Forum Replies Created
April 18, 2018 at 09:08 in reply to: Alpha tests launched, custom campaign announced for the Shadow Realm Expansion #271218
MeandorFebruary 9, 2018 at 07:35 in reply to: Triumph’s New Game to be announced May 18th @ PDXCon! #269603
Thats really outstanding news! 2000 hours+ AOW 3 total played and still playing from time to time. Hope your next project will keep the mark.
Really no point in spreading not so big AOW community into more different leagues\sites\etc. There is a steam group NQ, BF site and why do you need another one? It will be abandoned in a few weeks.
And you can earn steam achievements only logged in AFAIK
BTW, as answer to my question:
If you want to enable RG, MSU and defending units from DLCs just open campaign maps in editor (classic campaigns can be opened, expansion ones cannot), for each map enable halfling and necro DLC modules and save them.
This will let you play all classic campaigns with MSUs, RG and DLC units.
Ah thats what I thought. Thanks, Hiliadan.
Sorry for bumping up old thread but I have already forgotten are MSUs working in classic campaigns if you have halfing DLC? IIRC, vassal mechanics works, RG – not. But what about MSU?
Some obvious mistakes made by streamers IMHO (not all may be refferenced to you but still it is a pain to watch some lets plays due to):
1) Hex grid enabled. If you are streaming FOR people, you should probably turn it off as ppl like to watch in relaxed mode. It ruins the visual.
2) Fast combat animation. Same as #1 – it is quite useful in tideous or MP games but in streams you should stick to visuals. You should not use it ever.
3) Less talk – more action. It means you should not describe EVERY click or your decision. And do not roam around map clicking random things describing stuff. Just do not waste time – play in a pretty fast pace, do not return to things you already done. And do not talk every second. Some pauses are pretty welcome.
4) If you are doing a video for public viewing – you should play game quite well (at least be able to beat a campaign on hardest) and know all aspects somehow. Reading unit description or looking into ToW every time is boring as hell. Ppl wont watch video lets plays if they are newbies in AoW – they will watch tutorials. Lets plays are for experienced ppl mostly.
Necro suffers most against machines so I can advice to:
1) Take grey guard master. It helps a lot with cardinal culling (40% physical weakness)
2) Bone collectors. They have demolisher
3) Sacrifice some banshees for cry (success applies a stun chance on machines). You can resurrect banshees later
4) Use mass ghouled random units (t3-t4). You can easily get lots by the endgame shrines. Manticores or random t3s can do a job
5) DO NOT use low hp necro units such as t1-t2 racials unless storm sisters with several champ medals. It is a meat in lategame.
6) Try to make some stacks with bone collectors\death bringers\reanimators\reapers. Such wreak havoc on everything except machines
7) You cant avoid spells though you can suck casting points using trash ghouls first. You can easily outnumber any AI and most human players (esp in PBEM). Spread out your units.
8) To counter teleporting supports pull them closer with heavy bones\reapers. They have 1 shot only after port. Dont know how this can be an issue
I really dont know why do we need another panel. Interface shouldbe compact, without lots and lots of windows. If you are playing a map – you probably know where your troops are and overview button is very rare occasion. But well, it is up to everyones individualy.
Just try it and you will see. Some find campaign challenging, esp on high difficulty.
Or try skirmish RM with 7 emperor AIs allied vs you. XL continent map. I doubt you will succeed.
3) It is already implemented. Go to “quest” tab in the upper left corner and there you can see multiple tabs. Quests, empire quests, heroes, etc. Among them you can find your troops overviewr and cities overview exactly in a way you described.
About 1 and 2 – wont happen as it is an extremely low priority thing.
Thats great news.
I remeber unofficial 1.4 patch for AoW2SM and that was brilliant. As well as Brave New World mod.
And back to AoW3 it is fantastic that some members are joined together to create something like that.
As far as I know, Charlatan been doing custom campaign with tons of new things. My question is – will we get a new campaign also with this expansion or you will just sort out races/dwellings/specializations/layers/etc to work with RMG?
I really wish we can get a campaign or two, that will be fantastic!
