[Finished] Racial Heritage Mod

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Modding and Map Making [Finished] Racial Heritage Mod

This topic contains 66 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  HjAa 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • Author

Eomolch

This mod aims to add subfactions to each race, one for good and one for evil alignment (production isn’t tied to alignment though). This includes 4 new units (2 per subfaction) which are unlocked in separate and mutual exclusive building chains that give some additional boni for certain units or the city itself.

Building chains generally look like this:
    – 1st subfaction building: general city boni, no building needed
    – 2nd subfaction building: unlock 1st subfaction unit (tier 2) and boni for one of the baracks units, needs 1st subfaction building and baracks
    – 3rd subfaction building: unlock 2nd subfaction unit (tier 3) and general city boni, needs 2nd subfaction building
    – 4th subfaction “building”: costs only mana, newly produced racial units gain the new subfaction trait, needs 3rd subfaction building

Factions for the different races:
    – High Elves: Dark Elf Heritage vs. Wood Elf Heritage
    – Humans: Occultists vs. Visionaries
    – Frostlings: Wolfkin vs. Children of Artica
    – Draconians: Firedrake Heritage vs. Lizardman Heritage
    – Goblins: Boglings vs. Hob-Goblins
    – Dwarves: Order of Stormy Heights vs. Order of the Deep
    – Tigrans: Sun Cult vs. Moon Cult
    – Halflings: Shroomer Clan vs. The Vigil
    – Orcs: Blackskull Tribe vs. Whitemane Tribe

This is the 1.00 version of the mod. This means for one thing that there are most likely still bugs around (which I encourage you to report) and for another that there can be other smaller changes in the future (e.g. different sounds, fx effects, etc…).

******Important Information***********
    – the mod should now be compatible with any other mod that also adds new city upgrades (this doesn’t mean that other side effects can’t occur)
    – the mod is now compatible with the alignment city spells (they will overwrite the alignment like for any other units, so e.g. you can create dedicated to good dark elves now)

******Known Issues******
    – the AI won’t use the witch lightning ability of the hag
    – units adjacent to the hex where the aether gate is spawned can’t use the use aether gate ability until they move one hex away and back next to the aether gate again (this is a general problem with auras, unfortunately devs said they won’t change this)
    – for players with lower spec PC’s that use >= high texture quality it can happen that the high elf spider queen model is only partially visible

******Credits*******
    – Flenoom, for showing me how to vastly improve my spider queen model
    – L_M_Glegg, for writing those great unit descriptions (more on the way ;))
    – Franziskus, for translating the unit descriptions into german

So far the mod is only available on steam.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by  Eomolch.

Centurion-X

Comrade Eomolch, I so understand that … the treeman was obtained through a replacement the snowman’s textures (aka yeti). I’m right?

Eomolch

Yes, I replaced the materials of the parts of the yeti with different ones and also copied his fur mesh to use it with 2 different materials. I had to disable the opacity map of one of the materials but other than that that’s about it.

Centurion-X

Comrade Eomolch, great job!!!!! I dare say that You used Blender or similar programs and Photoshop?

Eomolch

Thank you 😉 I used gimp for the icons which is pretty much a free photoshop clone. For the model/material I only used the content editor. I’ve never tried out blender but my experience with other 3D modeling software showed me I am not very talented in that field 😛 (unfortunately)

l_m_glegg

Eomolch,

This mod is an excellent idea with a good bit of potential. I’ve written two test descriptions (one for the Spider Queen and one for the Glade Maiden). If you like them, I’d be more than happy to write descriptions for all the units you create in this mod. Do you have an e-mail address I could send them to?

Charlatan

That’s some really clever use of the modcontentED O_O

Didn’t think a result like the Warden of Nature was doable like that.

Eomolch

@I_m_glegg: Cool, this is great! Here is my email: boa.jakob@googlemail.com

@charlatan: I just got lucky that for once my ideas worked^^ The bad thing about it is, now people will expect the models of the upcoming units do be just as spectacular…

Gloweye

@Charlatan: I just got lucky that for once my ideas worked^^ The bad thing about it is, now people will expect the models of the upcoming units do be just as spectacular…

That’s the reason humanity once invented something called a Disclaimer.

