Ravenholme

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 30 posts - 1,261 through 1,290 (of 1,290 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Age of Wonders III Wiki #103040

    Ravenholme
    Member

    Ancestral Spirit is summoned through Archdruid combat spell. You need to research the spell first.

    I hope this answers your question?

    Does indeed, cheers!

    Explains why I’ve not seen it yet, I rarely play Archdruid or play against anyone playing Archdruid.

    in reply to: Expansion Dev Journal: Seals of Power #103030

    Ravenholme
    Member

    Personally, i’m very interrested in the challenges holding these seals (assuming heavy sieging will take place). Think of it, you’ll need to resupply troops, probably some will build towns close by, multiple players could have multiple towns close to a seal, it’ll be lots of battle for sure. On the case, will these elementals behave like the scoundrels do that come from a brigand’s hideout, or be focused purely on seal occupation?

    I imagine the latter, but it’d be nice if they became more pro-active around seals that are being challenged. Peaceful occupation until someone takes the seal, and then if/when they retake it they start sending out raiding bands of elementals.

    in reply to: Expansion Dev Journal: Seals of Power #103023

    Ravenholme
    Member

    <div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ravenholme wrote:</div>
    Or, look at this way. Destruction of the Shadow Gates and Wizard’s Circles was closing the door, planting the Seals of Power was barring and bolting that door.

    I know it’s hard for a storywriter to come up with explanations for all these game mechanisms and missing races. In the end I’ll always accept explanations such as given by Ravenholme, but I can’t help but think that this barring and bolting is very shaky and not worth giving up all of your power and killing hordes of people. I don’t see much difference in having to capture a shadow gate or having to capture a seal.

    <div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Rhaeg wrote:</div>
    should make a separate thread on this soon, going into it here would derail the “Seals” discussion.

    I’ll shut up about this now or I’ll still be derailing the discussion :p

    Well, without the Wizards Circle anchoring the power of the Wizard Kings, I imagine that it will be much harder for them to cast Shadow Shift to get back to Athla (And I imagine the Seals are further acting as a ‘jammer’ of that, if you will, and preventing from any Shadow Gates constructed becoming active).

    And I kind of imagine it’s supposed to be shaky, it was done in a fit of desperation, with Merlin, Meandor and Julia in on it, the shakiness is so that, well, we as players can come along and start undoing these seals for a temporary boost of power, unaware that we’re basically unlocking the door preventing the corrupted Wizard Kings and the Shadows from returning (Which I assume will be the essence of the new campaigns plot – whether the Shadowborn are doing it willingly or someone is pursuing it unwittingly)

    in reply to: Expansion Dev Journal: Seals of Power #103017

    Ravenholme
    Member

    <div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Draxynnic wrote:</div>
    I’m all but convinced we’re going to see the Shadow Gate blown open at some stage. This looks like our first hint as to how.<br>
    On the question of why it’s worthwhile if the seals are breakable – if nothing else, I’d say it bought time. Reading between the lines, Meandor took the biggest army that he and his allies could reasonably put together and departed through the Gate, but the impression given is that this was not expected to hold the enemy at bay for long. Despite the Shadowborn’s interference, however, Athla in what I think is the canon ending is in a much better state to fight off such an invasion. If anything, that very interference has catalysed things.

    I understand what Meandor did and it makes for some interesting story possibilities. To me, it just doesn’t make any sense at all for the leader of the Wizard’s Circle to give up most of his power to destroy shadow gates, if there are still alternatives to these shadowgates at some places in the world. Shattering Evermore was an ultimate (look at the consequences mentioned in the timeline!) sacrifice: understandable if it allows you to shut all doors between worlds, but not so if there’s a very concrete and attainable backdoor mechanism.

    I think it does, because by robbing the power of the Wizard Kings, he removed their ability to use magics which can flip between the two planes at will (Shadow Shift).

    Or, look at this way. Destruction of the Shadow Gates and Wizard’s Circles was closing the door, planting the Seals of Power was barring and bolting that door.

    in reply to: Expansion Dev Journal: Seals of Power #103010

    Ravenholme
    Member

    I’m all but convinced we’re going to see the Shadow Gate blown open at some stage. This looks like our first hint as to how.