Nevertheless, keep up great work!
One more question – any ETA or progress?
Thank you for reply!
I might have missed some of the scenarios you mentioned (probably 3 of them) so will take a look with a mod you released. Thank you for trying to make AOW3 mapping better!
The mod is fully compatible with all M.Ul.E scenarios
What are those scenarios?
TBH despite I appreciate mapmakers work there are 0 (ye, zero) maps in steam workshop suitable for SP play. 2 problems exist:
1) Map is poorly designed. Lots of structures in one place, screens of undecorated forest\plains. Map just looks poor. 70% of the maps are like this
2) If maps is designed well (there are some) then it has terrible balance which makes map totally boring. F.e. Ability to capture legendary sites on turn 1 due to strong extra units. Ability to hire wandering dragon on turn 1. Cities very very close to each other, huge starting armies with everything else on default etc etc
There are just no, no good SP maps for AoW3. And just 1-2 suitable for MP. In elder days there were plenty of great maps for AoW2 from splendid mapmakers (I remember gorgeous maps by The Grol) and I am sad there are none for 3. I just hate RMG and found it extremely boring on 4th game already that EVERYTHING is the same in RMG. Yes, it is random and good for MP battles, but SP on random maps is total bs, excuse me. Sadly “popular” (I can say a lot easier) maps to make are “ballanced 8-players large map”. It is very easy to create another “start here and play a side you want” map. A lot harder to make an interesting SP map which favours CPU-only players so they start in advantage. A perfect example is a map from devs where you 3 human players should defeat 1 warlord CPU.
I know that ppl play RMG mostly (though I have no idea why? A good hand-made map is a LOT more fun to play at least for 2 times) but still there are some like me who appreciate campaigns and interesting SP scenarios. Sadly there are still nothing to play.
P.S. Sorry to all map makers there were no intentions to insult you but it is a truth. I am also doing a map from time to time but it is still far from end and you know, you wont play your own map, esp scripted – it is just not funFebruary 12, 2016 at 06:50 in reply to: Вопрос по некоторым аспектам игры и уровням сложности #240557
Саммон АД – 1-3 в раунд, рандом.
Yes, elven bonus for pop is probably okay as it doesnt affect things that much.
About dragon monument – indeed, if there is no lava – no bonus, and vice a versa – lots of lava – very OP. Thank you for looking into things.
Aye, lots of lava. Well, mountains and forest tiles are a lot more common than lava.
Yes I was talking about bonus per hex vs stable bonus. And the city I was talking about is draconian with firedrake heritage indeed.
The problem in my PoV is that difference between stable bonus +6 mana or +3 research vs bonus per hex is tremendous and sometimes a city can become very OP. Right now I can easily build 1-turn shadow stalkers in 3 draconian cities.
So there is absolutely no point to build another building line-up in this 3 cases and other races became a lot weaker since you can build 1st buildings very cheap and from turn 1
All bonuses should be small (like stable ones) and there should be no bonus per hex (or at least give it to all races to balance and move to the last tier building). Right now I am playing without building “cheat” buildings. Otherwise mod is really great and add a lot of variety.
Great mod mate, thanks! My 2 cents.
1) It will be good do add a description to building lines to show the aligment (good/evil) of the units they provide. So that player with pure evil wont choose a path for good ali units and can plan in advance
2) It seems a bit OP for the 1st tier structures. They are really cheap and provide HUGE bonus sometimes (total 3 research vs production per tile). I had a city with 400 production( Maybe it will be a good idea to balance em so they wont depend on tiles (just fixed bonus)?
Id say that Necromancers can easily beat Theo and it is Theo who has hard time facing Necro. The only troubles Necro could have are shrines as they are machines.November 3, 2015 at 09:20 in reply to: [MOD] Decodence – Map-Editor Content and Leader Customizations #236386
Charlatan! Every. Single. Thing!
You created is absolutely outstanding! I appreciate other modders work also but things you are doing are absolutely essential imo and I am looking for user-created content based on your mod.
Ye, same thing. I totally dislike RMG despite majority says “RMG is 99% of every 4x strategy”. I just dont like boring standart skirmish maps.