“I do not guarantee the quality of any future models in comparison to the current ones..”

(Must say though, it looks pretty awesome…)

Flenoom

I really like your Spider Queen, but I would like to know – this is her final appearance? You can make it more similar to the classic AoW and D&D Queens. I mean, without legs and with spider body:
    http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/dungeons/images/b/bf/Drider.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20091008231000
    The result will be something like this (attention, heavy gif file!):
    http://s159.photobucket.com/user/licemer/media/33333.gif.html
    What do you think about this?

Eomolch

I really like your Spider Queen, but I would like to know – this is her final appearance? You can make it more similar to the classic AoW and D&D Queens. I mean, without legs and with spider body:
    http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/dungeons/images/b/bf/Drider.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20091008231000
    The result will be something like this (attention, heavy gif file!):
    http://s159.photobucket.com/user/licemer/media/33333.gif.html
    What do you think about this?

Hey Flenoom! If you had just asked me whether the current appearance was final without showing your screen and gif I probably would have said yes. But now that I have seen them I must say they look absolutely incredible. :O The reason I made my spider queen rather a spider rider mainly was that I didn’t think it would be possible to create the ‘usual’ half-female half-spider version. I absolutely have to try recreate this myself (if you allow me to use it for my mod), so I have to ask, was it sufficient to just hide the legs (or rather that part of the necro outfit) of the rider model or did you also have to translate the spider for it to fit like this? Also I assume the rigging is still the same? (the hero spider mount one)

And maybe you can also answer me another question: How do I give a hero model in the content editor eyes? I managed to put all other parts together, but when I add the eye model from the Heroes_Eyes.clb there only appears one eye at the bottom and it isn’t connected to the model at all. In case of the spider queen it wasn’t a big problem but there are many more units I will have to create for my mod and the option to use mounted hero variants only makes sense (in most cases) if I can give them eyes…

@gloweye: Well either that or I’ll just wait and see how everything turns out. 😉

Flenoom

I’m glad that you like it and of course I would love to see it in your mod, but since my last experiment, I found a couple of problems of this method. Yes, I disabled legs in the hero necromancer model and a bit transformed (translate) spider model to remove space between meshes. But because of this the rigs have lost their coordinates and a spider animation become glitchy.
    The second problem – a death animation when the rider is detached from the mount. Although, this is not such a big problem, let’s imagine that is a kind of decapitation.
    I look at these issues when I get home.

As for the eyes – alas, but I dont know the answer, since I have not enough experience with the models of the heroes.

Eomolch

Hm, in your gif the animation doesn’t seem very glitchy, so I will have to try it out and see how it is ingame. Also, do you by any chance remember the exact translation coordinates for the spider?

And no worries about the eyes, I just figured you might now this 🙂

Flenoom

I moved it around to 0; 0.2; -0.35 (If I remember correctly) on the axes (Meshes>spider_model_name>Transform>Translate).
    However, this will lift the model above the ground, so maybe it would be better to move the model of the hero, not a spider.

Eomolch

The updated mod with the changed model is now online 🙂 In the end I had to leave the spider floating slightly above the ground, but it is barely noticeable, especially if you don’t know about it. Translating the hero model wasn’t an option since it completely breaks the rigging. Though, if there exists a way to also translate a sceletton that would probably fix it.

Either way, I wan’t to thank you once again for sharing this and allowing me to use it, it looks just soo much better now than before 😉 Only “bad” thing is now I have to ponder, whether I will make the new spider queen a support, irregular or monster unit since cavalry doesn’t make sense anymore.

Flenoom

Good job! Glad to help you!

Only “bad” thing is now I have to ponder, whether I will make the new spider queen a support, irregular or monster unit since cavalry doesn’t make sense anymore.

It depends on what upgrades you want for this unit. Sorcerer gives a teleport and stun for Supports, Explorer gives a speed boost for Irregulars, etc.

