[Finished] Unit Variety Re-Skin (Downloads in OP)

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Modding and Map Making [Finished] Unit Variety Re-Skin (Downloads in OP)

This topic contains 261 replies, has 41 voices, and was last updated by  catsnffer 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 262 total)
  • Author

Gloweye

Yeah, definitely an improvement for those dracs.

Teehon

You know what could be amazing? If you change some textures for machines. What I mean is adding elements and changing textures so dwarven-made cannon looks different than human-made. The reasoning is, Dred high-level armies look EXACTLY the same no matter what race you might be playing.

Any chance you’d be interested?

Tibbles

I was planning on changing machines at some point, I’ve still got so many units to do thou gh xD

Zaskow

I was planning on changing machines at some point, I’ve still got so many units to do thou gh xD

Maybe, I can help? At least you could concentrate on retexturing, while I could do rest of work. You also can use my finished re-equip packs (Warlord, Theo) on request.

Teehon

You guys are working on the same thing, cooperation is always good!

Taykor

I mean is adding elements and changing textures so dwarven-made cannon looks different than human-made. The reasoning is, Dred high-level armies look EXACTLY the same no matter what race you might be playing.

Ehm. That’s because dread high-level armies are exactly the same. There’s only one cannon, one landship, two tanks and two golems. To make them look different it’s necessary to create full set of machines for each race.

Teehon

I mean is adding elements and changing textures so dwarven-made cannon looks different than human-made. The reasoning is, Dred high-level armies look EXACTLY the same no matter what race you might be playing.

Ehm. That’s because dread high-level armies are exactly the same. There’s only one cannon, one landship, two tanks and two golems. To make them look different it’s necessary to create full set of machines for each race.

Yes, but that’s not that I meant. It’s possible to add racial prefix to the machines as well (Human Cannon, Orc Golem etc), they can simply work as other class+race units. In this case some bonuses will be better than the others, but there is workaround – for example making Dwarf machines have 1 Def and Res less than others and cost 10% less, then in the end they will be the same.

Gloweye

Yes, but that’s not that I meant. It’s possible to add racial prefix to the machines as well (Human Cannon, Orc Golem etc), they can simply work as other class+race units. In this case some bonuses will be better than the others, but there is workaround – for example making Dwarf machines have 1 Def and Res less than others and cost 10% less, then in the end they will be the same.

Sounds like a lot of work for little gain?

after all, i can’t think of a good reason why goblin and orc cannons would look that different, aside from one of them being loaded with bombers..

Zaskow

Sounds like a lot of work for little gain?

As all modding is. 🙂

after all, i can’t think of a good reason why goblin and orc cannons would look that different, aside from one of them being loaded with bombers..

Different tech culture. Chinese AK-47 will be not the same as Russian AK-47.

Tibbles

@zaskow, thanks for the offer, I’ll definitely look at your mods for inspiration if I get stuck. And all feedback is appreciated of course
    I like doing it myself though 🙂

Succubi are done, finally!

View post on imgur.com

Heres a comparison to see what a nightmare it was to make look decent 😛

View post on imgur.com

I’ll update the mod as soon as I have the icons done.

Teehon

……

Wow, wow… Just look at the guys and their cities. They definitely do and build things REALLY differently.

What I find a good take on war machines is warhammer, take a look:

https://cdnArray.bigcommerce.com/serverArrayArrayArrayArray/5frid6tArray/product_images/uploaded_images/skaven-miniatures-warhammer-fantasy.jpgskaven

Zaskow

Heres a comparison to see what a nightmare it was to make look decent

These horns are repeat too much, imao. Why you don’t use some from SKIN_HERO_HAIR0_Draconian?

Taykor

Heres a comparison to see what a nightmare it was to make look decent

So much better! And no more flowers on wings. =)

These horns are repeat too much, imao.

Before there was only one type, now there are about three.

Tombles
    Keymaster

Goblin Succubus, sexiest succubus :3

ESCL

Wow, I can actually see some of them accomplishing their goals of seducing someone now – especially the high elf, goblin and frostling ones. Are you sure the original human model doesn’t require some of your love as well?

Tibbles

Humans were also fixed, you can see them in the first image with their red velvet wings :3

They didn’t fit in the 4×2 comparison template

Gloweye

really looking very good…

Goblin Succubus, sexiest succubus :3

Agreed, I can’t decide whether the goblin or dwarf looks the best, both are so … Inspired! Great work tibbles the cat!

Tibbles

Moving on to Warlord territory

View post on imgur.com

Teehon

Awesome!! “Before” pic please 🙂

Tibbles

Zaskow

Hmm.
    You left Humans unchanged. Why? Give them longswords at least.
    Claws (wrist blades) is more thematic for tigrans, imao.
    Dwarves could use some kind of hammers (ritual hammers from dwarves skins or from giant skins) or just 2 axes.
    Cleavers for halfling look not very good. Enlarge them or at least give them sabers.

Ravenholme

Hmm.
    You left Humans unchanged. Why? Give them longswords at least.
    Claws (wrist blades) is more thematic for tigrans, imao.
    Dwarves could use some kind of hammers (ritual hammers from dwarves skins or from giant skins) or just 2 axes.
    Cleavers for halfling look not very good. Enlarge them or at least give them sabers.

Going to disagree with most of this, actually, since you have to consider what is thematically appropriate for the race AND the unit/archtetype. The only one I agree with is that Humans could use the Longsword, as it is about as close as we’ll get to a Claymore (Which would be very appropriate for a berserker).

Dwarves using a giant axe is fine, but two axes would also be grand. I don’t see a hammer as a “Berserker” kind of weapon.

Gloweye

Dwarves with two axes for nostalgical reasons?

Teehon

I agree – two axes for dwarves is kinda mandatory. Too bad we can’t make mixed squads – some with 2H, some with 2 weapons.

And cleavers are kinda ranged weapon for Halflings – better to use sabers.

Tibbles

Yeah I agree with the double axes for Dwarf, bit of a shame after the texture I made for the weapon, but I was taught with the “Kill your darlings” method 😛

I don’t see sabers on a Berserker to be honest, Cleavers make more sense to me.

I’ll have a look at the longsword for Humans

Tibbles

Too bad we can’t make mixed squads – some with 2H, some with 2 weapons.

Hmm, isnt this done for Cadavers and Lost Souls though?… I’ll look into it

Thariorn

You can set additional unit figures to appear in tacitcal combat/as strategic map model/in unit stat screen in the unit entity.

Dunno if the Lost Souls/Cadavers use this, but that’s a working way to mix up unit visualisation

Tibbles

Yeah I just had a look and the additional figure thing is easy to do and nifty, I’m just worried it will be too much work to add that to all units 😛

Gloweye

Too bad we can’t make mixed squads – some with 2H, some with 2 weapons.

It’s not that hard, those two are great examples to learn from.

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 262 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.