’s will save the day.

Didgedy

When the war with the Shadow Demons was at an end, the Halflings returned to their forests and their fields, continuing what they were doing before. However, during the war with the Shadow Demons, much of the world was devastated, the population had decreased by half, much of the land was claimed by all of the wizards, and a lot of resources used up to fight them. The Halflings had to adapt to these changes, pledging loyalty to many of the wizards. The Halflings had begun to live in every city, and soon they were very spread out among the world. They were used for manual labour, such as working the fields, the mines, and the mills. They were working hard, and hardly earning anything, due to their inferiour height, and soon they couldn’t afford to feed their families, so they had begun to die out, as they couldn’t raise a family. They had continued to live among the Goblins, as they were of the same height, and among the Elves, as they were kind, however, there weren’t many Halflings in the world, and they had raised families with their Elven/Goblin friends, and the children would then have children with Elves/Goblins, and so on. After all of this time, the Halflings had been integrated into different societies, and even today most Goblins/Elves have Halfling as their great great great grandparents, yet you can’t recognize the Halfling features, as they are minimal.

Here’s what happened:

They lost 100 pounds in 500 years preciousss.

PS: Images don’t work again?

zipaks

A tale of bravery

Once the the invasion of te evil races over the Halfling’s homeland, little is known after the orcs and goblins scorched their borders. While the elvenkind were dealing with the commonwealth the halflings were left to despair, enslaved by the opponents many halflings set sail in search for distant lands, others who were lucky found shelter on dwarves underground cities. Few resisted restlessly, many died, but their efforts counted for each dead. Eventually as they lost ground they were captured and used for forced work or sold as servants on some human cities. Nevertheless a prominent colony on an island where they traded with other races grew prestige for their leader (a pirate halflings who stole weed from goblin tropical islands).
    As part of the campaign, a few halfling sailors could offer their services to the player, if the player helps enough they can either restore parts of their mainland or the capital. It also opens a way for an expansion (dlc) for a merchant like class.
    In resume the halflings escaped to become pirates in a Jamaica like island, ther land became contested but on the long run they play an important role inspiring humans or elven to fight for hope. Small, resilient and tenacious the halflings will become a pivot on the battle of power.

Done, love this game since I was 12 or younger, can’t believe there will be a new one after 12 years!

Hach

Gemessence

Legend has it that in ancient times, when the world was new and universe was in its infancy, 7 magical gems were created, one for each magical aspect. Holder of but one exercised total control over gem domain.

Seeing that such power would be lethal in the wrong hands, the artisan who created the gems dispersed them through mortal planes since he could not or would not destroy his creation. Dispersed, the gems were eventually forgotten and slipped out of knowledge of man, elf or wizard. And so they lingered, waiting to be found…. until the shadow demon invasion, which changed everything. Due to massive usage of magic and overuse of certain spell as well as relative proximity to essence of Shadow Demons, the Gems were overcharged to the breaking point. Cracks appeared and the essence of magic started seeping out, with devastating results.

The disappearance of halflings happened only because of an unlucky halfling explorer stumbling onto one of the gems and getting himself erased. Gems then proceeded to annihilate every similar magic signature in an effort to stabilize them as a time saving measure. It failed with catastrophic consequences – the entire race erased from existence in a blink, and even worse, the cracks are still seeping magic out, poisoning both the magic and mortal planes alike.

nyarlathotep

After the big conundrum with the Shadow Demons, the hobbits were quite sick & tired of evey goddamn tourist who came into their Shires, marvelling at the “cute halflings” and “queer and joyfull” villages.

While at first the taverns & inns were delighted to cater for the big folk, it brought some unwanted side effects… biggest of all a drop in the availability of pipeweed and ale – which we know, the hobbits have a fondness for.
    Every Man & Elf suddenly wanted to buy this “rural” quality product, and not just in small quantities.

So the Council sat together, and there was decided that something must be done. They appointed a few sturdy and well traveled individuals to find a nice, forgotten corner of the realm, where they could live on their quiet life.

After a long wait, the last of their expeditions came back with the good news they found a place which seemed ideal, but there was a drawback. It lay far into the sea.

Disgruntled with the news, the Council had an other meeting. Nobody was all too keen on doing a big exodus over a large expanse of salty and unknown waters. But nonetheless, staying here & having to cope with all these big folks was not an option. So the hobbits did the bravest thing they ever had, and they built themselves a mighty fleet. One of their heroes had made good contacts with the Syrons, and he had secured a few forceships for the big trip. And thus, from one day upon an other, the total hobbit population disappeared from the world known to Man, leaving only their empty villages as a testament of what once was a thriving agricultural wonder.

