Your favourite tactics

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Your favourite tactics

This topic contains 24 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Yigg 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Zakharov

Play as a Shadowborn Master Expander Human Necromancer. Get’s Mab’s Boon and Expansionism. Your outposts now have 80 production (103 with a Builder’s Hall), at the cost of spending one turn out of every 6 migrating.

Frostling Royal Guards can Absorb Pain from Death Bringers, letting you run them into the front lines and ghoul curse everyone with your tireless total awareness retaliation strikes, while healing up the guards on the back lines with your Reanimators.

The Rogue’s Incite Revolt and Keeper of the Peace Adept’s Rally of the Populace combine to make any city that isn’t Cheerful open their gates to you in one turn. With the free rebellion units, you can take any city that isn’t heavily defended with a single Crow.

Mighty Meek Swarm Darters with Frozen Flames can kill heroes in one attack.

As an Arch Druid, or with an Arch Druid hero, build an item giving Dominate. Dominate an enemy unit, then cast Reinvigorate on your hero and dominate another.

As a Tigran, forge a Seeker hat, a +2 blight +2 spirit damage shield, and a Fairy Fire staff on a Sorcerer hero with Inflict Stun. Get Racial Governance 4 for Invigorate. Surround your hero with Mystics and machine gun the enemy team to death.

Get a level 11 Rogue with Total Awareness (or the Tigran sorcerer with Total Awareness, or the Tigran Theocrat with Vigilance). Load them up with Tireless boots and a Life Drain weapon from the forge, and every defensive item you’ve picked up. Cast Shadow Form, then run them into the middle of the enemy team and let them wreck every enemy melee unit. Works much better against AIs than against humans with any sense.

What are your favourite tricks and tactics?

NINJEW

the ol’ goblineer swarm is a lot of fun

pikaq

Use mark of death on lost soul,especially lost soul with supercharged ability.
    You can cast damnation on your own city or enemy city.Swarm darters can be better after you cast damnation on enemy city.

Zakharov

the ol’ goblineer swarm is a lot of fun

What’s that?

NINJEW

goblin engineers. pump out a full stack of them and use them as their irregular tag demands. they’re made of paper but oh man, for a t1 they hit like a fucking truck on a flank. it’s very fun to use

using engineers offensively rather than as a support is actually a lot of fun in general. they’re incredible glass cannons, especially after explorer buffs, but unfortunately the optimal play for them is 99% of the time is “cannon reload bitch”

Sir Toine

one i’ve been abusing lately, especially for late game epic sieges:
    -find a shrine of scarlet destroyer
    -have a stack of 6 cheap disposable scouts (wisps or crows are the best) ready.
    -make’em pay respects to the Holy Fire
    -rush them to the gates/archers/trebuchets
    -boom

Gloweye

one i’ve been abusing lately, especially for late game epic sieges:
    -find a shrine of scarlet destroyer
    -have a stack of 6 cheap disposable scouts (wisps or crows are the best) ready.
    -make’em pay respects to the Holy Fire
    -rush them to the gates/archers/trebuchets
    -boom

This can be improved – summon them at a Wizard’s Tower. Will give your suicide squad much more juice considered they summon a T2 elemental on death.

NINJEW

the pokemon gambit is very amusing. for extra fun, make them scout drones so your pokeballs open up with a bit of a boom too.

I like to use the Swap Location + Phase/Shadow Step/Pass wall/Flying (Hunter Spiders, Unicorn Rider, Deathbringer, Sorcerer Suports, etc), works very well with high Elf Arch Druid, with a little lucky – getting a lot of the phasing spiders – you are able to swap with T1’s (baby spiders) T2’s (unicorns) and T3’s (mature spider and gryphon rider) units. It is very cool on siege battle, you can remove a couple of key units before charging on battle. Of course, it is SP tactic, I can’t really see that working THAT well on MP.

NINJEW

combing swap location with phase sounds like a plenty good idea for mp?

i have chatted with someone who wanted to try abusing that with elf rogue. swap location with a unicorn rider, unicorn rider phases out, the swapped unit gets swarmed by charming bards. free unit!

probably also works with gryphons

combing swap location with phase sounds like a plenty good idea for mp?

i have chatted with someone who wanted to try abusing that with elf rogue. swap location with a unicorn rider, unicorn rider phases out, the swapped unit gets swarmed by charming bards. free unit!

probably also works with gryphons

That sounds really cool 😮 would also work with theocrats. I will give it a try sometime!

malaficus

Send ghoul swordmen(any will do) after researching vampiric hunger on auto resolve vs most armies.
    Because unlike players the ai(on both side) will spread the damage.
    Playing right into the lifestealing hands.
    Doesnt work well againt player’s who are smart enough not to feed my lifestealing troops, that is why i always auto resolve againt players with this.
    They might be able to kill my troops but the ai isnt 😛

Preload reanimate town.
    Instant loot it.
    Reanimate it.
    Get a new town, some evil points and being payed for it in one turn.

notme

Mine is destabilized mana tactical nuke.
    It does most damage of all spells, unless enemy is fireproof.
    Have dreadnought hero/leader and fire proof armies. Detonate bomb and kill survivors with remaining army.
    I think Hellfire does less damage, but it is more versatile: you have physical damage too. I think there is no units with natural fire and physical resistance in one.
    Having it with Storm Magic (destruction mastery) makes it even more fun.

