why would i ever want to build halfling nightwatches?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions why would i ever want to build halfling nightwatches?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 19 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Hunter 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

NINJEW

someone please explain to me the circumstances under which this unit is worth the time and gold

Ericridge

Pray tell what is exactly wrong with it?

I had three halfling nightwatches that managed to defeat four naga slithers in manual combat once. Very skillful use of them against the AI it was.

NINJEW

i don’t know i’ve never actually used them, hence my question

what are they good at? what are effective strategies involving them?

cbower

They are good at being cheap and dying when and where I need them so other’s may live. Or getting lucky. But mostly, no I don’t build them

Ericridge

i don’t know i’ve never actually used them, hence my question

what are they good at? what are effective strategies involving them?

They have urban concealment. Shield. And gains backstab one elite.

You use them like any other tier 1 shield infantry but with more care due to 20% physical weakness.

And due to urban concealment you can hide a stack of them on goldmine and then they can reinforce and screw over the opponent due to your bigger than expected army.

Windscion

Mostly, it is the only racial infantry unit they have. Which means it can climb walls, which pikemen / farmers cannot do. And it can still screen more valuable units, even if it tends to die in the process.

In other words, you build it because you don’t have better available.

Hunter

…and they are armoured, so if you have a crystal tree armoury, they get some decent armour levels going.

Jolly Joker

Is this yet another concealed cry for a buff?

NINJEW

not particularly? i’m just wondering if they had a use. sadly, sounds like their main use is “garbage that you have no option to take” though urban concealment shenanigans do sound like fun

i hadn’t thought of putting a stack of them on a goldmine, that’s pretty funny and cool. i like that idea

Prodigal Sun

I like placing them on cities/ watchtowers/ fortresses. That’s their use in my eyes.

It allows me to snipe a few scouts every game.

vota dc

You can produce them with 14 attack and defense early game if you get medal building + armory + patron military.

Ultimatum

someone please explain to me the circumstances under which this unit is worth the time and gold

When you can’t build halfling ponies obviously

Akinaba

Early and hidden protection of cities/buffing your garrison unexpectedly. Potentially they are good at hiding in structures and harrasing the enemy army or scout units combining with the guirella tactics. However I never used them that way…

Something needs to be in front of adventurers. Otherwise, concealed garrisoning is useful.

Hasbulat

There is absolutly no sence to build them.
    But you dont have to build each unit the game offers to you.

Its just a ballast. Absolutely useless unit. But, at the very beginning they can be usefull, becouse you simply dont have enough (stronger) units in the army.
    Usually, I place them at my cities, just becouse bandits mainly doesnt attak cities with any unit inside, doesnot matter, how weak it is.

Absolutely useless unit. But, at the very beginning they can be usefu

that basically says that they are NOT useless….

Hasbulat

That’s true. But you understood, I mean useless in point of build them, what I never do. It is just possible to utilize everything we get.

Zaskow

Give them backstab from rookie and unit will shine.
    Or very lucky. *moar Very lucky to halflings!*

Fluks

I like them as they are, backstab a little earlier wouldn’t hurt. But as prodigal sun said, with their building concealment and forestry they are quite handy early scout counters. So they fill a nice niche. I don’t think they need a buff. Of course they don’t fill their role as early meatshield/frontline blocking as good as most other early infantry units, but I enjoy that different races require a slightly different playstyle.

Hunter

This thread has convinced me to run my next game as Halfling and spam Nightwatches as my main troops 😉

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.