    On the question of why it’s worthwhile if the seals are breakable – if nothing else, I’d say it bought time. Reading between the lines, Meandor took the biggest army that he and his allies could reasonably put together and departed through the Gate, but the impression given is that this was not expected to hold the enemy at bay for long. Despite the Shadowborn’s interference, however, Athla in what I think is the canon ending is in a much better state to fight off such an invasion. If anything, that very interference has catalysed things.

    That’s pretty much my read (and I think the obvious conclusion from the timeline and the campaigns) on the situation too. I suspect we’ll find out for certain in the next campaign though (Which, given this new victory condition, will probably revolve around a Shadowborn/Torchbearer race to the Seals of Power, though whether the protagonists of the campaign will be willing, informed participants in this, or uninformed pawns, remains to be seen)

    in reply to: New race/class analysis #103008

    Ravenholme
    Member

    <div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Leon Feargus wrote:</div>
    Thank you, Drax, for your analysis. I enjoyed reading that…<br><br>
    Next up: Shadow Demons please!

    Hrrmn, I guess taking requests is another means of arranging an order… *starts thinking about SDs for tomorrow*

    Shadow Demons are one race I have thought about a lot, because they’re one of my favourites from Shadow Magic, and I came to the conclusion that the class system pretty much relegates them to dwelling status if they show up in AoW III. The idea of Shadow Dreadnoughts, for example, is ludicrous (Even if I do have this cool mental image of Spawn in highly stylised armour wielding alien-looking muskets)

    in reply to: Age of Wonders III Wiki #103000

    Ravenholme
    Member

    Hm, I have a question which the wikis have never answered.

    The Ancestral Spirit Unit (Looks like a white Phantasmal Warrior in Golden/Elven Armour) – Where does it actually appear ingame? I saw them in the Tome of Wonders a couple of days ago, but have never actually encountered them.

    in reply to: Expansion Dev Journal: Seals of Power #102981

    Ravenholme
    Member

    Interesting. I do look forward to trying it. Though,

    Periodically a Seal will spawn a new army of elemental guardians to attack the player occupying it. So players will need to keep strong armies on the Seals in order to keep control over them.

    It seems unlikely that anyone is going to dedicate a full stack of units to just sitting on the seal. More likely, they’ll sit on it with one irregular unit and come in with a stack if it gets taken, unless these spawns are extremely frequent.

    Yep, this sounds very interesting, and since I suspect that this will tie into the campaign they’ve said they have in the works, I’m fairly sure we’re building up to the opening of the Shadow Gates.

    Lore (and future direction of the game) aside. The mechanic sounds interesting, King of the Hill-like, and with the potential to produce some real, interesting flashpoints of conflict. There are two methods to counter the worry about how people will hold them though – Adjustable frequency of respawning of elemental guardian stacks, or, and this is just a thought, having the recapture of a Seal by the Elemental Guardians reduce the number of charges acquired by the player, so they have an incentive to hold them in force against the respawning guardians. (Handwave it as the Elemental Guardians beginning to repair the seal and siphon back the charges stolen by the Empire through the Artes Arcane)


    Ravenholme
    Member

    Well, realistically, the gates of fortified cities are not wide enough that two units of Age of Wonders typical size could attack them. The whole point of city gates was to funnel the attackers in where they would be easier to kill. (And in times of peace to make it easier to control the flow of people entering and leaving the city)

    in reply to: New race/class analysis #102887

    Ravenholme
    Member

    <div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Draxynnic wrote:</div>
    about it considering that a turn is supposed to be a day

    Do you have an official quote for this, i always thought it was about a month.

    Age of Wonders 2 and Shadow Magic (Not sure about 1), make it very clear that the turns are Days (You get a day report for the last turn at the start of each turn). However, I don’t believe turns have been officially stated to be a specific measure of time in AoW III, but given the predecessors, it would be logical (if not necessarily correct) to assume that the turns in it are also days.


