Your favourite race and class

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Your favourite race and class

This topic contains 151 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  NuMetal 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 152 total)
  • Author

Epaminondas

I’ve met very few Dwarf lovers

Well, it looks like one of two things:

1. Dwarves are not as strong as I thought.

OR

2. The popularity of a race (or a class) is less dependent on its power than I thought.

Probably a bit of both actually?

Ravenholme

The race was the hardest vote for me – It was a toss up between Orcs, Halflings, Frostlings and Tigrans, but I ended up going with Orcs – I play them the most which does, I guess, mean that they are my favourite race.

Class was easy – Theocrat all the way, but honourable mentions are Necro, Warlord and Sorcerer (in that order).

The results of these polls are interesting though, it shows that in terms of what people like, the game is actually pretty well balanced.

I’m guessing that the low number of votes for Halflings (But they are still being voted for!) is down to people who dislike playing against them due to Lucky, for example.

Yigg

I’m guessing that the low number of votes for Halflings (But they are still being voted for!) is down to people who dislike playing against them due to Lucky, for example.

I agree, Lucky is such a random benefit that can’t be relied on in combat. While it’s delightful when it works, I think most people prefer more predictable benefits.

Draxynnic

On dwarfs, I suspect it’s that while they’re a solid pick, they don’t really have anything that makes them especially stand out – they don’t have the unique feel of elves, draconians, goblins, and the expansion races, nor do they have the historical everyman feel (and cav to knight evolve) of humans. That means there also isn’t a lot to make them drop down to least favourite race either (uniqueness can be a double-edged sword), but it does make it understandable that they’re behind races with more bells and whistles.

Personally, I’m also surprised that tigrans aren’t doing well. I suspect they may be being pipped out by draconians and high elves, which have similarish playstyles. I know I’m looking forward to another tigran game…

After I’ve finished my halfling dread game. And Frostling rogue. And human Theocrat is on the list as well…

(Mind you, tigrans did take a big hit with the pounce nerf – that might have influenced things.)

GeorgiSR

OR
    2. The popularity of a race (or a class) is less dependent on its power than I thought.

Try Dwarf Theocrat and see what really is tough and strong. Priest with 17 Armor and Evangelist with 19. That is the very definition of toughness. I like dwarves and I love playing with them. On the other hand I voted goblin theocrat since I love goblins better than dwarves, however that has nothing to do with race toughness…

Ravenholme

OR

Try Dwarf Theocrat and see what really is tough and strong. Priest with 17 Armor and Evangelist with 19. That is the very definition of toughness. I like dwarves and I love playing with them. On the other hand I voted goblin theocrat since I love goblins better than dwarves, however that has nothing to do with race toughness…

Epa plays Dwarf Theocrat fairly often, from posts he’s made before, so I think you’re preaching to the choir.

I think it is more that he didn’t expect that favourite races might be based on non-optimal choices strength wise.

Teehon

Really surprised about elves… In my opinion they don’t have much except for their archers, which is very one-sided gameplay.

Epaminondas

Dwarf Theocrat has been my go-to race-class combination from release.

Epa plays Dwarf Theocrat fairly often, from posts he’s made before, so I think you’re preaching to the choir.

I think it is more that he didn’t expect that favourite races might be based on non-optimal choices strength wise.

Exactly.

Epaminondas

Really surprised about elves… In my opinion they don’t have much except for their archers, which is very one-sided gameplay.

No way. Their Support is arguably the best T2 Support offensively (note I said “offensively,” not absolutely or all-around best). Many consider their T2 cavalry the best due to Phase (though I do not); and they have arguably the strongest flying T3.

bam65

I voted for archdruid mostly because that’s what I’m playing in my current scenario right now but it could just as easily have been theocrat or necromancer. I voted tigrans for race because they’re a little more dynamic than most other races.

Agent Fluff

I been playing a lot of theocrat lately. Nothing like smiting down the heathens with a shrine and a swarm of exalted. Thanks to resurgence you can just throw them at anything. I also love crusaders. Always had a thing for the sturdy shieldman type. Is there a better race for theocrat than halflings, I wonder?

Epaminondas

I been playing a lot of theocrat lately. Nothing like smiting down the heathens with a shrine and a swarm of exalted. Thanks to resurgence you can just throw them at anything. I also love crusaders. Always had a thing for the sturdy shieldman type. Is there a better race for theocrat than halflings, I wonder?

I don’t think Halflings make particularly good Theocrats. Forum consensus is Dwarves and Orcs make the best Theocrats.

ArcaneSeraph

Halflings make very interesting theocrats. I’m not sure they are ultra powerful but they are interesting. The theocrat units provide bulk to the halflings that they don’t have natively. Also those lesser bard skills evangelists + touch of faith providing extra morale is pretty darn nice. Combine it with very lucky eagle riders and they are extremely hard to take down.

My personal favourite theocrats are the frostlings. They aren’t the most defensive but they add a lot of extra utilities and alternate damage channels to the theocrat. The drawves are probably my second favourite.

I really don’t like the orcs much. Too much physical and very little range damage. But that’s just me.

I think the Sorcerer and Archdruid are fun classes. You set out on a raid with one stack while summoning. Withing 5 turns you can have 2 stacks to attack. Bring up reinforcements and you have 3.