Nobody was able to contact the hobbits, and nobody knows if they ever arrived…

But maybe we will in the firstcoming AoW3 expansion pack ๐Ÿ˜‰

RBruin

i cant write as good as in english my Dutch version would go far better.

the plot should have something about their Courage their little big feet their hunger for a bigger adventure in a far far away land. Leaving the stirred worlds behind and in search for their own home and their own adventure (they can Always come back ofcource stronger-> learned adventuric magic and many more tricks–> being the underdog)

bgzgames17

As the crew just went to the hobbit movie it is obvious what the halflings did….they sailed to the GREY HAVENS with the elves and there they exited existence from middle earth, i mean AOW 3!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ they are said to be stewards in the new land that was granted them by the elves.

ps. i love your guys games and i own all of them!! throw me a bone with the beta:) i’ll be buying your game regardless cuz i love what you all put out!! work hard and know you have a loyal follower!!!!

Tanchiro

I know its too late but: Powerful earth and water magics broke off the Halfling part of the Blessed Continent, creating an island. The reason why those magic users had this done can be creative (breaking up alliances, securing the void in trade, etc). The remaining Halflings on the Contintent either died off or mixed in breeding with other races. This island floated aimlessly until now.

Bingo bango. Bob’s your Uncle.

When the Shadow Demons were defeated, Halflings escaped with their allies, like Dwarves to the forests, but there was a trap made by goblins and orcs. Anyway Halflings were fighting very bravely but the dwarves wanted to conquer all the Age of Wonders world, and when the halflings were fighting in melee, the dwarves took they flame tank and then they burned some orcs and all the halflings. Goblins escaped before the flame tank burned them, because they’re fast, orcs had they enchanted weapon so they too. But the halflings, poor Halflings….

Anyway sorry for my english because I’m not as good as you in writing.

When the Shadow Demons were defeated, Halflings escaped with their allies, like Dwarves to the forest, but there was a trap made by goblins and orcs. Anyway Halflings were fighting very bravely but the dwarves wanted to conquer all the Age of Wonders world, and when the halflings were fighting in melee, the dwarves took they flame tank and then they burned some orcs and all the halflings. Goblins escaped before the flame tank burned them, because they’re fast, orcs had they enchanted weapon so they too. But the halflings, poor Halflings….

When the Shadow Demons were defeated, Halflings have escaped with their allies, like Dwarves to the forest, but there was a trap made by goblins and orcs. Anyway Halflings were fighting very bravely but the dwarves wanted to conquer all the Age of Wonders world, and when the halflings were fighting in melee, the dwarves took their flame tank and then they burned some orcs and all the halflings. Goblins escaped before the flame tank burned them, because they’re fast, orcs had they’re enchanted weapon so they too. But the halflings, poor Halflings….

Sorry for the three replies, but I’ve got slow internet and I clicked three times and I dont know how to delete it.

Brother JO

I don’t want to break your spirits guys but the competition is already over:

https://ageofwonders.com/merry-xmas-and-the-results-of-our-halfling-competition/

Kitsune

Beta Access? Looks like I’m late but who cares, because like every player here, I dare presume, I’ve been playing AoW since its first release more than a dozen years ago.

Very good question: So where are the halflings? I remember joking with my friends during our local LAN AoW series parties, and more than half of them were halfling jokes. So what do I think happened to them? Well, the jokes are still on them:

— from the journals of Timmy Noosepayper, chief journalist and editor of Tim’s Press.

They’ve never been particularly great at anything, you know? Not that I actually want to belittle my own kind (although the other races save the gobbos were doing so. The undead on the other hand seem to have no comments.) but I’ve seen them in the battles against the other forces, fighting alongside (half the time) soldiers of the other races. The humans scowl at our pikemen claiming that they were only half as effective as “other” pikemen. Our multitude of slingers were considered half as good according to the elves. Our cavalry had literally less than half the ferocity of the orcish counterparts, as I once heard some of them saying. The eagles were treated as only half a meal to the Draconians’ great wyrms. Oh wick, even our sheriffs did not escape scrutiny and I have heard rumours of the High Men saying that for such an esteemed Level 4 unit (I wonder what he meant by that by the way) it was worth only half their gold in combat.

About the only things positive which were mentioned were the skills of our highly trained assassins. In the previous wars, we were numerous! Master Ham was probably the only one of us whom the other races held any respect for but we were numerous indeed! But yet, look at where we are now. Our mighty armies shattered, our cities gone, our riverland homes blighted beyond hope. I remember another human cursing himself for having to fight alongside half an allied army. Such were our lot.

I’ve seen enough desolation to last a lifetime (or along the lines of what the other races are saying, half a lifetime) and the literal massacre of my race. Where are we to live now? I do not know, but deep in the riverland where we came from, the shattered sanctuary of the great Marinus remains. Perhaps we shall begin again from there. Start anew.

ffbj

Over the years there had explanations as to why the exodus of halflings occurred, with the discovery of Bingo Bobbins journal, sealed in an iron box and buried under a frozen bridge in the caverns of the forgotten, those questions can finally be laid to rest. The pertinent passages are quoted below.

