[Finished] Racial Heritage Mod

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Modding and Map Making [Finished] Racial Heritage Mod

This topic contains 66 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  HjAa 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • Author

I already suspected it is too powerful but wanted to wait if someone would come complain about it and that way confirm my suspicion. I guess that the solution is to either decrease or remove the happiness bonus, since the population bonus shouldn’t really be an issue (for small cities it barely negates the inherent elf population growth malus).

I would agree with completely removing the happiness bonus. Forests already do this naturally for elves. Counteracting the pop malus would then still be a solid use for wood elf line.

esvath

I checked your mod page in Steam and it looks like that you have updated it with Frostling! That’s so cool!

I also noticed that there might be problem with double “Dedicated to …” if a player also cast a city enchantment spell that gives a “Dedicated to …” trait. To work with this issue, how about removing the “Dedicated to …” from the heritage units and giving effects of liking particular alignment to the heritage trait?

So essentially “Dark Elf” trait will give the units effects just like “Dedicated to Evil”. That way, there wouldn’t be two “Dedicated to …” traits in one unit.

Gloweye

I also noticed that there might be problem with double “Dedicated to …” if a player also cast a city enchantment spell that gives a “Dedicated to …” trait. To work with this issue, how about removing the “Dedicated to …” from the heritage units and giving effects of liking particular alignment to the heritage trait?

So essentially “Dark Elf” trait will give the units effects just like “Dedicated to Evil”. That way, there wouldn’t be two “Dedicated to …” traits in one unit.

Or you could make dedicated cities invalid targets for dedication city enchantments of the opposite kind.

Eomolch

I checked your mod page in Steam and it looks like that you have updated it with Frostling! That’s so cool!

Hm, I am not sure what exactly you propose. Do you mean I should introduce a trait with the same effect as dedicated to evil/good just with a different name?

Or you could make dedicated cities invalid targets for dedication city enchantments of the opposite kind.

This seems like a very good idea, but it doesn’t solve the problem for the dedicated to neutral spell (or rather dedicated to neutral players could only use base units).

I would actually like to achieve that those spells also overwrite the dedicated to X from the subfaction traits, but not sure yet how or if I can guarantee that. The alternative is to change the nature of the alignment specializations, but that might be a little over the top.

Gloweye

I would actually like to achieve that those spells also overwrite the dedicated to X from the subfaction traits, but not sure yet how or if I can guarantee that. The alternative is to change the nature of the alignment specializations, but that might be a little over the top.

Dedicated to Good Dark Elves?

I believe it’s possible – there should be something on the way Embraced by Darkness and company apply their dedication.(something like overwrite dedication – they currently can overwrite stuff from dwellings, so you can build Good Archons already in the base game.)

Or alternatively, mabye it’ll work if you build in exceptions for your own dedication inducers. Basically, make embraced by darkness and company apply an invisible requisite, and mark that as forbidden for your own spells.

Or maybe both, depending on how the game handles multiple city properties being applied. Would need testing I think.

esvath

Hm, I am not sure what exactly you propose. Do you mean I should introduce a trait with the same effect as dedicated to evil/good just with a different name?

Yes. Instead of making the new units have “Dedicated to…”, just include the effects of the “Dedicated to…” to their heritage traits (Dark Elf trait will give units bonus just like Dedicated to Evil etc).

That is just to eliminate the weirdness of having a unit with Dedicated to Good/Neutral and Dedicated to Evil.

But your idea on making spells which give “Dedicate to…” also removes other “Dedicate to…” is also sound in my opinion.

Eomolch

Dedicated to Good Dark Elves?

It’s not like I’m a big fan of the concept, but since the game already makes it possible to have dedicated to good shadow stalkers, reapers, etc… why not good dark elves?

I believe it’s possible – there should be something on the way Embraced by Darkness and company apply their dedication.(something like overwrite dedication – they currently can overwrite stuff from dwellings, so you can build Good Archons already in the base game.)

Yes, they overwrite alignment, which is why it works on units that directly belong to the subfaction and have the subfaction trait as an inherent ability. It could be that if I make the subfaction trait a requisite instead of a normal ability that it will also work on the other units but that is mere speculation on my part.

Or alternatively, mabye it’ll work if you build in exceptions for your own dedication inducers. Basically, make embraced by darkness and company apply an invisible requisite, and mark that as forbidden for your own spells.

Or maybe both, depending on how the game handles multiple city properties being applied. Would need testing I think.

As I said above, I could make the subfaction traits requisites (though with a different goal in mind). I will have to try some of the options and see which works (best).

Yes. Instead of making the new units have “Dedicated to…”, just include the effects of the “Dedicated to…” to their heritage traits (Dark Elf trait will give units bonus just like Dedicated to Evil etc).

That is just to eliminate the weirdness of having a unit with Dedicated to Good/Neutral and Dedicated to Evil.

But your idea on making spells which give “Dedicate to…” also removes other “Dedicate to…” is also sound in my opinion.

I will see what will work in the end, but solving the issue is now on top of my to-do list 😉

esvath

I see that you have solved the issue of alignment spells AND updated the mod with Draconian heritages, great work!

A suggestion: can you make the heritage units also use the faction’s color when it is possible? For the example, the Wood Elf Maiden or Dark Elf Blademaster, their clothes should be in faction’s color instead of always purple. Not all units can use this, but for some units, I think this will improve their visual unity with the other units.

I don’t know whether this is possible, though.

Eomolch

I see that you have solved the issue of alignment spells AND updated the mod with Draconian heritages, great work!

