Which races will be involved

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Which races will be involved

This topic contains 58 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Tomipapa 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • Author

BeastFeast

Will Azarac empire rise from sands of time again? Shall Lizardmen come ot from swamps and Jungles and take weapons of War? Will Shadow Demons and Syrons wage his war again? Are now Humans ( Commonwealth Empire) or sub Faction ? Join the Court of the High Elves, are they (Hihgmen of Arcons) now?  Reunion of the Dark Elves and Wood Elves? ? ?

OPTIMO

Does the Empire resemble the Roman Empire? These wonderful architectures

Calmar

After being thought to be destroyed in AoW2, the Azrac basically returned as the Nomads. I guess if they settle down and start building monuments again, we might have a new Azrac empire.

From what I understand, the exact nature of the factions will depend upon the player (the website says you can now customise your faction and play good Goblins, for example). I assume you can therefore play the humans in many different ways, the example of the Commonwealth Empire maybe being only one option. Maybe there now even are different sub-factions, allowing different players to play as humans. 🙂

In Shadow Magic, Julia and Meandor joined forces to defeat the Shadow Demons. Continuing their feud afterwards would be wierd to me; it’s not the times after the fall of Inioch’s court any more.

vpalmer

and is diplomacy and race relations still here, if we now have possibility customize our nation even in way of have goblin angels? goblin angels so disturbing to high fantasy style feeling about that imo – why special unit for theocratic Kingdom must be only “Angel” why it can not be, for example. some “great swamp monster/wurm” or other form of presentation of greenskin god’s servant ?

vaclav_med

vpalmer

I would like to join my voice to this… I hope that all this customisation won’t cost us independent races and race relations imho one of the most original and appealing things in AOW series when you started with one race and ended with a completely oposing one after basically selling your people out and migrating all the stuff… That was so neat…

Also The migrate (or change race) function of AOW series should stay put in another distinctive thing…

All these things make the world come alive, not lifelike modeled trees and waterstreams…

(That’s why I always found the AOW1 world more alive than it’s succesor – the races and their racism and how hard it was to deal with them sometimes)

Arrrthritis

Honestly, so long as Frostlings are involved I will be one happy camper.

Inlaa

I have to admit, I’m dreadfully curious about what races are making a comeback.  I was very depressed when the Lizardfolk were axed from #2 (and, of course, I had an illogical disdain for the Draconians because of it).  I keep worrying that my favorite race, the halflings, will disappear from this game due to the fact that shorter races aren’t very popular, usually.

Do we know what races are confirmed?  Do we know what races are NOT making a comeback?

Calmar

Yeah, I also missed the Lizardmen. And the giant frogs. 😀

If I’m not mistaken, I once read on another forum that the Halflings are Ray Bingham’s favourite race. That should vastly improve their odds to be in the game.

Inlaa

God, I hope so.  I want to play a Halfling warlord and make the world regret ever making fun of my people’s ponies…

…death to the longshanks.  DEATH TO THE LONGSHANKS!

Calmar

You’re not alone, Inlaa. The Orcs are also really keen on the Halflings… 😀

LegioIX

It would be good to know about the number of races at least. Any devs around? 😉

Satyr

The halflings are my favorite race by far.  Hopefully, they remain a choice and part of AOW3.

bam65

It would be good to know about the number of races at least. Any devs around?

It’s been mentioned that there’s going to be six races…supposedly.

Calmar

Seems fair to assume that we have: Humans, Elves, Dark Elves, Goblins, Undead, Orcs. That’s six

– unless the Dark Elves were absorbed into the High Elves, or Dark Elf units are available to Warlord Elves.

What do you folks think?

Arrrthritis

Well it’s already been said that elves + Dark elves are going to be one unified race. Undead I think would exist as a specialization of Theocrat (On one hand you could have goblin angels, on the other, goblin zombies!). Orcs & Goblins could also exist as a unified race, as well.

So really that’s only three/four races. The other two are anybody’s guess (Maybe a confederation of stunties consisting of frostlings + dwarves + halflings?)