    Ravenholme
    Member

    <div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Antoine wrote:</div>
    I really wanted to love this game as – as I repeatedly stated and was trolled for it big time – as the perfect hybrid between HOMM and Civ.

    Sadly, so far, it turned out to be neither.

    It is neither HoMM, nor Civ, it’s AoW!

    I do think you came in looking for a game that isn’t here, and are disappointed by it. This may sound like I am trolling or flaming, but do what I do when I think about buying new games, and that is research the game in question, research the company, play some of their previous titles to get an idea of what they are about (especially if you are buying a sequel. A $5-10 outlay would have netted you AoW1,2 and SM, and then you would have had a pretty good idea what this series was about, without using Civ as a comparison point).

    Also, spend some time on the developer forums before committing.

    Couldn’t have put it better myself. And it just goes to show – For me, these games are the as-near-as-perfect mixture of Civ and HoM&M, and I think any hefty changes to empire building etc would end up lengthening multiplayer games in a not necessarily positive way.

    In fact, I’ve worked back from AoW III to the other games, and am thoroughly enjoying Shadow Magic, and there are things (especially Races) from it that I would love to see in AoW III, but I still prefer the third game, I think it’s fantastic and can’t wait to see what the devs do with it.

    in reply to: New race/class analysis #102814

    Ravenholme
    Member

    Anyway I think hands down frostling is the most likely candidate for the -ing they’ll be add-ing.

    With Necromancer a near-certainty as a class, that undermines the Undead’s presence as a race, I think, since there will likely be a huge amount of overlap between the two. Just like I doubt we will see the Nomad’s return, because the Warlord already has some similiarties (Mounted Archers, for example), and the rest of the Nomad’s units could be easily covered in another type of class, if Triumph wished.


    Ravenholme
    Member

    I’ll second BloodyBattleBrain’s recommendation that you look at Endless Legend, and I definitely agree with him about it maybe being the game that FE tries to be.

    And I’ll pitch my oar in by also agreeing that adding much more complexity (limits on number of buildings you can build, which I find a really repulsive idea, as not even Civilisation itself does that) to the empire building risks unbalancing the game in terms of flow and progression, and it’s also distinctly un-Age Of Wonders like. In fact, they added more thought and choice to where you place cities (compared to 2/SM), by making it so that resource structures have to be inside your domain for you to benefit from them, with production ones (Magma Forges etc) having to be inside the domain projected by a city for the city to reap the benefits. This is at odds to 2’s Heroes of Might and Magic style system of simply flagging resource structures.

    I’m sure there are ways to flesh out the Empire Building without compromising the flow of the game, but I am equally sure that none of the suggestions raised so far, to my mind, achieve that.

    The idea that comes to my mind, and it is completely half formed and probably requires a lot of refining, but I will toss it out there, is that certain combinations of climate and terrain type, in a small radius around the city (Say a two hex radius, so the immediate surroundings of the city sprawl hexes of a fully developed metropolis), would allow a city to produce certain unique improvements with associate benefits. So a nearby water hex would allow production of a water mill, a mountain hex would allow the construction of a mine, etc. I’m sure negatives for building these could be incorporated. You could even have it so that these improvements actually became resource structures on the map, I suppose (A return of the old water and wind mills of the previous games, perhaps), but really, I’m just writing as thoughts occur to me, now.

    • This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by  President.
    in reply to: New race/class analysis #102738

    Ravenholme
    Member

    I think the Tigrans are more likely than the Halflings, the latter straight up disappeared after a massacre in the burgeoning Commonwealth, the Tigrans, like the Frostlings, migrated away from the other races after they were asked to give up some of their traditions to fit into the Commonwealth, and refused.


    Ravenholme
    Member

    I wouldn’t like it come back. With sufficient research you’d simply get all the specialisations, which destroyed any distinction. I prefer to keep it as empire upgrades from spheres or classes, so that they stay a bit unique instead of all of them just affecting everyone in late game.