A suggestion: can you make the heritage units also use the faction’s color when it is possible? For the example, the Wood Elf Maiden or Dark Elf Blademaster, their clothes should be in faction’s color instead of always purple. Not all units can use this, but for some units, I think this will improve their visual unity with the other units.

I don’t know whether this is possible, though.

First of all, thank you 🙂

As for the colors, I know the current state is not ideal (at least there are still the flags to distinguish those units) but to change this I would have to make my own player-color mappings for those units which would require a significant amount of effort (especially since I don’t have any experience with this). So … I will try to keep this in mind and take a closer look when the core of the mod (= all races) are done. Then I will decide if it is doable for me or not 😉

edit: I forgot to mention that not all new units have the coloring problem. It should only affect those that either have unusual models/materials or where I used coloring options to change the color presets.

Eomolch

Just wanted to stop by to say that the mod now also features goblins, dwarves and tigrans. So only halflings and orcs are still missing.

Also, does anybody know how to edit the first post in a topic? The usual method doesn’t seem to work for me here 🙁

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by  Eomolch.

Gloweye

Normal:

http://aow.triumph.net/forums/reply/%5Bpost ID]/edit/

Topic:

http://aow.triumph.net/forums/topic/%5Btopic name]/edit/

IIRC. Got no new topics to try it on.

Eomolch

Thank you, Gloweye, didn’t know about the topic one! 🙂

Eomolch

***All races are done now!***

Still lacking some unit descriptions and I’m going to revise some sound and fx effects at some point, but for now it’s a solid 1.00 version.

Thanks for all the support on the way! Special thanks goes to L_M_Glegg, Franziskus, PsychoticSoul, Flenoom, ji.nightmurderer, Mike, GuineanWarlord and Dragon! And also a big thanks to Godzillamancer who explained to me the basics of the content editor when I asked him about his elephant rider 🙂

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by  Eomolch.

esvath

Congrats!!! I will redownload your mod and play it! This and Tibbles’ have become my favorite mods!

Eomolch

Thank you, esvath, happy to hear this 🙂

Also, if you find any bugs, please let me know 😉

wusong

Great work, it feels like a mini expansion!

I like it very much.

Thank you for sharing.

Eomolch

Thank you wusong, the amount of work I put into it definitely also felt like doing a mini expansion 😛 😛

esvath

I have not found any bug, the current game is playing out nicely and I am savouring the experience, spending so much time choosing which factions I support, which races I keep, which units I build. Playing Neutral leader has become more interesting with the vast choice of units!

oech

Hi there!

Is there any way to get this mod without Steam? I have the GOG version of AOW3 so Steam workshop is not available. Or is there a way to get the files on Steam workshop without owning the game on Steam?

lordoflinks

You can use this website, http://steamworkshopdownloader.com/
    then place the downloaded file in the User Content folder in AOW3 in your documents and it should load in, at least that is how I did it.
    Thank you for this mod Emoloch

Mardagg

great mod! Thanks for sharing Eomolch.

Eomolch

Thank you all for the nice comments 🙂

Also, oech, if the suggestion from lordoflinks didn’t work, tell me and I will see if I can upload the mod to the nexus.

TheSpeaker

Absolutely love this mod, thanks Eomolch 🙂 Any ETA on the final descriptions for the rest of the units?

Eomolch

Hi TheSpeaker, I already got the tigran unit descriptions, so they will be online soon. As for the hafllings and orcs, L_M_Glegg is still working on them and I’d rather have him take his time, since he already did such a marvelous job on the rest 😉

TheSpeaker

He really did! this is why I’m asking, to make sure they aren’t forgotten 😀 Looking forward to seeing them in when they’re ready 🙂

Sartarius

Great mod mate, thanks! My 2 cents.

1) It will be good do add a description to building lines to show the aligment (good/evil) of the units they provide. So that player with pure evil wont choose a path for good ali units and can plan in advance

2) It seems a bit OP for the 1st tier structures. They are really cheap and provide HUGE bonus sometimes (total 3 research vs production per tile). I had a city with 400 production( Maybe it will be a good idea to balance em so they wont depend on tiles (just fixed bonus)?

Eomolch

Hi Sartarius, you are right about the descriptions. Right now the good/evil path is only color-coded for the first building (green icon = good, violet = evil), though it can easily be found out when looking at the following buildings / units in the tome of wonders (right click on the 1st building). I will add a remark on whether the path is for good or evil alignment 😉

As for the second problem, could you tell me which race/faction you were playing in that particular game? Since the only per tile boni come from

1) wood elf heritage (population for forest)
    2) firedrake heritage (production and mana for lava)
    3) order of stormy heights (production for mountains)

so maybe there is some problem with a bonus and it doesn’t do what it is supposed to…

Sartarius

Yes I was talking about bonus per hex vs stable bonus. And the city I was talking about is draconian with firedrake heritage indeed.

The problem in my PoV is that difference between stable bonus +6 mana or +3 research vs bonus per hex is tremendous and sometimes a city can become very OP. Right now I can easily build 1-turn shadow stalkers in 3 draconian cities.

So there is absolutely no point to build another building line-up in this 3 cases and other races became a lot weaker since you can build 1st buildings very cheap and from turn 1

All bonuses should be small (like stable ones) and there should be no bonus per hex (or at least give it to all races to balance and move to the last tier building). Right now I am playing without building “cheat” buildings. Otherwise mod is really great and add a lot of variety.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by  Sartarius.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by  Sartarius.

Eomolch

So in this particular game those 3 cities are almost completely surrounded by lava, right? Because the bonus should only be applied to lava hexes ….

Sartarius

Aye, lots of lava. Well, mountains and forest tiles are a lot more common than lava.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.