Draxynnic

Is there anything that actually says that the high elves and dark elves are a united race mechanically speaking? Or is it just that they’ve made nice with each other and are now part of the same story faction (the Court)?

They are separate things, after all, and it’s likely that each of the factions will have multiple races in it, even to start off with. I’m not digging in my heels and saying “Clearly these two must be separate!”, but I would like to know if there’s anything that says that there definitely aren’t separate dark and wood elf factions, or whether it’s because people are assuming that because they’re both under the banner of the Court of the High Elves faction.

Wakah-Chan

Who said about 6 races?

In the screens and trailer I saw:

1) Elves (elven city and probably some elven cavalry);

2) Dwarves (saw at least three units in the trailer: pikemen, musketmen and rune masters plus there are things looking like ogres which also fight on the dwarves’ side in the video) ;

3) Archons, who are turned undead now (saw 4 different units on the screenshot: archers, swordsmen, something looking like spellcasters, titan);

4) Humans (Siege and spider camp screenshots: horsmen, halberdiers, crossbowmen, some sort of spellcasters);

5) Goblins (the nefarious goblin angel and gobline axeman from the Christmas puzzle + goblin mission in campaign confirmed by devs);

6) Orcs (the archdruid is clearly an orc).

And i don`t think that such iconic races as undead will be kicked out. So it looks like more than 6 races, which is good 🙂

Calmar

I hope so. I’d really miss Halflings, Frostlings, Dwarves and the other races.

The “problem” such as it is, is that every race as depicted in the AoW series can make a case for being pretty iconic, except for Syrons and Shadow Demons. By which I mean every race has something, usually the lvl4 unit, that marks it out as distinct- Berserkers, Warlords, Incarnates, Air Galleys, Reapers etc- so much so that I honestly hope they make it in, and I hope we don’t get too much confederating (which must be a new word) of races (amalgamating).

I can see number of races being closer to 10.3 good races:high elves, dwarfs,haflings 3 evil races:goblins,orcs and  possibly undead , 3 neutral races:humans and other two possibly frostlings and hopefully lizardmen 😀

Also what about DLC? it could bring those races who were left.

Steven Aus

I would prefer not too much break-up of the player base – if there are 5 or 6 DLC races, that would make it hard to find people to play with.  I would probably prefer a larger expansion pack or mega-DLC rather than a race here and a race there. 😉

LegioIX

Real fans who plan to play MP games would buy cheap DLC packs anyway. I am not against DLCs.

Steven Aus

Heh, that would be very interesting. =)  A short person for every climate.  (Although I have nothing against short people. ;-))

Tomipapa

From AoW 2 heaven:

Narvek:

As for when we will announce all races… well, no idea really, but there will be less (to begin with!) than in the previous games.

Thats not a problem for me they can add more with dlc or expansion

Steven Aus

Real fans will buy any product if the opportunity cost is low and the quality is high.  Including me. 🙂 Preference is different to won’t buy at any price. 🙂 😉

LegioIX

I think that we live in the age of DLCs anyway…nowadays having no DLCs for a game is weird, not vice versa…agreed? ^^

Steven Aus

Yes, definitely!  Sometimes that is how we deal with something we would prefer otherwise, we make the comment, then get on with life.  Rather than fester, we progress!  Although keep an eye out for those undead-raising theocrats. 😉

Brother JO

I would rather have new races in an expansion rather than in DLC.But I would like to see DLC which gives unique modelled heroes,new artifacts, more customization options etc.  Not everybody buys DLC so if there will be race DLC’s those might screw up the multiplayer.

Arrrthritis

Not necessarily! I don’t know if you’ve been following Crusader Kings 2, but they’ve managed to handle the vast amounts of DLC for that game pretty splendidly. So long as they have the host enable which DLCs they want to have activated, the game should have no problem syncing all the players together.

I think Civilization 5 did the same thing, and they had a very similar model to downloadable content.

Not gonna lie, I would shell out a good $5 for a race every time Triumph comes out with one.

E: Cosmetic stuff applies here as well, but that’s a matter of it only showing up for the host, rather than everyone needing to buy it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.