In my tweens I was the first to see him. The crazy wandering magician we called Hee Haw, since he rode a donkey which incessantly brayed his arrival and presence. Perhaps we should have understood the donkeys displease as a warning that Hee Haw, the mage was not to be trusted. But his smoking weed was very good and he happily shared the seeds of his famous smoke. In fact bags upon bags of these seeds were delivered over the years at a fair price, so when Hee Haw did show up everyone was happy to see him.
    Until one year near the time of the harvest festival when the leaf was being harvested, a strange rumbling was heard approaching the village. Panicked birds filled the sky and local dogs starting barking…then came the bells ringing alarms as the ground began to shake with ferocity and the loud trumpeting of elephants echoed across the tobacco fields and into the town. It was an elephant stampede and the slaughter was horrific. I watched from the trees above town the elephants rampaging through the fields with Hee Haw the mage riding the lead monster as they trampled everything, the tobacco, which they had been trained from birth to detect and destroy drove them mad with rage.
    We learned this later of course, but no halfling could stand the memory of the place or the land, nor trust any non-halfling again, and so we left.

ffbj

Over the years there had explanations as to why the exodus of halflings occurred, with the discovery of Bingo Bobbins journal, sealed in an iron box and buried under a frozen bridge in the caverns of the forgotten, those questions can finally be laid to rest. The pertinent passages are quoted below.

In my tweens I was the first to see him. The crazy wandering magician we called Hee Haw, since he rode a donkey which incessantly brayed his arrival and presence. Perhaps we should have understood the donkeys displeasure as a warning that Hee Haw, the mage was not to be trusted. But his smoking weed was very good and he happily shared the seeds of his famous smoke. In fact bags upon bags of these seeds were delivered over the years at a fair price, so when Hee Haw did show up everyone was happy to see him.
    Until one year near the time of the harvest festival when the leaf was being harvested, a strange rumbling was heard approaching the village. Panicked birds filled the sky and local dogs starting barking…then came the bells ringing alarms as the ground began to shake with ferocity and the loud trumpeting of elephants echoed across the tobacco fields and into the town. It was an elephant stampede and the slaughter was horrific. I watched from the trees above town the elephants rampaging through the fields with Hee Haw the mage riding the lead monster as they trampled everything, the tobacco, which they had been trained from birth to detect and destroy drove them mad with rage.
    We learned this later of course, but no halfling could stand the memory of the place or the land, nor trust any non-halfling again, and so we left.

Jorlox

The competition may be over, but I had a nice idea for something to post and as a long time roleplayer I couldn’t resist contributing so, here goes:

In the blighted valley, one structure remained… refused to die.
    The tower pierced the clouds and cast its dominating shadow over the rubble that had now become so engrained in the landscape, as if it was supposed to be buried… Supposed to be left alone.

At the top, there was a figure.
    A prisoner, A prisoner to madness.
    He circled a table, on it was a map of the known world. He ran a finger across it and sketched a triangle into the dust with his glove.
    Even his own shadow tailed him with caution as he walked with doom in his wake and determination in his eyes.

He glanced up as the sky ejected a vicious storm, impacting into the landscape with such force that it seemed as though even nature (or what was left of it) was unsettled.
    It was time. With a sneer, and in a hushed tone, he uttered the words “Where did the Halflings go?” and they fell like silent doom upon all ears.

The world fell silent. It was almost as if the whole world stopped, just for a moment, perhaps to mourn… or simply to recognise.
    Some of particularly weak will murmured the phrase in the wake of mass extinction.
    The figure glanced at the map for one last time, his demented look turned to a frown as he remarked on his work… “Your fate… is a kindness”.

From then on, few remembered… And fewer still deserved to.
    To this few, the destructive potential of humanity was truly realized. …but pure madness is a disease. And it corrupts.

*End*

Thanks!
    That’s just my interpretation of the phrase and I think it fits in well with the story behind the Commonwealth and High-elf struggles but once again this is just my view.

Low_K

Edit Double post

Low_K

Fluff is always good, even when the game goes gold soon and still make a stab to late-beta access. Thanks Thread-o-mancer Jorlox ๐Ÿ˜‰

The Halflings were forced to work in the mines beneath their homesteads, when the Goblin King Tombles gave the Halfling homesteads to his Goblin Queen Tibbles as a gift of his undying love.

They work there, shackled and hungry, mining the precious materials found deep in the ground. Then one of them saw something glistening in the darkness. Something gold which whispered his name in a ghostly voice. The Halfling dug it out and found a golden ring which he could maybe use to barter with the Goblin King. And so he did. He was last seen travelling north, towards the ice wastes where the rumoured Frostling race resides…

The Goblin King, with his Goblin minions, stayed in the homesteads and rule the Halflings with an fleshy fist. Soon the Halflings were forgotten, even when Lord Leonard Sax and Baron Aronovan Wing’Erden, High Lords of the Council of Triumphant Phoenixes, came to visit the now Goblin lands.

Kind regards,

Low

Edit:Spelling

ForeVision

The Halflings are actually in charge of the Commonwealth, using their large mercantile knowledge to control the cash flow of the current world. Ol’ Marinus took up more lucrative business as a rogue and is in charge of the operation from the shadows.

DevilDemon

i agree with JeanLucPicard

it just turn in a golum for a 1000 years ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 22 posts - 91 through 112 (of 112 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.