Eomolch

It depends on what upgrades you want for this unit. Sorcerer gives a teleport and stun for Supports, Explorer gives a speed boost for Irregulars, etc.

Yes, as you could see in the screenshot, I made a quick roll for irregular, mostly because the other 2 (monster, support) didn’t really fit (no actual support ability, monster units are usually not intelligent enough to use wands) and also because the sphinx, which is probably the closest thing to this in the base game, is also an irregular.

Gloweye

didn’t really fit (no actual support ability,

Not really true – Greater Webbing Touch is a support ability, as is the ranged elemental damage. Just look at Storm Sisters.

My personal placement would have been support, (and maybe also monster), but Irregular isn’t a weird classification either.

Eomolch

Ok, greater webbing touch can be seen as a support ability. But ranged elemental damage? Sure, most support units have it, but that doesn’t mean it actually has a supporting role (which usually means either buffing allies or debuffing foes). Storm sisters at least gain dispel in that category (and have stunning touch, which is comparable to webbing touch ofc).

Olorin

Hi, guys!

Eomolch, your units look great so far (except for blade dancers; sorry, but replace them, please). Are you going to make separate races for dark and sylvan (wood) elves? I mean: “high elf spider queen” sounds weird.

Flenoom, your archons look great so far, but it would be awesome to have them as a separate race, not as the part of the dwelling.

Gloweye, what about your plans for future mods?

P.S.: IMHO, spider queens should be support units.

Mourioche

This mod aims to add subfactions to each race, one for good and one for evil alignment

Hello,

Great mod,
    Nice job !

I just saw something that you should not have with this mod :
    If i have several town, i can choice for each town if i follow the “good path” or the “evil path” with building.
    So, i can choose my path for units i build, but i can have town not dedicaced for unit building and if i build building of the other path on these town, i can benefit advantage of the other side too.

Perhaps the first building could prevent player to build all builds of the other side for all towns ?
    This remark could be available for all the empire, for all races in case of multi-race empire ? (good path with elf and evil path with humans in the same empire ?)
    One thing too : If you capture a town of a player that has chosen the over path, building of this player path should be not available for me (like building of other class) and can only be sold ?

For these reasons, i think it could be good that when a player chose a path, all building of the other side (for all races) become unusuable (like building of an other class)

And, if you capture a town where a building of one path is already build, and if you have not choosen your path yet, what append ? Can you use this building ?

For this reason… perhaps that “choose a path” could be a research (political or social research ? contact with a good or evil spirit ?) instead of a first building ?

Flenoom

Flenoom, your archons look great so far, but it would be awesome to have them as a separate race, not as the part of the dwelling.

Thank you, but I believe that the archons do not fit into the class system of the AoW3. They have a very solid style, I can’t imagine a Dreadnought-Archon. So, I guess, dwelling is the best place for them. But if someone decides to create a full race, I will share my models with them.
    But this is offtopic, it is better to continue to discuss here:
    http://aow.triumph.net/forums/topic/modwip-living-archons-announcement-and-questions/

esvath

This mod aims to add subfactions to each race, one for good and one for evil alignment

Hello,

Great mod,
    Nice job !

If i have several town, i can choice for each town if i follow the “good path” or the “evil path” with building.

For this reason… perhaps that “choose a path” could be a research (political or social research ? contact with a good or evil spirit ?) instead of a first building ?

Or, make the first buildings unlocked by two different Racial Governance (maybe level 3 RG?).

The downside of this is, players will be locked on that choice.

Mourioche

Or, make the first buildings unlocked by two different Racial Governance (maybe level 3 RG?).

Look good, but a player could still choose both a “good path” and a “evil path” if its empire is multi-racial.
    Can be done, or not; this is a design choice… It’s up to the owner of this mod…

Eomolch

Hi, guys!

Eomolch, your units look great so far (except for blade dancers; sorry, but replace them, please). Are you going to make separate races for dark and sylvan (wood) elves? I mean: “high elf spider queen” sounds weird.