“Kill it with fire” is perfect strategy in late game.

notme

Ugh can’t edit, hellfire is apparently most damaging from all combat spells – it does 80 pts of damage – 30 phys / 50 fire
    So dreadnought bomb is weaker than this.
    Does Storm Magic buff it to 120 pts (45/75)?
    And what can make Hellfire even more powerful?
    Or you just use it twice/thrice per round if you have powerful economy?

Fenraellis

Hellfire only deals the 50 Fire damage against units. The 30 Physical component(and only the Physical) is dealt against walls when applicable.

HansBaer

Nice tricks! I only did the Invigorate Machine gun so far (with an inflict-heavy Necro), will try the rest.

Against AI, or even in early MP:
    Don’t garrison your cities, especially if a cosmic event is coming up. Roaming units never attack an empty city.
    Later when enemy scouts become a problem, don’t garrison the central tile of your city but anyone next to it.

BTW, this always feels like an exploit to me and should be fixed, it’s one of the many things that makes SP too easy for any half-decent player, no matter how many emperor AIs you are up against.

Gloweye

Against AI, or even in early MP:
    Don’t garrison your cities, especially if a cosmic event is coming up. Roaming units never attack an empty city.
    Later when enemy scouts become a problem, don’t garrison the central tile of your city but anyone next to it.

Note: They’re currently working on the fix for this IIRC. Be very careful with this in coming patches or you may be unpleasantly surprised.

Zakharov

Ugh can’t edit, hellfire is apparently most damaging from all combat spells – it does 80 pts of damage – 30 phys / 50 fire
    So dreadnought bomb is weaker than this.
    Does Storm Magic buff it to 120 pts (45/75)?
    And what can make Hellfire even more powerful?
    Or you just use it twice/thrice per round if you have powerful economy?

You can’t get both Hellfire and Storm Magic because that would require both Fire and Destruction mastery.

Roaming independents attack my empty cities, though not in the early game. I’m subscribed to the beta, if that changes anything.

NINJEW

potentially you could get hellfire and storm magic through the all knowing empire quest

notme

Aww I thought 30pts of hellfire is dealt to units too.

So looks like Dreadnought does most damage, as Mana Bomb does 60 (90 with storm magic/180 with this and if enemy has 100% weakness to frost) to all units.

Ericridge

Fire Mastery Dreadnought.

Attack a city with Six Forge Priests.

Cast Destabilized Manacore.

Then Cast hellfire in next turn so both of the spells will detonate together for beautiful fiery overkill.

The more better when the city is heavily garrisoned.

Shaithias

Undead elves with a single unicorn rider, with the phase empire upgrade that allows unicorn riders to phase every turn. Chaos adept for swap. Dominate item from the forge. Fear on a banshee or rogue hero. Animators to weaken the enemy for guaranteed fear and mind control. Oh joy. The enemy gets siphoned and converted.

Ultimatum

Playing as a necromancer gets squads of lost souls together with a support unit and have them clear out treasure sites,even if lost souls are killed in battle they will resurge afterwards. (obviously you have to win for that to happen so it helps to have plenty of them)

pikaq

Aww I thought 30pts of hellfire is dealt to units too.

So looks like Dreadnought does most damage, as Mana Bomb does 60 (90 with storm magic/180 with this and if enemy has 100% weakness to frost) to all units.

Storm magic can’t affect mana bomb.

Yigg

Some good tips in this thread!

I found a good one last night playing as a Warlord, my level 12 necromancer and his archon titan buddy were the only survivors of a lich king’s castle. As they were slowly healing up I found an archon monster camp. Since my necro has just gotten Necromantic Aura I attacked the camp (there were 2 archon casters, 2 archers, and 2 infantry) and cast Steadfast Ward (warlord spell, double cost since he wasn’t there) on the necromancer and ran him into the middle of the casters and infantry. The titan took out the archers, but both infantry and both casters came under his necromantic aura because he couldn’t fall below 1 health. Presto, full party again, and 2 more undead healers.

It worked really well, and I’m going to try to build another instant army with the necro and Steadfast Ward.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.