    I agree, and I think it’s one of the reasons the class system exists, to differentiate the Leaders themselves (as well as their civilisation), because as you say, the great failing of Shadow Magic/AoW2 is/was that late game, everyone would have all the specialisations, so in the end they came to mean very little (With ones such as Survivalist being prioritised)

    in reply to: Development Update & Return of Development Journals #102515

    Ravenholme
    Member

    Unless there’s something I’ve missed, the latter. It’s been wishlisted a lot, but I don’t think the devs have ever commented on it.

    Okay, cheers for that, that’s what I expected, and I can’t say I have strong feelings about racial T4s, but I’ve been playing Shadow Magic recently and there are some that I could see being interesting if they returned, but I’d rather have one of the races which end in -ling.

    in reply to: Development Update & Return of Development Journals #102511

    Ravenholme
    Member

    Hm, semi-relevant:

    I only joined the forums recently but have seen people mentioning Racial Tier 4 units now and then as something they’d like to happen/that may be happening. I was just wondering if anyone knew if the Devs had actually said that they were going to add Racial Tier 4 units, or was it just people longing for the glory days of Shadow Magic et al?

    in reply to: Development Update & Return of Development Journals #102487

    Ravenholme
    Member

    No further news from the dev yet?

    Sadly not.

    in reply to: Development Update & Return of Development Journals #102408

    Ravenholme
    Member

    DLC is not a neutral expression only refering to the way of getting content. There already are words for that : patch and expansions. But people would never have paid for patch, so they called them DLC and they now fragment games.

    And game fragmentation is bad, because it fragments MP community.

    Expansions would do just the same though so your broken record repetition of “And it fragments the MP community” doesn’t really matter, that will happen regardless. Unless Triumph goes the risky route of patching the expansion content in but making it inaccessible to someone who hasn’t bought the game, so they can still play MP games with people who have the expansions, but don’t get access to the expansion content until they pony up the cash (As they’ve done in ArmA 3 – BIS tend to be leaders in this kind of system, as they had something similar for ArmA 2)

    But honestly, no one here is NOT going to buy the expansion content at some point, so it doesn’t really matter.

    in reply to: Ideas for the theocrat #102352

    Ravenholme
    Member

    Surely the Gods of Order/War/Magic/Nature from AoW 2 and SM could make a return, if that were the case? A Theocrat dedicates himself to one of them, or a generalist god (The All-Father mentioned in the Campaign), and get a slight bonus (and weakness) based on it.

    That said, I don’t actually like this idea, if only because it then throws the Theocrat wildly out of balance with the other leader types by implementing a mechanic purely for them that only they can take advantage of

    in reply to: Development Update & Return of Development Journals #102337

    Ravenholme
    Member

    I’m pretty sure Lennart Sas was meaning paid DLC, free updates are free content updates (analogous to small, free DLC, or implementation of new features such as Steam Workshop support), patches are bugfixes/balance changes, etc (obviously free)

    Basically, get used to the idea that y’all will be paying for the expansion stuff (New Race, Classes and Campaign) mentioned in this update. If it turns out that we don’t have to pay, that’s all well and good, and everyone will be happy, but better to start preparing your wallet now than fruitlessly hoping that Triumph will not need to turn a profit from us (Which they will, the fact that we’re a smaller than average community means it is even more imperative they make money)

    in reply to: Development Update & Return of Development Journals #102271

    Ravenholme
    Member

    Well, actually, even in the good old days, from around the advent of DOS games onwards, games were cut into pieces, depending on your definition of “cut into pieces”. Certainly, that was the era of the expansion pack. All that digital distribution does is allow them to market smaller pieces of expansion, and generally for a lower price, as I imagine will be the case with Triumph (Unless they decide to surprise me and go for a large expansion pack).

    Sure, some DLC is marketing you back stuff that should’ve been in the game from the start, but outside of the big publishers like EA, Activision and Ubisoft, that is far from the norm.

    in reply to: Development Update & Return of Development Journals #102263

    Ravenholme
    Member

    I don’t like paid dlc, because they are taxing those who buy first the most, because the game always end in some package complete at low cost. Paid dlc is a bit like selling the game in parts.

    Of course sometimes it’s worth it, but the principle of it is evil IMO.

