Why was the cost of the t3 racial building increased?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Why was the cost of the t3 racial building increased?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  vyolin 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Diair

From the patchnotes: “Increased cost of racial tier 3 unit building to 300 gold and 100 mana.”

Why was this necessary? I might be off here, but I’ve been reading these forums since release and there haven’t really been many people complaining about t3 units.

With the racial t3 being increased in cost, wouldn’t this further remove incentive for building this in cities over the class building?

Ice Age

This was done to balance the increase of the research costs for high lvl techs, which in turn was increased to delay the T4s.
    Since the new research cost is influencing the class T3s and delaying them, there was a need to delay the racial T3s as well, otherwise they would have been available much too early, rendering the class T1s and T2s obsolete.

Erwin

There were situations where people were rushing dwarven firstborns way too early and easy.

Diair

Ah, that makes sense, thanks!

LordBlade

T1 and T2 units are obsolete anyway. :p

Sugar Rush

Unless it has an Elven longbow.

vyolin

Those longbows… I would really like them to be reduced to 2 attacks instead of 3. There is simply no reason to settle for anything less than a longbow right now.
    Does anyone have a nice compilation of all the different weapon types? If I recall correctly the heavy crossbow is another offender – a straight up upgrade over the small crossbow.

Those longbows… I would really like them to be reduced to 2 attacks instead of 3. There is simply no reason to settle for anything less than a longbow right now.
    Does anyone have a nice compilation of all the different weapon types? If I recall correctly the heavy crossbow is another offender – a straight up upgrade over the small crossbow.

These aren’t “offenders,” they’re racial flair and it’s good for the game.
    Goblin Darters – Shoot seeking bugs, ignore range and LoS penalty
    Elf Longbow – Ignore range penalty
    Dwarf Heavy Crossbow – VERY short range for damage, but shoots with only 1 AP. (Meaning you can move as far as you want for full damage assuming range.) Honestly this isn’t an issue because it means you’re moving your archers to very close range.

azman

You know there’s a problem with balance when 3/4’s of the units in the game a obsolete, and useless, lol.

Telenil

Elf Longbow – Ignore range penalty<br>

And deals 2 more damage per shot than the human archer. Give them gold medals, and I feel they shoot grenades instead of arrows. They kill almost any T1 unit in one turn.

vota dc

Those longbows… I would really like them to be reduced to 2 attacks instead of 3. There is simply no reason to settle for anything less than a longbow right now.<br>

Orcs 6 X 3 with chances of bleeding (4 for 2 turns)
    Dwarves 16 X 1
    Elves 9 X 3
    Humans 8 X 3
    Goblins 3ph 4bl X 3
    Draconians 4ph 8fi X 1

Some examples (no flanking or guard mode)
    Against Greatsword/Impaler/Longsword/Halberdier
    Orcs 18 Dwarves 16 Elves 27 Humans 24 Goblins 27 Draconians 14
    Against an Orc Razorbow/Orc Scoundrel
    Orcs 24 Dwarves 18 Elves 33 Humans 30 Goblins 36 Draconians 17
    Against an Orc Spearman
    Orc 18 Dwarves 16 Elves 27 Humans 24 Goblins 30 Draconians 15
    Against Archer/Civic Guard
    Orcs 21 Dwarves 17 Elves 30 Humans 27 Goblins 30 Draconians 15

CaptainChaos

I dk AOW seemed so balanced with high powerful and lower level units. What happened here?

vyolin

I do not have a problem with longbows, heavy crossbows, swarm darters. I have a problem with the normal bows, small crossbows, blowdarts – because they are simply inferior to the first mentioned alternatives without anything going for them.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.