Why do the Halflings have really 2 archers?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Why do the Halflings have really 2 archers?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  jakjak 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

11balanced11

Since t-1 ‘irregular’ unit has 3 shots. This 1) makes them advantaged 2) brings asymmerty because no other race has such irregulars. Why?

madmac

Because:

1) It’s more fun that way.

2) Asymmetry owns bones.

11balanced11

1) I don’t see ‘more fun’ if one race doesn’t need to built barracks to have full scale ranged units.

2) Doubtful ) If all races had such specifics, than OK. But they are just uniform in that sense.

3) And moreover – Halfling Slingers simply don’t correspond their unit type – it’s like swordsman being marked as ‘support unit’.

madmac

Meh. It’s not unbalanced, and both are fun units. Who cares if it doesn’t fit perfectly in a square box? “This thing is not the same as this other thing!” is not an argument.

as an irregular, they can’t benefit from archer specific upgrades or the shooting range, so it works. They are also quite expensive, although otherwise excellent.

irregular just means “not heavy or regular” for soldiers.

b0rsuk

Are the slingers generally on par with other Archer units, or noticeably weaker like other Irregulars ?

terrahero

Are the slingers generally on par with other Archer units, or noticeably weaker like other Irregulars ?

Purely on damage alone, they are fairly competitive. A human archer has 8dmg, the halfling has 7, but with monster/animal slayer that becomes 10 against certain enemies.

But im not sure on other stats like defense/resistance/hp (altough the archer doesnt have to much of those either).
    And as mentioned the Halfling wont benefit from the Shooting Range, and i assume when they rank up the halfling gets some points towards melee while the dedicated archer only upgrades in ranged attack.

Gloweye

typically, the irregulars and archers have simliar melee stats.

Dont forget that while weaker than normal archers, their own archer is only single shot, and will never reach the same damage potential that other archers will, also due to level up bonusses only allying once instead of thrice. The slinger helps compensate for that.

Ravenholme

typically, the irregulars and archers have simliar melee stats.

Dont forget that while weaker than normal archers, their own archer is only single shot, and will never reach the same damage potential that other archers will, also due to level up bonusses only allying once instead of thrice. The slinger helps compensate for that.

Halflings in general seem to have a -1 Melee strength modified (going by the Tome of Wonders), alongside their 20% Physical weakness, I reckon it probably balances out.

Draxynnic

Correct. A halfling army can fight in melee, but they need their ranged options to set up favourable matches rather than simply charging in. This is partly where the Jesters shine, in fact – dazzling enemy troops to deny them retaliations gives the halfling melee troops more opportunities to act without feeling the pain.

To an extent, what’s happened with halflings is that the jesters and adventurers have essentially switched roles – the adventurers are the relatively static ranged shooters, while the jesters have the capability to move at full speed and shoot normally seen on irregulars. Of the two, jesters are the more powerful, so adventurers get knocked down to irregular, even though they typically act more like archers.

It also has something of an effect of letting halflings get a unit a little earlier than normal, which harkens somewhat back to AoW1 and getting pony riders from level 1 cities – except now it’d getting what is effectively a budget archer from a city without military infrastructure instead.

Can anyone give me some notes on the eagle rider? I saw the trailer clip on the halfling where the eagle rider had some blue icon thing, so I was wondering what abilities and stats it has.

Ravenholme

Can anyone give me some notes on the eagle rider? I saw the trailed clip on the halfling where the eagle rider had some blue icon thing, so I was wondering what abilities and stats it has.

In Tactical Combat? It gets an ability called Wing Beat (that has a 2? turn cooldown) where it attacks the three hexes in an arc in front of it. The front hex and the hex to the front left and front right.

depends. when clearing/fighting monsters and such, they are just as good (although squishier). Against normal troops, they are a little worse.

FrankA

I think one reason that Halflings should have more and better ranged units is that their melee attacks are weaker and they have less HP. Once hand to hand combat is engaged they are at a distinct disadvantage (IMHO anyway).

Frank

freese2112

Because:

1) It’s more fun that way.

2) Asymmetry owns bones.

100% agree with this.

The other thing that is pretty slick with them being Irregulars it that it stacks really well with the “Explorer” specialization. Being able to get +1 vision range, +8 MP, and a bunch of mobility advantages would be really nice.

jakjak

Fire works feel very good for balance it kinda bridges the gap between flamers and other ranged units throw cleaver seems very very nice though by the time I built it I had extra ranged damage on my hero but we will see how it works out id probably like it more if it got a ranged penalty at 2 squares instead of 3 along with its shortend range in general because I just used something else until I got close enough then switched to cleavers it would vary it some more I built these items in the arcane item forge I havent played as a halfling

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.