I can say that AOW RMG is great and I play MP a lot – thats where I play only random maps and thats just fine. But SP is another experience and I never use RMG for that.
Sadly, not that much good maps around and (sorry, map makers, I know it takes a lot of time) NO SP campaign-style 1-player maps around atm which are worth playing.
There are some descent maps in the workshop but still they are playable by all races so they are balanced and not like “You are player 1, other players are CPU only, have great advantage, etc” and good story+scripts.
Maybe in future as mod tools are released we will get some good SP maps\mini-campaigns and I know some ppl have already WIP, but not atm.
I actually have no idea why do ppl would play user created skirmish standart “balanced” map for 4, 6, 8 human players if they have RMG which can do nearly the same maps? SO the key point is to Ddo SP or very unusual maps, sadly, not much around.
I have been doing my SP 1-player only heavy-scripted map for some months (XXL size, 3 levels, 1 human player only, fixed race-class, story-driven) and drawn half of the entire map already (sic!) as well as about 1/10 of scripts (300+ scripts already) but not much time lately and I should think over as mod tools are released. I wish we have some similar projects around. There are some as I said but still not that much as we had on heavengames during AOW2 era.
I played elven Necro a lot and I can say one of the best builds IMHO is shadow master and expander to compensate lack of city pop.
Actually any necro is good with it.
Косяков настолько мало, что она реально не очень заметны. ИМХО сейчас все вполне приемлемо.
Elven Necros are one of the best Necros IMO.
Well that just signifies the problem with the question. Almost anything we can think of someone can come back and say “It’s actually one of the best.”
My understanding tho is that Necromancer is a difficult class in PVP. That may be an incorrect statement. I imagine an Elf Necro to be especially difficult in PVP.
Thats true. It depends on your playstyle and solo/MP game type.
For Necro in general, it is a rare class in classic MP games – with auto vs ai. Though in PBEM games it is quite balanced and powerful class which can be played even easier than others due to access to tons of healing, esp with 2 heals from turn 1.
I am hard pressed to think of a truly awful combo. Possibly Elf Necromancer if I was pressed hard to think of something.
Elven Necros are one of the best Necros IMO. I wrote a wide post with an approximate tactics for this setup using shadowborn master and expander.
The only weakness is only 80% blight protection not 100% on reanimators, which gain TA – a lot better and Death bringers. Also, on ghouls which are used as meat post mid game. You can surely live with that.
Another weakness in pop growth is compensated with expander.
And you get the most vital and fitting better than all others RG upgrades 2-3. Also, research bonus from elves. Those are, IMO ofc, are the most vital parts of necro’s gameplay. You will always be first for t4 if playing properly. And I can say, a lot earlier than others. And reapers for non-dread in mid game are…
Being an elf reanimators and heroes compensates lack of elven healing. And unit line-up (esp it is important on map start) is better for clearing from the 1st turn. Also, by turn 10 you will have some elite SS (mostly you have 1 or more from start, or evolving irrs) and could clear any treasure sites, including mythical, hurrying cities prod as you will have tons of resources. And fastly developed Necro is unstoppable Necro)
You can have your own opinion on all that things and can play completely differently, I just wanted to say that elven Necro for me is the most powerful and I played this setup a lot.
Никак. Лидером делается самый сильный юнит, если нет героя, либо герой, если нет Лидера. Герой-лидер выбирается по количеству перков для армии, а не по уровню. Лидер же всегда является лидером стака, если он есть в стаке.
1) Настолько незначительная вещь, что ИМХО не имеет смысла даже писать об этом. Но если есть желание – на багфоруме можно создать тему.
2) За 1000 часов игры не было ни одного вылета кроме того периода, когда после апдейта игра крашилась и это было исправлено.
I am strongly against it. I really hate random spawns and POI recharges in all strat games. It is not a “live”, it is just an artificial method to introduce more randomness which is not needed at all. It is a TBS, and there is a hell loads of randomness already. Actually I never play much TBS games with too much random as warlock, f.e. It is quite fine at the beginning but became extremely boring later.
Well, just MHO, you know.