Hi Olorin! Sorry to hear you dislike my blade dancer model, but I don’t think I will change it (again) unless I have a very brilliant idea since I am now rather happy with how they look. As far as separate races go, the idea of this mod is to introduce different progression choices for each race rather than entirely new races. I feel like the game is in a nice spot as far as the number of races go. Adding a new race would mean you have to introduce something entirely different, not to mention you will suffer horribly when trying to make all the new units (especially racial class units) look distinct enough from existing races. So no, I am not going to make separate races 😉

Hello,

Great mod,
    Nice job !

So, i can choose my path for units i build, but i can have town not dedicaced for unit building and if i build building of the other path on these town, i can benefit advantage of the other side too.

Perhaps the first building could prevent player to build all builds of the other side for all towns ?
    This remark could be available for all the empire, for all races in case of multi-race empire ? (good path with elf and evil path with humans in the same empire ?)
    One thing too : If you capture a town of a player that has chosen the over path, building of this player path should be not available for me (like building of other class) and can only be sold ?

For these reasons, i think it could be good that when a player chose a path, all building of the other side (for all races) become unusuable (like building of an other class)

And, if you capture a town where a building of one path is already build, and if you have not choosen your path yet, what append ? Can you use this building ?

Hi Mourioche! First of all it is nice to hear you like the core of my mod. 🙂
    Now considering the problem you describe: For me it isn’t a problem, it is actually meant to work this way. You see, cities and their population are different and allowing one city to deepen their bonds with dark elf culture e.g. doesn’t mean your other elven cities would want to do the same, they may or they may not, and if they eventually can is all up to you. Technically players with good or evil alignment won’t be able to use units with the opposite alignment anyway and neutral players who can do so have the disadvantage that those units will all suffer -200 moral. When you conquer a city with opposite building line you can sell them, unless it already has 4th tier building in which case you have the choice to raze/migrate the city or make it a vassal.

If I would want to do it this way, racial governance should be the way to go, yes. But as I explained above I actually want things to work the way they do right now.

Olorin

Eomolch, thank you for your reply. I did not notice that you had updated your blade dancer model. The new model is very nice! Looking forward to your new racial subfactions!

Flenoom, thank you for your reply.

Mourioche

I think that advantage given by “Statue of the Woods” is too powerfull,

And also because every player can spam its territory with forest, this result in a uggly map full of forests.

Have in mind the governance bonus for goblin (with swamps), available only for town of little size (a reason for goblin not to spam the map with swamps).

Attachments:

Eomolch

I already suspected it is too powerful but wanted to wait if someone would come complain about it and that way confirm my suspicion. I guess that the solution is to either decrease or remove the happiness bonus, since the population bonus shouldn’t really be an issue (for small cities it barely negates the inherent elf population growth malus).

Mourioche

I already suspected it is too powerful but wanted to wait if someone would come complain about it and that way confirm my suspicion. I guess that the solution is to either decrease or remove the happiness bonus, since the population bonus shouldn’t really be an issue (for small cities it barely negates the inherent elf population growth malus).

I think there is 2 things to watch :
    A – The balance aspect
    B – Give a good reason for a player to avoid to paint its territory with forest.

I don’t really watch the mod tool, and i don’t know what it is possible or impossible to do with it.
    Is it possible to limit the bonus with a maximum number of forest ?
    Something like that : Town size 1 => bonus available for 2 forest max, town size 2 => bonus available for 3 forest … ?
    Something like this could respond both for A and B points.

Anyway, this is wood elf… something should be given from forest. This is not easy to take decision to change this.

Eomolch

Hm as far as B goes, you are forgetting that the player already has quite a good number of reasons to turn his territory into forest in that scenario. It slows down the enemy (who not necessarily will have forestry), makes the city happy (liked terrain) and for units with the wood elf heritage trait the forest also provides shelter (heal) and concealment.

I agree that terraforming skills can make the map look weird, but that is more a problem of the terraforming skills than of this particular building effect. Maybe you should watch out for a mod in that respect, if I am not mistaken there does exist at least one mod that changes terraformer skills.

Also I am pretty sure you can’t limit amount of forests that will give the bonus.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.