Theocrat is fun. The exalted , stacks of devout units, the support units, and the healing spells make them one of my favorites.

My favorite race is Dwarf. The production bonus and the mountain walking is why. Elf is a close second. The bonuses to magic resistance are a late game advantage. I haven’t played enough of the new races (or classes) to say whether I like them or hate them.

Epaminondas

BBB,

Can you put the same poll up on what people think are strongest classes and races? It would be interesting to see how the results of the two (actually four) polls differ.

I don’t think Halflings make particularly good Theocrats. Forum consensus is Dwarves and Orcs make the best Theocrats.

What is the forum consensus for the other classes?

Epaminondas

What is the forum consensus for the other classes?

I think the other classes were generally:

Archdruid: High Elf
    Dreadnought: Dwarf, Human
    Necromancer: Frostling, Halfling
    Rogue: Draconian, Frostling, Tigran
    Sorcerer: Draconian, Frostling
    Warlord: High Elf, Tigran

As you can see (including Dwarf and Orc for Theocrat), Goblin was the only race not considered among the top for any particular class.

NINJEW

OR

On dwarfs, I suspect it’s that while they’re a solid pick, they don’t really have anything that makes them especially stand out – they don’t have the unique feel of elves, draconians, goblins, and the expansion races, nor do they have the historical everyman feel (and cav to knight evolve) of humans.

It’s pretty much this. Dwarves are very good, but also very boring.

Elf units are universally better than or roughly on par with the Human Equivalent. Initiates are a cheap source of shock damage, Elf Swordsmen are about as good as Human Longswords, Union Guard are dual channel damage pikes, Longbows are Longbows, Unicorn Riders are Cavalry with Phase, Shock Sisters are big shock damage and also have a stun, and Gryphon Riders are basically Knights that can fly.

Their class units are another matter entirely, of course, but generally Elves are no slouch there either.

BBB,

Can you put the same poll up on what people think are strongest classes and races? It would be interesting to see how the results of the two (actually four) polls differ.

Done.

Wallthing

I think this poll says a lot about the player demographics of AoW3. That’s also why it might have surprised people who play MP games a lot. People who play SP don’t necessarily have much interest in which class/race is strongest. Instead, classes which are the most fun to play would tend to pull ahead.

People who play competitive multiplayer, on the other hand, can’t even consider classes or races that are too weak in the current meta. A class that always loses is never enjoyable.

People who play competitive multiplayer, on the other hand, can’t even consider classes or races that are too weak in the current meta. A class that always loses is never enjoyable.

While I get what you are saying, I don’t think there is really a class that always loses.

And if there were, it would be Necro something, in singleplayer.

Epaminondas

Done.

Thanks, bro. But one more request: Can you also make a separate link for results, so we can see it directly without extra clicks from the voting page? 😉

While I get what you are saying, I don’t think there is really a class that always loses.

I think generally the game is very well-balanced for a game with this type of diversity (Starcraft is said to be balanced, but you are dealing with 3 factions and no extra starting options/choices like race, Specialization, etc.)

Nonetheless, still some choices are a lot stronger or weaker depending on game settings. For instance, I’d imagine Necromancer would lose every game in MP in slowest settings but small map! 😉

Wallthing

Hyperbole. My intent was to point out that competitive MP puts considerable pressure on players to like classes that are strong as weaker classes of course win less often. Maybe all the moaning about balance and late game/mid game etc. around here has given me the impression that the multiplayer meta is a less even playing field than it actually is.

As for strong my vote went for Elf (Dwarf Second or third here), and Warlord (but maybe it could be sorc), also it say which is the COMBO that I think is the strongest right now, Elf-Warlord.

Edit: I’m a Single player, and I love Dwarfs…ever since Defensive Strike they become really fun to play (for my gamestyle) most of its units are usefull and fun to play, the only unit is kinda boring is it’s cavalry. Also, Beards.

llfoso

The second poll is a little less surprising 🙂

Rabenschwarz

High Elves have more then longbows. I absolutely love the cavalry and the griffon rider.
    Highly mobile with a strong punch.

NINJEW

Hyperbole. My intent was to point out that competitive MP puts considerable pressure on players to like classes that are strong as weaker classes of course win less often. Maybe all the moaning about balance and late game/mid game etc. around here has given me the impression that the multiplayer meta is a less even playing field than it actually is.

Nah you can play whatever in competitive MP and be viable. Pretty much every race/class combo has something cool going for it

Ericridge

Favorites results only proves what I think. People will play what they want to play, and disregard whatever is most overpowered and underpowered. They will play it anyways. Because that’s fun yo. XD

Draxynnic

On theocrat combinations:

I think it depends on what you’re looking for. Orcs and dwarves usually rate highly because they have the best crusaders and crusaders are meta for theocrats. Halflings arguably have the best martyrs, while draconians and humans have evangelists with ranged attacks (and humans can also use good theocrat healing to evolve cavalry into Knights). Exalted don’t really have anything that stands out – there are bonuses, but not really anything that makes you choose a race for its Exalted.

Frostlings don’t get special bonuses specific to particular units, but Frost Weapons on crusaders and exalted are useful, as is the general frostling reliance on supports.

Theocrats don’t really get anything useful out of high elves or goblins apart from racial units. Tigrans get a few minor but potentially interesting bonuses, but their tier 3 can’t be made Devout.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 152 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.