    You can say that about literally any game though, because the base game will no doubt go on sale at some point for cheaper, so it is taxing those who buy first. Of course it is, because those people usually are enthusiastic enough to give the devs or publishers the full price because they feel it is worth it.

    Welcome to Capitalism?


    Ravenholme
    Member

    Really? That’s strange, I was playing Mirror Pact with some friends and my ally kept using Authority of the Sword on my cities.

    in reply to: Development Update & Return of Development Journals #102233

    Ravenholme
    Member

    They used the word expansion, not update, nit DLC, but expansion. I expect that it will not be free like an update, nor as small as a DLC, but rather a proper expansion.

    I would suspect that you’re right, though it is worth noting that nowadays an expansion is (generally) a form of DLC, and some things called DLC are actually the size of Expansions of old (Thinking specifically of, say, Artorias of the Abyss for Dark Souls).


    Ravenholme
    Member

    Slightly off-topic: The new race (or the planned new content coming along with it) that is currently in the works, will it be available in the form of a free update, or a paid DLC? I sincerely hope in the former possibility…

    The mention it as part of an expansion, expansions are usually paid-for content. And actually, I’m okay with this. Triumph has to make money some how, and I would much rather get some decently sized DLC/Expansion packs than they jump to making another game or expandalone.

    I actually want them to put up the ‘upgrade to DE’ option on steam that they’ve talked about because I would gladly give them more money, they deserve it, and if they’re giving me sizeable new content (Race and classes), then they definitely deserve even more of my cash.

    in reply to: GOG or Steam? Megathread #102157

    Ravenholme
    Member

    Not sure the GOG version can use the Workshop, and well, that’s the rub. Steam offers features that DRM free versions would find it MUCH harder to integrate (nigh on impossible, actually) thanks to the steam API.

    Speaking of which, I remember the developers saying they were exploring the possibility of a method of upgrading standard editions purchased through steam to the Deluxe edition – Is there any news on that front? I would love to upgrade to the DE and give Triumph more money, especially for the soundtrack (which I’ve fallen in love with), but all the other stuff would be nice too.

    in reply to: Please reintroduce specialized heroes #101995

    Ravenholme
    Member

    I broadly agree with everything that iHunterKiller has said, but would maybe amend the thing about unmounted/mounted heroes. I would actually go about this by simply making their basic mount an item that can be removed from their mount slot in the inventory to make them unmounted, and allow there to be skills or skill paths that better utilise them in combat in one of the states (One of the main problems I see though is that mounts add some very desirable stat bonuses at the higher rarity tiers, which an unmounted hero would be locked out of in combat).

    This would allow, say, a Warlord hero who specialises in combat on his own feet, to still ride a horse for bonus movement on the strategic layer, as transport (OR a flying mount, or a mount that gives lava walking, etc). Or perhaps they would still give infantry heroes mounts, and the stat bonuses from them (Barring tactical movement bonuses), but in the TC layer they wouldn’t use them. (Still a problem with flying mounts though…)

    in reply to: Pirate Class #101971

    Ravenholme
    Member

    Additional to the last two comments, it would be a class where the utility would be severely hampered on maps without water, so it’s use would be too specific. A new class is a lot of effort to go to for it to only be truly useful on Islands RMs.

    in reply to: Development Update & Return of Development Journals #101896

    Ravenholme
    Member

    Well, if we assume that the campaign will involve the race/class combination that they add, at least in it’s first level, and we accept that the class is very likely Necromancer, from what the Devs have hinted before, then it is very probable that the race is Frostlings. They’re more likely to turn to Necromancy than the Hobbits (Who were Good to the Frostlings Neutral), especially if they’ve been co-opted by the.. uh.. actual villains of the AoW III campaign (I know it is not much of a spoiler but still…), as the Commonwealth campaign seems to suggest some sort of link there.

    That, and I think the Frostlings would be pragmatic enough to turn to Necromancy if the situation called for it, they’re not evil (as such), they’ll just do anything to survive.

Viewing 30 posts - 1,261 through 1,290 (of 1,290 total)